• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dudes, specifically smart audio dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Banned
You can, but why would you? You'll only be able to have 3 or 4 speakers, since 1 or 2 of the channels will be directed to the sub, and I'm not sure how the audio processing would work, since only the info from the channels you hook up to the sub will be passed to it.

So if you have left, right and center speakers hooked up, with both surround channels powering the sub, then only sound that should be going to the surrounds will be going to the sub, which will be very little, unless you run it in 5 stereo or something

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ugh yea, what others have said.

Keep your speakers powered by one amp, and your subwoofer powered by a separate amp. It's costly, but it makes all the difference in the world.

Besides, if you got your subwoofer hooked up to a 4-channel amp and receiving only power through that fourth channel, you'll only get 1/4 the power output. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's a waste of money.

f0nz0

the thing is this receiver is goin to be for a small gaming room, so i dont need major thump, i already have a 5.1 speakers, biut i know the sub is passive, really dont wana buy a powered sub, or an extra amp as im tryin to be cheap here

so if i connect my speakers to their respective inputs on the right, where would i connect the sub? to the extra front speaker inputs to the left? would i get the proper bass sound? and whats the deal with the two purple subwoofer inputs? i believe the pre out input if for a powered sub right? what about the one to the left??

thx for the help!

pj

Banned
f0nz0 said:
the thing is this receiver is goin to be for a small gaming room, so i dont need major thump, i already have a 5.1 speakers, biut i know the sub is passive, really dont wana buy a powered sub, or an extra amp as im tryin to be cheap here

so if i connect my speakers to their respective inputs on the right, where would i connect the sub? to the extra front speaker inputs to the left? would i get the proper bass sound? and whats the deal with the two purple subwoofer inputs? i believe the pre out input if for a powered sub right? what about the one to the left??

thx for the help!

You can't practically power a sub with that. Sell whatever sub you have now and save up for a powered sub

The extra front speaker connections on the left are for a second room, from what I read, that's just a switch, so when the speakers connected to the left are on, the speakers on the right are off.

The subwoofer connection on the left is a subwoofer input, the one on the right is the regular subwoofer out.

That's not powerful enough for a sub.

Do you have a passive sub or thinking about getting one? If you already have one, get the Behringer A500. You can get it from online guitar stores for $199. I've also seen them on Ebay for $170. Plenty of power in bridged mode.

Geoff9920

f0nz0 said:

thx for the help!
Here's the deal, your receiver sends all LFE (i.e. the ".1" in 5.1) signals out of the sub pre-out. (The "thing on the left" is for a multi-channel input.) However, you won't be able to get that LFE signal to your sub without something that can accept that pre-out and amplify it for your sub. An external amp, or buying a powered sub, are your only real solutions.

Is it possible to hook up the passive sub in anyway? Technically, yes, but you won't be receiving the specialized LFE channel. You'll only be getting the sub 80 Hz frequencies from the right and left stereo channels. Besides, I don't think that receiver could handle this method.

DarkJediKnight said:
That's not powerful enough for a sub.

Do you have a passive sub or thinking about getting one? If you already have one, get the Behringer A500. You can get it from online guitar stores for $199. I've also seen them on Ebay for $170. Plenty of power in bridged mode.
If he's willing to pay that much, I think just buying a powered sub like this would be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom