• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA... the things it did right

For a long time... I thought I didn't own any EA games but last night when my housemate was a bit bored and I got sick of watching him fall down in TH4.. I searched my game collection and found a shrinkwrapped copy of LOTR : ROTK and told him to play it while I watched.

4 hours later ... I can only say. SHOCK AND AWE. We were both up til 2 in the morning trying to play this damn game. Its gravy.

presentation = A
gameplay + variety = A
audio = A
visuals = A

Talk about a whammy. I could not believe what an incredible game it was - just finished the Minas Tirith section with Gandalf and its just bloody good.

Now what other EA games are AAA+ so I can support my new found love

demi

FREEDOM FIGHTERS

220416b.jpg

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
All I can say is...you are pimping the right game. It's incredible. It's the best game using the LOTR license.

I'm the last person to really hate on EA, but it's one of the few games published by them that has a polish and shine to it that makes you constantly feel as though "this is one fucking fantastic put together game".

Don't let the enthusiasm pull you into the assy Demon Stone though. Different teams I guess.

Unison said:
I am eager to find out about the quality of that LOTR RTS game...

read the review. Polish is very high although the game is so-so because of its lousy linerity and abscense of plot - I say trust the reviews. I didn't listen to the ones about MMCC and now I have a $28 coaster. Not really but it so dull.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned SSX3? I haven't played it myself but its meant to be AAA?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
007: Everything or Nothing

Should be budget priced now, and it's such an awesome realization of the Bond universe.

Why they had to fuck everything up with Rogue Agent, I'll never understand.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
TheGreenGiant said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned SSX3? I haven't played it myself but its meant to be AAA?

Yes, yes it is. It's sublime.

That Bond game got really good reviews, but it didn't do anything for me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Bard's Tale

Wasteland

John Madden Football

grabbing Bullfrog (Populous, Syndicate, etc)

umm.. those were the big ones..

Trip Hawkins is actually one of the earliest gaming personalities I can remember along with Miyamoto... from my childhood i mean.

Was the old LCA logo Electronic Arts? Or was that someone else? I can remember a slew of good games starting with that..

borghe

radioheadrule83 said:
Trip Hawkins is actually one of the earliest gaming personalities I can remember along with Miyamoto... from my childhood i mean.

Was the old LCA logo Electronic Arts? Or was that someone else? I can remember a slew of good games starting with that..
lol... it wasn't LCA, it was EA... or E·A, or (cube)(sphere)(pyramid)

but yeah, that was them.

and trip hawkins ruled.. grats to the guy on 3DO.. it may not have been the most successful system, but damned if he was possibly ever the only non-corporation to actually get a game console to market (laughing right now at phantom :lol :lol )

EA's classic Square/Circle/Triangle corporate logo was devised by Barry Deutsch of Steinhilber Deutsch and Gard design firm. The three shapes were meant to stand for the "basic alphabet of graphic design." The shapes were rasterized to connote technology.

Many customers mistook the square/circle/triangle logo for a stylized "EOA." Though they thought the "E" stood for "Electronic" and "A" for "Arts," they had no idea what the "O" could stand for, except perhaps the o in "Electronic."

Nancy Fong and Bing Gordon came up with the idea to hide the three shapes on the game covers, borrowing the idea from the urban legends concerning the placement of the bunny symbols on the covers of Playboy magazine.

well, to be honest...when I was a kid I thought it was something like Electronic Of Arts.... :lol

Sony copied triangle,square and circle into their dualshock, omg!

FoneBone

TheGreenGiant said:
read the review. Polish is very high although the game is so-so because of its lousy linerity and abscense of plot - I say trust the reviews. I didn't listen to the ones about MMCC and now I have a $28 coaster. Not really but it so dull.?
RTS, not RPG.

borghe

yeah, one of the earliest real computer games I remember playing was bard's tale on the Apple IIe... (plenty of CoCo2 and Vic-20 games before that). of course no mere mortal could afford an Apple IIe so we had to take it (a pirated copy) to the library and play it there.. that went over well for a few months until they insituted the policy of only educational software (after we used Copy II+ on even more games like Epyx's Summer Games, Conan, Hard Hat Mac, etc).

good times, good times..

I don't get it... Do people just go to the store, pick up 10 games and then come home every so often?

How does a person not know they own a game? Did you just get the game from someone and throw it in the back of your room without realizing it?

Ramirez

:lol

Yea I hear people here all the time talking about games in the shrink wrap still,why do you buy it if you're just gonna let it sit there for months? :p

664930.jpg

I used to play the fuck out of that game with my friends in high school. Awesome party game. Oh shit, released in 1994, um, after high school then. ok, I feel really old now :(

borghe

old because you played a 3DO game in high school??

great, now you made me feel old... the 3DO didn't even come out til years after high school for me.. :lol :lol :(

borghe said:
old because you played a 3DO game in high school??

great, now you made me feel old... the 3DO didn't even come out til years after high school for me.. :lol :lol :(

yes, but there's probably posters here who don't even remember the 3DO. :lol :(

RiZ III

EA had this really awsome game for windows or maybe it was for DOS back in the day. Don't remember the titile unfortunatly but it was like a mech sim. You got to choose one of 3 mechs I think. There was a scorpian mech, a raptor kind of mech, and the standard human looking one. The camera was positioned inside the mech. Aliens were invading and you had to fight their mechs. Was such an awsome game.

Anyone know the title?

Fularu

Banned
jenov4 said:

Deluxe Paint V was sooooo awesome, too bad EA did not try to keep that product alive

I'm sure if they were to port the greatness of Deluxe Paint 5 to the PC years ago, no one would be talking about Painter or Corel Draw

thorns said:
is freedom fighters worth buying , after halo 2?

I would say yes. I've also been hearing that its an awesome title for ages - and you can score it real cheap off ebay. LIke $15-20 brand new. I'm looking to buy this now but I will have no time to work on it.

mumu

EA made Deluxe Paint? Now there is a surprise! I spent hours with 32 different colors!

One-on-One was also pretty good.

jenov4

Fularu said:
Deluxe Paint V was sooooo awesome, too bad EA did not try to keep that product alive

I'm sure if they were to port the greatness of Deluxe Paint 5 to the PC years ago, no one would be talking about Painter or Corel Draw

Ahh yeah, Respect to the deluxe paint! It was such a simple yet amazing software. I think there are some artists that use the software today through emulation. :)

borghe

Subitai said:
Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
the only thing EA did right with that was buying Westwood Associates...

and then not even that.. fuck EA for that one...

borghe said:
the only thing EA did right with that was buying Westwood Associates...

and then not even that.. fuck EA for that one...

Westwood had nothing to do with Zero Hour. Well, technically there were two level designers who worked on it, but it was otherwise all EA.

Same for Generals.

Same for Yuri's.

Same for Red Alert 2.

The last Westwood RTS was Firestorm.

Top Bottom