• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock Fighting game set-ups (what is yours?)

neptunes

dualshock_green_ps1.gif

I've been looking for the best fighting game configuration for the longest time.

It's been a couple months and I still can't find the right one. I usually have this problem with 6 button fighters (SF Alpha, MvC etc...)

What is configurations do you guys have?

The best config is: Square, Triangle, L1 (Jab, Strong, Fierce); X, Circle, R1 (Short, Forward, Roundhouse).

Some yahoo's will tell you it's supposed to be: L1, Square, Triangle (Jab, Strong, Fierce); R1, X, Circle (Short, Forward, Roundhouse).

Oh and of course L2 and R2 as PPP, KKK.

neptunes

Don't worry I once tried using my d-pad as jab(<) strong(^) and my L1 as fierce.

I even tried using the second analog stick for my movement. :)

Ryu

dualshock_green_ps11.gif

A few things about my setup:

1. I don't have lights. Some say that's a bad thing, but really in SFIII, I have not seen lights do nearly as much good as they have in other street fighter games. The primary focus is on mediums and hards and though many don't share that philosphy, it's something I have adapted myself to.

2. With no lights means I can't do standing throws (as in Ken's grab throw where he hits you four times). I have to press forward or back and hit both of the PPP and KKK buttons. No big loss to me. So long as I can perform throws without fail.

3. Going from medium to hard in any move is a friggin breeze with this setup and also makes Ken's crouching MK to SA-III occur flawlessly every single time I want to do it.

4. The UOH is REALLY easy to pull off with this setup as well though some may diagree.

5. My only drawback, making lights impossible for me to throw in at this time, is that I can't have the L1 and L2 buttons functioning at all. On occasion, I have hit those buttons by accident and messed up certain moves so it's good for me to turn them off.

Sai

Jab = Square

Strong = Triangle

Fierce = L1

(PPP) = L2

Short = X

Foward = Circle

Roundhouse = R1

(KKK) = R2

... Yep...

Ryu

I edited my post to explain why. The primary reason why I am not used to using the L buttons is because on the adapters I've been using for the Dreamcast version, it somehow moved both L and R to the right side on the PS2 pad so R1 was the right trigger and R2 was the left trigger. In that sense, I have become very used to using R1 and R2 but can't use L1 or L2. I could always learn, but eh, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I think some bastards have been nicking my config, I'm increasingly seeing other people use my l33t fighting config & tactics so I may as well share it here :p

dualshock.gif

Matlock

Banned
Freeburn said:
I think some bastards have been nicking my config, I'm increasingly seeing other people use my l33t fighting config & tactics so I may as well share it here :p

dualshock.gif

That be mine, too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
DJ Demon J said:
Some yahoo's will tell you it's supposed to be: L1, Square, Triangle (Jab, Strong, Fierce); R1, X, Circle (Short, Forward, Roundhouse).

Oh and of course L2 and R2 as PPP, KKK.

It is.

Ryu said:
I edited my post to explain why. The primary reason why I am not used to using the L buttons is because on the adapters I've been using for the Dreamcast version, it somehow moved both L and R to the right side on the PS2 pad so R1 was the right trigger and R2 was the left trigger. In that sense, I have become very used to using R1 and R2 but can't use L1 or L2. I could always learn, but eh, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

WHAT!?
how are you supposed to do crouch short, short, super??

Ryu

Short short super is hardly as potent as other methods. For most characters, the jab and short range is pathetic and easily made up for from a much more powerful longer reaching strong or forward.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
I always configure the DS2 as follows:

Square = Jab
Triangle = Fierce
X = Short
Circle = Roundhouse
L1 = Strong
R1 = Forward
L2 = PPP or KKK
R2 = KKK or PPP
Select/Start = Taunt

:)

XS+

Banned
For SF: Meds are on the right triggers, I can do med attack XX special/super on the triggers a lot easier than light attacks. Taunts and other special actions are on the right triggers. This setup isn't diagonal Aegis Reflector-friendly but whatever, I don't own 3S PS2 yet anyway. I don't bother with the PPP/KKK mapping since you only need to press your thumb betweeen the two face punch/kick buttons to fire a super or EX or whatever.

This setup is only temporary until I order a Magic Box for my beloved Saturn pads.

Square = Jab
L1 = Strong
Triangle = Fierce

X = Short
L2 = Forward
Circle = Roundhouse

R1 = PPP
R2 = KKK

I rarely use mediums, better to have the fastest and strongest buttons easily available.

For other fighting games, I have adapted the Soul Blade setup:

Square = H Strike
Triangle = V Strike
Circle = Kick
X = Guard

VF (although I use 3-button stick setup now):

Square = Punch
Triangle = Throw
Circle = Kick
X = Guard

DoA:

Square = Punch
Triangle = Throw
Circle = Kick
X = Reversal/Free

GGXX:

Square = Slash
Triangle = S. Slash
Circle = Kick
X = Punch

Ferrio

Banned
. I don't have lights. Some say that's a bad thing, but really in SFIII, I have not seen lights do nearly as much good as they have in other street fighter games. The primary focus is on mediums and hards and though many don't share that philosphy, it's something I have adapted myself to.

tsk tsk

evil ways

Same ol' Square, Triangle, L1 for punches and X, Circle, R1 for kicks, from weakest to strongest.

As for the Namco figthers and VF4, I set the L and R buttons as the throws. Very helpful, especially for King.

Ploid 3.0

neptunes said:
wow, everyone's set-up is different.

I guess you just have to find your own groove.

Yea, I like the "Square, Triangle, L1 (Jab, Strong, Fierce); X, Circle, R1 (Short, Forward, Roundhouse)." just like DJ but I'm going to test out Ryu's but have the jabs as L1, and light kick as L2. Taunts will be select/start if I can do that in SF3.

For GGX2 I have the face buttons normal with dust as R1 and burst as R2. Taunt are both L buttons.

XS+

Banned
Who else has been in a vs fighting party, where once your turn comes up you have to idle 5 minutes for each player to remap the controller to their liking? This isn't something we should deal with in this day and age of console gaming. Fighters should allow players to insert their mem cards anytime in a vs match and have the game automatically remap the controller based on their save file, or something like that.

neptunes

A memory stick/card slot on the controller would solve that problem.

Hey, it can happen, just remember how the Firewire Port on the front of first gen ps2's were barely(if ever) used. :)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
arcade sticks for all! I 'm picking up a couple of capcom vs snk stick from lik sang for SF III. After playing vf4 with a sticks no way ill go back to gamepads.

Top Bottom