• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubai is getting another tall building higher than the current world's tallest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
From the same architect as the Burj Khalifa, it is a cable supported tower with lots of gardens and observation decks, along with rotating balconies and a boutique hotel. It will cost $1 billion. That said, it probably won't officially count as a building in the world records because it won't have greater than 50% of its floors as fully usable, rather they will be semi-utilized, gardens, or complex balconies on most floors.

ap_16101427374698.jpg

ap_16101427295604.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/duba...will-dwarf-the-worlds-tallest-building-2016-4

and from The Independent on the status of world's tallest buildings
The question of which building is taller will eventually become redundant when the Jeddah Tower – a skyscraper in Dubai expected to reach 3,280ft – is completed, and then again in 2045, when the Sky Mile Tower – measuring at twice the height of the Burj Khalifa – in Tokyo is due to be finished.

Dubai is stunning but also kind of oppressive as shit so I don't get why people pick there of all places to be a tourist. There are a lot less dreadful places to be stunned by. I sure as fuck wouldn't give those people my money for a whole vacation with their screwed up laws. Go to Tokyo or Vegas or Singapore.

Jail and deport me for saying an expletive if old.

explodet

I can't wait for it to become the world's largest crater when it sinks into the earth.

The lava monsters are going to be so mad at us, you guys

That it is only 50% usable is a disappointment and probably waste of resources. I've been wondering if a one-building citadel could be feasible where you can live, work, and do all your activities without having to step outside, and if it would save more resources than having streets.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I feel like planning to finish a structure in 2045 is a little extreme

Mendrox

Burj Khalif was nice, but to be honest it really is nothing special after being up there once. Serious waste of ressources, but shows power I guess.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
At this point, it's pretty clear they're just tryna make some alien monolith relay now right?

DOWN

Banned
So forgive my ignorance here but what's the issue with Dubai and why is it hated? I honestly have no idea.

They are basically a pool of human rights violators who flash money and slave labor to build their own Las Vegas in a shitty sandstorm prone desert with an awful resource wrecking climate and ignorant or sympathetic rich people perpetuate the flashy allure. It's like Donald Trump flashy hell and the rich people all have to drive huge SUVs with excessive air conditioning use to combat their horrible choice of location. Lots of theocracy and religious law.

No one in their right mind should really want to visit Dubai. No drinking, cursing, holding hands, being a gay person are just some of the issues average tourists have been harshly punished for.

Real Example: A woman visiting there got raped and the police response was to charge her criminally for drinking alcohol and for having extramarital sex.

A building that tall will only cost one billion dollars? Seems way to low.

Well it's probably easy to keep costs down when you're using effectively modern day slavery.

No one in their right mind should really want to visit Dubai.

I want to visit there... but only after they resolve their heinous issues when it comes to human rights. In other words, I probably won't be visiting in my lifetime.

They are basically a pool of human rights violators who flash money and slave labor to build their own Las Vegas in a shitty sandstorm prone desert with an awful resource wrecking climate and ignorant or sympathetic rich people perpetuate the flashy allure.

No one in their right mind should really want to visit Dubai. No drinking, cursing, holding hands, being a gay person are just some of the issues average tourists have been harshly punished for.

Real Example: A woman visiting there got raped and the police response was to charge her criminally for drinking alcohol and for having extramarital sex.

They also suggested to her she should marry the guy.
They really have beef with austrians, apparently. An austrian doctor practicing there is facing the death penalty for euthanasia and the basis of the accusation are an 8 page document despite all evidence of the contrary.

Been there a couple times travelling through on my way to Oman, it's really nothing special there's a beach not any more beautiful than you'll find plenty on the peninsula and nothing of interest outside of shopping malls.

cyba89

and then again in 2045, when the Sky Mile Tower – measuring at twice the height of the Burj Khalifa – in Tokyo is due to be finished.

Twice the height? Does it go all the way to the moooon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom