• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubai is getting another tall building higher than the current world's tallest

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreu

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

To be fair that tower is a vertical city. It's hopefully going to help with over crowding and population in Japan.

Man they cut the development down by 60 years on the tower! I'll be hopefully alive to see it.

MogCakes

Pencil towers suck. If you're going to do a tall thing, at least give it enough mass to hold a decent amount of space inside.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well it's probably easy to keep costs down when you're using effectively modern day slavery.

Yeah the "Sky Mile Tower" in Tokyo will never even be started because there's no way you could build such a massive structure in Japan for a reasonable amount.

I mean just look at this:

It'd cost billions upon billions of dollars in any country where you'd have to pay good wages to your construction workers.

edit: One World Trade Center in NYC cost $4 billion (which isn't nearly as large as some of the other stuff being built) whereas all these other buildings that are being built in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere are about ~$1.5 billion.

chocoedd

I prefer if they start thinking, "hey instead of building tall things, why not we invest in terraforming technology to change our miserable desert environment?"

A modern day Babylon...

That line stuck out to me in the description as well ... And, sadly, I thought, wouldn't calling some place a "modern day babylon" in the Middle East kind of make it a fairly large target for crazies?

And we know how great that ended.
Makes me think though.... What will happen to Dubai when the oil is all gone? It's going to be 50-80 years but it will happen in the not so far future.

Can I buy one of those crazy towers for cheapo then?

The expansion in Dubai was largely because the rulers of Dubai knew that the oil economy wouldn't last forever, so they wanted to build a thriving metropolis. While they have the buildings for it, there's ample evidence that there isn't really a thriving city there.

Saganator

Good to see people coming around on the shit hole that is Dubai. Couple years ago I brought up slave labor in a similar Dubai related thread and it fell on deaf ears.

I don't care how much money I have, I'll never give a dollar to that place (knowingly).

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I wish I had Bill Gates money. I'd build some shit like that. 4-5 billion or so to have a big ass tower? Make it shoot rainbows

Good to see people coming around on the shit hole that is Dubai. Couple years ago I brought up slave labor in a similar Dubai related thread and it fell on deaf ears.

I don't care how much money I have, I'll never give a dollar to that place (knowingly).

Usually depends on the time of day when certain people are awake. Because there was about a dozen posters who will defend Dubai to their death though many have since been banned.

Ekdrm2d1

From the same architect as the Burj Khalifa, it is a cable supported tower with lots of gardens and observation decks, along with rotating balconies and a boutique hotel. It will cost $1 billion. Th
ap_16101427374698.jpg

$1 billion for the highest tower in the world? That seems cheap.

In the Texas Medical Center we build hospitals that cost a billion.

Baylor McNair campus is one..
25046922014_0285a358fc_b.jpg

Fake edit: Guess it's two buildings given "campus" in the name.

Am I the only one around here who actually kind of likes the tallest building competition stuff? I mean, granted, this one is kind of superfluous considering how little of it is actually usable, but the days when people really pushed for the biggest, the best... I dunno, there's an appeal there to me, even if it is ultimately kind of useless.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
So what's going to happen to the Gulf nations when the world finally moved away from oil?

The UAE is diversifying their economy, and Dubai seems to be doubling down on high-luxury tourism and financial services. The fact they're in shitloads of debt and are being kept afloat by Abu Dhabi doesn't help much.

The Burj Khalifa was only completed because Dubai got a bailout from Abu Dhabi - hence the reason why it's named after the leader of Abu Dhabi instead of being called the "Burj Dubai" like originally planned.

Yeah the "Sky Mile Tower" in Tokyo will never even be started because there's no way you could build such a massive structure in Japan for a reasonable amount.

The Taipei 101 is already a massive affront to the earthquake gods. Something like this is literally asking for it.

That and by this point you might as well go hog wild and attempt to build a space elevator.

Reversed

Were it Trump's building, it would get taller with each complain it gets.

Sad to see the rich getting richer and the poor, poorer.

I'm from there. Was watching some VR vids of the city last night and my only thought was "why?" and "how many deaths per building?". I don't see the end game here.

i laughed. hard.

Eventually you build something so tall that literally nobody can compete with it without inventing new materials or methods, and then somebody does.

That's actually kind of worthwhile, tbh.

I mean, if they weren't using what amounts to slave labor it'd be worthwhile >_>

I wonder what their "divine retribution" type cataclysm will be? My guess is some alternative energy source, or nucleur fission breakthrough, that finally lets us completely get off of oil

Plum

If life is anything like my superhero movies then Dubai building a giant blue beam going into the sky seems like a really bad idea to me.

That it is only 50% usable is a disappointment and probably waste of resources. I've been wondering if a one-building citadel could be feasible where you can live, work, and do all your activities without having to step outside, and if it would save more resources than having streets.

Seriously though, the idea has been floated for entirely livable communities within self-sustaining buildings. In sci-fi, it's called arcology.

sephi22

Love Dubai. Haven't visited in 3 years and would love to go again. I like this building's design over the Burj Khalifa. Once you've been at the top it really loses its glamour. Its just an oversized beacon towards the downtown Dubai/Dubai Mall now.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Am I the only one around here who actually kind of likes the tallest building competition stuff? I mean, granted, this one is kind of superfluous considering how little of it is actually usable, but the days when people really pushed for the biggest, the best... I dunno, there's an appeal there to me, even if it is ultimately kind of useless.

I'm interested in it as well, quite simply because the new design/construction methods they have to come up with and other innovations. That and, like I already mentioned with the Taipei 101, the idea you could build something like on an area that has earthquakes on a daily basis is an incredibly feat of technology and engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom