• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual core Intel CPU coming ahead of schedule

Izzy

Banned
Dual core in 2005

Intel plans to unveil a dual-core processor, codenamed Smithfield, in mid-2005 instead of sometime in 2006, as originally planned, according to sources at Taiwan motherboard makers.

Intel plans to roll out three versions of the Smithfield processor. One version will be targeted for the performance segment and will be supported by the Glenwood chipset. Two mainstream versions will be supported by the Lakeport chipset, the sources noted.

The Smithfield processors will be resident in socket LGA-775, currently in use on Intel 915/925 motherboards. This will limit the impact on motherboard makers as they move to the new platform, the sources explained. Motherboard makers have welcomed this move by Intel, the sources added.

The Smithfield dual-core processors will be built using a 90nm process.

The first dual-core processor from Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), for the desktop, codenamed Toledo, is slated for launch in the second half of 2005.

Intel's back's against the wall. It's do or die time soon, or they will lose their lead to AMD.

That Dothan derived dual core CPU can't come soon enough.

edit: Ah shit, I just found out that "Smithfield" might be a dual Prescott variant instead of dual Dothan. That won't do against dual A64FX Toledo~ It'll get killed again!

Arcticfox

Izzy said:
Intel is in fucking trouble. Why on Earth was Tejas canned?
Intel's official line is that nothing was wrong with Tejas, they just thought multi-core CPU's would be faster. Most rumors say that the Tejas' power consumption would have been way too high and it would have been impossible to air cool.

Culex

Banned
Arcticfox said:
Intel's official line is that nothing was wrong with Tejas, they just thought multi-core CPU's would be faster. Most rumors say that the Tejas' power consumption would have been way too high and it would have been impossible to air cool.

That and when AMD announced that they would have dual-core CPU's out by 2nd quarter 2005, Intel hit the "Oh, shit!" button.

Izzy

Banned
Arcticfox said:

Yeah, I read it, but somehow I don't believe their official line. IMO, the projected Tejas specs were way overambitious, especially clock and bus speeds.

retardboy

They should have released the IA64 to the consumer market when they had the chance to corner the 64bit market. AMD would be all but dead by now. Stupid x86-64.

doncale

Banned
fook yeah.

I love it when the industry bully gets their fookin ass kicked, hard, then is forced to do something great.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I've been reading about Intel's future plans for a minute now. Funny how those on top always seem to fuck up royally after they've been on top for a while.

I can't wait to see what they end up doing in the long run.

MASB

retardboy said:
They should have released the IA64 to the consumer market when they had the chance to corner the 64bit market. AMD would be all but dead by now. Stupid x86-64.
I think that would have been a disaster. There's a reason the Itanium chips are nicknamed the Itanic and it's not because of high quality. ;) As for Intel's plans, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with, but I think their troubles will continue for a few more years.

goodcow

DaCocoBrova said:
I've been reading about Intel's future plans for a minute now. Funny how those on top always seem to fuck up royally after they've been on top for a while.

I can't wait to see what they end up doing in the long run.

Yeah, I can't wait for Sony to crash and burn.

retardboy

MASB said:
I think that would have been a disaster. There's a reason the Itanium chips are nicknamed the Itanic and it's not because of high quality. ;) As for Intel's plans, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with, but I think their troubles will continue for a few more years.

The IA64 architecture is 1000 fold better than the dated x86. It would be better for all people. Instead, we now have to continue the broken x86 for a million more years.

Culex

Banned
retardboy said:
The IA64 architecture is 1000 fold better than the dated x86. It would be better for all people. Instead, we now have to continue the broken x86 for a million more years.

Not true at all. IA64 is practically incompatible with with 32-bit code, and the performance using it is dismal. Which is why no OEM's really bothered with it. Not to mention, you have to train people how to code for the damn thing, since it's an entirely new system.

shpankey

not an idiot
Does this have anything to do with microsoft using sinilar technology from IBM? Sounds like Intel is reactionary.

retardboy

Culex said:
Not true at all. IA64 is practically incompatible with with 32-bit code, and the performance using it is dismal. Which is why no OEM's really bothered with it. Not to mention, you have to train people how to code for the damn thing, since it's an entirely new system.

That's why these days, there is a layer that will emulate 32bit code. But the thing is, if everything changed over to 64bit and was optimized for IA64, everyone would be better off. It's just much cleaner than x86. You need to start over sometime.

Top Bottom