• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS2 vs DS1: Does anyone prefer the old one ?

ourumov

Well, I've always tried to don't use the DS2...The reasons were many:
-It was my only DS2
-The 100% analog functionality seemed somewhat cool
-I didn't want to screw it since it seemed very easy to break
Anyways when compared to the old DS1 you feel like if the DS2 was made of paper and this makes you feel uncomfortable. Specially when playing games that require fast input such as DMC, VF4, Onimusha... or even when playing fighting games of the old PSone (Street Fighter Alpha 3).
The fact is that I always try to avoid the use of it since not only it works worse for me but also I don't like holding it.
Another important factor is that the weight is different from the original, it weights less and well...it's a bit weird.
The problem comes when there is a fucking game that doesn't support DS1 like The Getaway or Silent Hill 2 to name a few...

Jonnyram

I honestly can't say I noticed a difference. I use a DS2 regularly on my PS2 and I have a DS1 connected to my PC for various PC games. I don't use the DS1 as much, but I don't really feel a noticeable difference, other than the sticks having a rougher surface on the DS1 - but that might just be because I don't use it so much.

I liked the original PS One analog controller with the longer handles and the dimpled analogs. I'm trying to remember one of the early games I played with it (ooh it supports analog control *gasp*)...some fucking racing game I think..

ChrisReid

Hmm.. So I guess this isn't a thread about whether we prefer to original E3 Nintendo DS to the finalized design announced a few weeks back.

Well, I prefer my DS because my DS2 sticks began to make squeaky noises after only two years of use, while my six year old DS is still good as new.

john tv

ChrisReid said:
Hmm.. So I guess this isn't a thread about whether we prefer to original E3 Nintendo DS to the finalized design announced a few weeks back.
Exactly what I thought, in which case I was going to reply simply with "no."

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ChrisReid said:

so true...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm pretty much the opposite: I prefer using the DS2 to the DS1 because I've had better luck with them. My DS1's all have had the misfortune of people tripping on their wires, my PS1 fell down over 10 times because of them, and some of the falls were pretty violent (suprised the damn thing still works, to be honest) and as a result, the wiring on the DS1 is showing. Now...I'm not an expert on game controllers, but I imagine fine copper wiresbeing exposed on your controllers isn't a good thing, and as such, I prefer to use the DS2 for everything. Emulation, PS2 and PS1 games...only time I pull out the DS1 is during 'gamenight' when people forget to bring controllers

and about the Nintendo DS: why the hell would someone choose the original? it's a question that's not even worth asking

The original dual-analog controller was definitely the best design of the three (DS, DS2, dual-analog). Better casing (long, meatier handles), and much better stick tips. If it had the DS-rumble, it would have been perfect, as far as that design is concerned. Tobal 2 and Ace Combat 2 were great with it -- got those controllers just for these games.

Gattsu25

Banned
Laurent said:
DUAL SHOCK... A so short name, why would anyone use an acronym for it? Is it hard to spell?

Dual Shock 2
Playstation 2
DS2
PS2

maybe?

I don't think anyone called the controllers DS until the 'DS2' and 'PS2' arrived

Gattsu25

Banned
Just thought I'd ask here: I've heard this complaint over and over and over again:

Does anyone here feel the DS/DS2's sticks are too loose?

In my entire history of console gaming, the only analog stick that I ever felt was too loose or too tight was with the N64, but I freely admit to only owning second-hand controllers for that

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does anyone here feel the DS/DS2's sticks are too loose?

In my entire history of console gaming, the only analog stick that I ever felt was too loose or too tight was with the N64, but I freely admit to only owning second-hand controllers for that
If you put your two fingers on the fresh new Xbox controller stick and the fresh new PS2 controller stick, and move them simultaneously pushing the sticks together - I bet you won't be able to tell that there's ANY difference in the force you need to push them. At least I can't see any difference. Therefore I think the whole 'loose' argument is complete BS, or the people complaining about it are using worn out controllers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There's another thing, though. There are two versions of the DS2 controller out there. First one, that I got with my 40001 PS2, is made of a nicer, slightly textured plastic that never sticks to your skin. The one that I've got with the new 500001 model, is made of some polished plastic that kinda sticks to your skin a bit, especially when your palms get sweaty, which is not very nice. I am not sure which model is being sold when you purchase the separate controller. I definitely prefer using the old one (although, now I use Logitech cordless action controller anyways). Other than the type of the plastic, there's no perceivable difference between them, though.

firex

My DS at least seems to have worn out pretty fast. DS2 is better but not by some hugely revolutionary standard. It's not my favorite controller (mostly because it's a bit too small so I have to grip the shoulders of it differently than every other controller) but it's not bad.

If anything I like that DS2 is actually analog... at least in my experience, my old DS1 just does the same digital input as the crosspad, but it's obviously easier to move from one direction to the other. I'd say that it's just some PS1 games not using the DS1 fully, but if that's the case, every single DS1 enabled game I own on my PS1 doesn't use the controller fully.

Laurent

Gattsu25 said:
Dual Shock 2
Playstation 2
DS2
PS2

maybe?

I don't think anyone called the controllers DS until the 'DS2' and 'PS2' arrived
I don't think anyone as used the name Dual Shock so often in a post as ourumov just did. When using acronyms, you should write the entire name at least once, when you first mention it... I do that enven with consoles name!

The DS2 seems more refined to me. Analog control is smoother and the D-pad isn't qute as stiff, and most of the buttons seem to have a smoother throw. I also like it better because the rumble function hasn't shown any sign of failing, while in every DS I've had, after a time they get so that rumble vibrations will knock the controller out of analog mode. Drives me nuts.

Laurent

Gattsu25 said:
what does popularity have to do with your initial complaint? :b
If an acronym is popular, like PS2 or GCN, the majority of people will know what you are talking about...

User 406

Banned
I actually hated all control pads until the Dual Shock 2 was made. The slightly different shape from the DS1 and the lower weight made it just about perfect. I can play for hours with it non-stop without fatigue or tension.

Teddman

XS+ said:
Somebody from Opa Ages made a decent case that the original PSX Dual Analog Pad was better than either DS controller:

http://opa-ages.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9470&b=1&st=&p=&#entry
Why, thank you! You can also check that article out at TNL, with slightly better formatting.

I did prefer the design of Sony's original Dual Analog Pad (DAP), mainly because the controller sits so well in the hand with its longer handles, even if the thumbsticks are a bit looser. Plus it has a groovy green light!

dap_vs_ds2.jpg

The most dramatic difference between the Dual Analog Pad and the Dual Shock is the length of the handles.

sony_dap.jpg

The DAP's flightstick emulation "green mode" was removed from the Dual Shock.

jarrod

Banned
So exactly how many PlayStation controller revisions have there been? By my count...

01 PlayStation Controller JP
02 PlayStation Controller NA/EU (slightly larger, connected D-pad underneath, longer handles)
03 PlayStation Dual Analog Controller (2 analog sticks)
04 PlayStation Single Shock Controller (rumble, tighter analog sticks, shorter handles)
05 PlayStation Dual Shock Controller (dual rumble)
06 PlayStation 2 Dual Shock 2 Controller (analog buttons)

...is that all correct?

Teddman

jarrod said:
So exactly how many PlayStation controller revisions have there been? By my count...

01 PlayStation Controller JP
02 PlayStation Controller NA/EU (slightly larger, connected D-pad underneath, longer handles)
03 PlayStation Dual Analog Controller (2 analog sticks)
04 PlayStation Single Shock Controller (rumble, tighter analog sticks, shorter handles)
05 PlayStation Dual Shock Controller (dual rumble)
06 PlayStation 2 Dual Shock 2 Controller (analog buttons)

...is that all correct?
Between 03 and 04, there was a North American version of the Dual Analog Pad that was the same as 03, but had no rumble. That's the gray model pictured above. Also, 03 had rumble (Japan only).

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:
Between 03 and 04, there was a North American version of the Dual Analog Pad that was the same as 03, but had no rumble. That's the gray model pictured above. Also, 03 had rumble (Japan only).
Are you talking about the Single Shock? It was Japan only iirc...

It's a little startling that PS1 had 5-6 major controller revisions... has any other platform had that many?

Teddman

jarrod said:
Are you talking about the Single Shock? It was Japan only iirc..
I don't think so, as it still had the longer handles and sticks of the DAP.

Basically, the DAP came out in Japan first, and it had rumble. Then it came out later in the U.S., but the rumble had been removed. The latter controller is the one I posted above.

Top Bottom