• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVDs hold 4,700,000,000... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

Because on a whim, I'm trying to burn a 4,704,009,092 byte DVD-R... and it seems to be working. Toast gives an error if there isn't going to be enough space on the disc, yet there was no error here.

Is this normal?

If it's 4.7 Gigabytes, it would be more than that. 1 Kbyte = 1024 bytes, 1MB = 1024 KB and so forth.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Hitokage said:
Harddrive companies do this, but this isn't true for CDs.

Yep, a DVD-R will literally hold all 4.7GBs. Believe me, I squeeze every byte I can out of the suckers when recompressing a movie.

NotMSRP said:
Exact size of DVD5 is 4699xxxxxx bytes. Discs are manufactured with a few extra mbs for margin space.

This is how it works, guys. By Windows OS counting standards, you get 4.34GB, or 4.7 billion bytes. Like any DVD (or CD for that matter) there is usually a tiny bit of unregistered margin space. Some software can handle that, some can't.

well, i just checked a blank of mine with dvd info pro...
Code:
                            Media Information                            
Region information                                    N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID                                       RITEKG04
Format Capacity                                             Not Formatted
Free Blocks                                                     412352512
Free Capacity                                              4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type                                                           DVD-R
Media Type                                                          DVD-R

Mumbles

Hitokage said:
Harddrive companies do this, but this isn't true for CDs.

Actually, the 1024 per standard is pretty much unique to computers. And even there, the folks that handle the modems use 1000 per, since it makes their lives much easier than the 1024 per standard.

And since DVD/CD media aren't unique to computers, they usually use the 1000 per standard.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mumbles said:
Actually, the 1024 per standard is pretty much unique to computers. And even there, the folks that handle the modems use 1000 per, since it makes their lives much easier than the 1024 per standard.

And since DVD/CD media aren't unique to computers, they usually use the 1000 per standard.
Well, modems go by kilobit, which is not the same thing as kilobyte. And Audio CD media is measured by minutes, considering the bitrate used is constant.

Data CDs, however, are formatted into 1024 byte kilobytes.

Phoenix

The Faceless Master said:
well, i just checked a blank of mine with dvd info pro...
Code:
                            Media Information                            
Region information                                    N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID                                       RITEKG04
Format Capacity                                             Not Formatted
Free Blocks                                                     412352512
Free Capacity                                              4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type                                                           DVD-R
Media Type                                                          DVD-R

Yes - you have to take into account the file system headers, the drive tables and the like. All of this eats that 4.71 down to its real usable size. Then if your software is having some trouble packing files close - you will lose space due to fragmentation (same reason why you defrag your harddrive).

Mumbles

Yes - you have to take into account the file system headers, the drive tables and the like. All of this eats that 4.71 down to its real usable size.

Nope - 4.7*10^9/(1024^3) = 4.377, or roughly 4.38. Try it out on your calculator Note that in the example, the disc is unformatted.

Well, modems go by kilobit, which is not the same thing as kilobyte. And Audio CD media is measured by minutes, considering the bitrate used is constant.

Having worked with older computers, a kilobit was often used to refer to 1024 bits, not 1000.

Phoenix

Mumbles said:
Nope - 4.7*10^9/(1024^3) = 4.377, or roughly 4.38. Try it out on your calculator Note that in the example, the disc is unformatted.

Having worked with older computers, a kilobit was often used to refer to 1024 bits, not 1000.

I'm referring to its actual usable size. The unformatted size is not the usable size.

even with thousands of files, the space used on the filesystem doesn't go past a few mb, and with hundreds of files, it's under 1mb...

when you go into multisession disks, the size dropoffs get huge, but for a single session disk, there isn't much wasted space...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Faceless Master said:
even with thousands of files, the space used on the filesystem doesn't go past a few mb, and with hundreds of files, it's under 1mb...

when you go into multisession disks, the size dropoffs get huge, but for a single session disk, there isn't much wasted space...
On a data CD, there's more than just the ISO-9660 filesystem. Data CDs also hold seeking and checksumming information that make it usable as a storage device. Audio cds don't have this making digital data reading difficult and less reliable. An 80min/700mb CD actually holds 807mb on disc, but uses 100mb or so in formatting overhead when used as a full data cd, leaving 700mb for actual use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom