• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke to give 1,650 free iPods to all incoming freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NHF800 is supposed to retail at 240, the NH900's 270, although, I'd rather spend that extra 30 on a few discs. The NH900 uses NiMH instead of the other rechargeable battery the NHF800 has. the NH900 also comes with a cradle and a few other things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tre said:
The NHF800 is supposed to retail at 240, the NH900's 270, although, I'd rather spend that extra 30 on a few discs. The NH900 uses NiMH instead of the other rechargeable battery the NHF800 has. the NH900 also comes with a cradle and a few other things.

Hmm, more than I thought...

Still, it looks like a nice device.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tre said:
The cheapest is 170, but it has no recording features.

Which is fine. That's what I paid for a 30gb Zen Xtra, though. Who knows how long it will last, though...but I couldn't pass it up at that price. :\

MIMIC

Banned
Saw this story in the news. Did a search for it here at GA. Found the thread. Clicked the link. Read the posts. Finds out that this is a Hi-MD thread.
rolleyes.gif

fart

Savant
i was going to post a ha ha about how $30k was a great price for an ipod, and how useful ipods are in academics rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes but it looks like tre killed this thread already.

SteveMeister said:
Jesus christ, read the rest of the FAQ! Chances are your battery will FAR outlast the warranty, so WHO CARES if replacing the battery voids it?

And besides -- Apple's standard 1 year warranty INCLUDES REPLACING THE BATTERY.

And if you buy Applecare, that's extended to 2 years.

i want this thing to last 1 or 2 years isnt gonna cut it for me. I have a MD player thats about 5-6 years old, still working, but transfering music is a bitch so i bought a net-md 810, i returned that cause i found out about hi-md and decided to wait for that. MD players (from my experience) have a long life, im not sure bout HDD players.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Winged Creature said:
i want this thing to last 1 or 2 years isnt gonna cut it for me. I have a MD player thats about 5-6 years old, still working, but transfering music is a bitch so i bought a net-md 810, i returned that cause i found out about hi-md and decided to wait for that. MD players (from my experience) have a long life, im not sure bout HDD players.

The iPod will last much longer than 1-2 years. The standard warranty lasts 1 year, and includes battery replacement. You can extend that to two years if you want. After that, you can opt for Apple's battery replacement program, which is $99 plus shipping, once the battery can't hold a charge anymore (and who knows how long that will take). Alternatively, there are SEVERAL companies that offer cheaper battery replacement services, OR you can buy an iPod battery for $50 and install it yourself. It's after the warranty, so who cares if you void it?

bionic77

SteveMeister said:
The iPod will last much longer than 1-2 years. The standard warranty lasts 1 year, and includes battery replacement. You can extend that to two years if you want. After that, you can opt for Apple's battery replacement program, which is $99 plus shipping, once the battery can't hold a charge anymore (and who knows how long that will take). Alternatively, there are SEVERAL companies that offer cheaper battery replacement services, OR you can buy an iPod battery for $50 and install it yourself. It's after the warranty, so who cares if you void it?

Yeah I think it is pretty reasonable to expect your Ipod to last you for a minimum of 5 years. Depending on how much you use it and how you charge your battery it is possible you may need to replace that battery in that time (same thing would apply to anything with a lithium battery, they have only so many charges), but like Steve said there are lots of ways to replace the battery and you can even do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom