• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons Online

ManaByte

SyNapSe said:
Mana,

I've made 3 level 2 paladins now. First I made one and had stupid enhancement/feats whatnot so after learning more about the class I rebuilt as a halfling. As people said Halflings are the best at high levels.. I can see why with the +1 bonus save, and +1 ac etc. I didn't like being a halfling as a Paladin for character issues and rerolled as a Human.

The reason I like Paladin's is for the huge saves (immunity to fear).. fear is so incredibly annoying. They still seem to do almost as good of damage as war/Barb's early on although I'm sure they scale better with more feats and focusing on fighting predominately.

The reason I post is because I understand at level 4 Paladin's only receive 26ish spell points. That's barely worth it.. so I'm thinking of "splashing" a level of sorceror in there for the huge bonus SP's. I want to be a semi-caster like I think of Paladins as. Did you splash a level of sorc/cleric? I feel like otherwise with that low of spell points I might as well just make a big dumb warrior and bump my wis a few.. I'll still have crazy higher STR/CON/DEX than my Paladin does anyway.

Nah, I don't care for multiclassing too much.

Just make sure you have at least 14 CHA when rolling your Pally and you should do fine. Most of the Pally abilities come off of CHA.

SyNapSe

Yeah I don't really dig the idea of multiclassing much either, but I guess I think of the Paladin as a bit more of a backup healer. It seems like they just get enough mana to do a couple of buff's every rest period.

On wednesday night I did all of WW's for the first time.. nice rewards. My paladin is 2.3 now I think.. just like 600 exp from rank 4.

16 STR, 10 DEX, 12 CON, 14 WIS, 14 CHA.. base that is, so spread around pretty well

SyNapSe

Made it to level 3 now on my Paladin.. ran waterworks a few times. Would like to run it once more for the necklace that gives SP

wipeout364

ANybody still playing this? I picked up a copy at EB for 9 dollars. Thought I might check it out in a couple of weeks when I get my nw PC. What's the word.

Veezy

que?
Anybody still playing this? I got hooked on it and used some store credit to get the druid and half-orc packs of steam. It's not actually too bad. Trying to figure things out, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Rokal

This is a pretty old thread to necro, eh?

I play and it's one of my favorite MMOs out there. More of a co-op/solo RPG like Dark-Alliance than a Themepark like WoW.

The best resource for the game is http://ddowiki.com/ and you can probably find answers to a lot of your questions there. In particular http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide is useful. Feel free to ask here if you have questions and I'll try to answer as best I can. I'm no expert: after a few years of playing on and off my monk hit 20 a few weeks before the expansion, but I feel like I have a good handle on the game by now. It can be a pretty complicated game to understand the mechanics of (just like real D&D) but once you do understand it's easy to appreciate the depth/logic of it.

Riposte

I guess this is the OT? What a weird OT.

Anyway... Is this worth playing SOLELY as a Eberron fanboy? When I first tried it out, like at launch, I was unimpressed with what they were doing with the setting, but I only played very little and many things could have changed.

Veezy

que?
I guess this is the OT? What a weird OT.

Anyway... Is this worth playing SOLELY as a Eberron fanboy? When I first tried it out, like at launch, I was unimpressed with what they were doing with the setting, but I only played very little and many things could have changed.

I put about sixty hours into it.

The game is fun, I enjoy how every dungeon is instanced for solo or small group play with seamless in game voice. Staying with that same group you might meet up with going from instance to instance is incredibly easy and, with the low level scale that DnD has, there's a ton of content for each level.

As for being a fan of a particular setting, you'll interact with all sorts of standard DnD goodness, but you're still playing an MMO. You'll have to put some hours in to get to where it gets more colorful and dynamic. I liked it, but to each their own.

If you can find somebody to hit it hard with you and plop down a few bucks to get the character/race you like, you'll probably enjoy it.

If anything, it's free to try and there seem to be plenty of people playing it and developer support seems pretty constant.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I like this game. I've been playing it off and on for a few years, currently in a long "on" period due to being in a solid guild

It has the best F2P/premium model in the MMO space that I'm aware of. You can unlock virtually all content via microtransactions, and you can (slowly) earn the currency to do so via standard gameplay if you truly want to stay 100% free. Very little is hard-locked behind the subscription.

I'd recommend giving the game a try. I can't really speak to the "Should an eberron fan play this" as I personally am not terribly familiar with it outside of DDO, but I think Warforged are pretty cool guys.

Riposte

I put about sixty hours into it.

The game is fun, I enjoy how every dungeon is instanced for solo or small group play with seamless in game voice. Staying with that same group you might meet up with going from instance to instance is incredibly easy and, with the low level scale that DnD has, there's a ton of content for each level.

As for being a fan of a particular setting, you'll interact with all sorts of standard DnD goodness, but you're still playing an MMO. You'll have to put some hours in to get to where it gets more colorful and dynamic. I liked it, but to each their own.

If you can find somebody to hit it hard with you and plop down a few bucks to get the character/race you like, you'll probably enjoy it.

If anything, it's free to try and there seem to be plenty of people playing it and developer support seems pretty constant.

I'm not really interested in MMOs, generally speaking. I just want to play an Eberron game and I don't care if it is kind of a bad one as long as it succeeds at satisfying my thirst for the setting. So that's really all I'm asking.

Top Bottom