• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS vs PSP software in Japan (LTD - 10 April)

Hero said:
It's still too early to make a justified comparison between the two systems. It's going to take until after the 2005 holiday season to see how both systems will stack up. Of course, if Nintendogs causes the DS to pull the lead so far, it might be over before it's begun. :p

I doubt it is too early to compare. The DS is the 1984 Tigers. 64+ bit handheld war is done and the next GB hasn't even been shown. Sony miscalculated the handheld market. They mishandled the PSP launches. Sony knows home consoles, but they sure don't know handhelds. maybe next time...

Rock_Man

heidern said:
What is really interesting though, is that one of the main drivers for the 3rd party numbers on the psp is Namco. Their games have a total of 591K out of 1.492M. In other words, 40% of 3rd party games sold on the psp are Namco published.

It´s amazing how important early Namco games are for playstation systems.

PS best selling games 1995 (Japan):
1. Tekken (Namco) 942,000
2. Arc the Lad (Sony) 697,000
3. Ridge Racer (Namco) 548,000
4. Ace Combat (Namco) 522,000
5. Ridge Racer Revolution (Namco) 418,000

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so those numbers, does 100k worldwide for polarium make a fully featured sequel likely? I thought polarium was almost totally awesome, but needed a few things, better presentation and more puzzles/modes. not sure if they could really take it far enough for a sequel though..... is 100k the world over considered "good"?

Odnetnin

Banned
catfish said:
so those numbers, does 100k worldwide for polarium make a fully featured sequel likely? I thought polarium was almost totally awesome, but needed a few things, better presentation and more puzzles/modes. not sure if they could really take it far enough for a sequel though..... is 100k the world over considered "good"?

psst. A polarium sequel has already been announced.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Odnetnin said:
psst. A polarium sequel has already been announced.
I thought that was a typo in a thread that the starter fixed after somebody mentioned it...... from a thread talking about articles in some magazine (I forget which and who)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
catfish said:
Considering the fact that it must not have taken a lot of money to make polarium, I think Nintendo earned a healthy profit on it.

Odnetnin

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Considering the fact that it must not have taken a lot of money to make polarium, I think Nintendo earned a healthy profit on it.

yup what he said. That plus the fact that the sequel will probably cost less to make (depends on what they add of course). Its sort of just rejigging the courses + adding skins :) isn't it.

I'm quite interested in the puzzlers on DS.... .... one day I guess.

Odnetnin

Banned
fuck polarium. I want a panel de pon or Pokemon puzzle attack title for DS. Man, the GBC/SNES versions were hawt.

BuzzJive

Rock_Man said:
That doesn´t mean third party games automatically sell better on psp.

DS Mahjong Taikai - Koei - 34,545
PSP Mahjong Taikai - Koei - 15,264

DS Puyo Puyo Fever - Sega - 82,898
PSP Puyo Puyo Fever - Sega - 49,345

I'm glad somebody else is looking at trying to compare apples to apples. Not to mention Meteos outselling Lumines, and most definitely costing less for Q to produce.

It's not cut and dry that the PSP is better for third parties. It's too early to get accurate "trends"

Top Bottom