• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebert & Roeper give Spider-Man 2 the Federman treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

whoa, considering Ebert gave spider-man 1 a thumbs down, he was absolutely orgasmic over 2. Said it was better in every way, great pacing, great story, great characters and great action. Roeper is usually a little more subdued in praising any genre movie, but he gave it a "huge thumbs up" too. The only thing they could find to dislike was that Roeper said Doc Oc wasn't as scary as Goblin was, but he said that was just "a quibble on a great movie".

No link on their site yet to the reviews for today, but damn they were enthusiastic. The opinions of 2 random critics may not mean much, but when they both were pretty blase about #1 and shared many of the same issues with it that most ppl who didn't like the first one did (bad CG, too hurried) to have them so slobbering pumped for 2 is a good sign.

862601.jpg

shuri

Banned
They spent the whole show talking about the movie only to say at the very end to reveal that they have no fucking idea if the movie is actually good or what and that the whole show was a prank?

LakeEarth

Trying to bring this thread back to topic, this is really good news. Lately I have been starting to not listen to Roger Ebert since he seemed to thumb up anything that had anything worth praising, no matter how small. But lately he's been better, and Roeper saying "Huge Thumbs Up" is a good sign.

It opens on my birthday, I knew that wasn't a coincindence (though there's no chance I'll be able to see it that day). Can't wait.

I wasn't interested in this movie after the original trailer... but that new one in theaters now completely sold me on it. I cannot wait to see it. I'm dragging some friends with heh.

Drensch

i still haven't seen spiderman 1

Skip it. Two looks like it will be good. Although a lot of the trailers give this impression of Spiderman being very angsty and brooding, which I don't see as very spiderman-like.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Drensch said:
Skip it. Two looks like it will be good. Although a lot of the trailers give this impression of Spiderman being very angsty and brooding, which I don't see as very spiderman-like.

SKIP IT? AND MISS THE ORIGIN STORY AND BRUCE CAMPBELL AND MACHO MAN AND THE PARADE ATTACK? NO WAY.

jiggle

I wasn't planning on watching 2 after finding out what happens in it. But seeing the new trailer made me realize it's completely different to actually see it in action and on the big screen. Can't wait.

evil ways

I was watching Spidey 1 on HBO the other day and remembered how crappy it looked everytime Spiderman spoke and his mouth or jaw did not move one bit. You can easily tell Tobey Maguire's voice was recorded separately, like a cheesy Power Rangers episode where you saw someone on costume moving their hands and pointing like in talking gestures but the character's voice was clearly from someone else.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil ways said:
I was watching Spidey 1 on HBO the other day and remembered how crappy it looked everytime Spiderman spoke and his mouth or jaw did not move one bit. You can easily tell Tobey Maguire's voice was recorded separately, like a cheesy Power Rangers episode where you saw someone on costume moving their hands and pointing like in talking gestures but the character's voice was clearly from someone else.

Actually, his mouth and jaw did move, and some scenes were not recorded separately, although most are.

Alucard

Banned
Kirsten Dunst is damn cute. Those who have seen her in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind can probably agree with me on that. Anyways...

I really liked the first movie when I saw it for the first time. Upon repeated viewings I began to see its faults and actually grew a little tired and bored when watching it. That said, part 2 looks like it could be spectacular. Spider-Man the hero has been established, so now he can go out and kick some ass. I'm expecting a more action-oriented sequel with a lot of amazing shots of Spidey just swinging through the city. Some better dialogue would be welcome as well.

golem

i liked the first movie alot (only seen it twice though).. except.. for...the...gawd...awful...ending.... argh!!

I bought about 20 Spidey comics today and just finished watching the first movie on DVD. Although I feel like I can guess the entire plot of the second movie based on little tidbits I've seen, I'm still so damn psyched. Just ten more days......

Get the essential Spiderman collections and Ultimate Spiderman by Bendis. The first movie follows Ultimate Spiderman more, but also contains a great deal of the spirit of the original as well as many references.

Willco

Hollywood Square
There is not enough Kirsten Dunst love. My spidey-sense is tingling! Syke, that's just my penis...

dunst1.jpg

dunst2.jpg

dunst3.jpg

shes not bad except her face is ugly and her mouth is too big and her cheeks are wide.

and you could tell she was hit looking in interview with the vampire for godsakes

Diablos

Willco said:
There is not enough Kirsten Dunst love. My spidey-sense is tingling! Syke, that's just my penis...

dunst1.jpg

dunst2.jpg

dunst3.jpg

I'd love to see an issue of Maxim where they DON'T airbrush the girls. God. Those first two pics have to be airbrushed.

GG-Duo

i just realized that this particular poster is inspired by the comic book... cool.

ie. they would do a lot of that "1/2 spider man , 1/2 peter parker" panels - especially when his spider-sense goes off. or when he talks to himself.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Who cares Diablos,she's hot and you would hit it hard even with zits,scars and leg hair.

Willco

Hollywood Square
What did they airbrush? Did you ever see Bring it On or - hell! - Spider-Man? It's not like she's fat. She's always had a great chest and abs. And no scars or anything.

Tritroid

They've really got some good promotion posters for Spidey 2 going. They're a lot better than the ones they had for Spidey 1.

And Kirsten is hawt, stfu haters. :p

SFA_AOK

shuri said:
They spent the whole show talking about the movie only to say at the very end to reveal that they have no fucking idea if the movie is actually good or what and that the whole show was a prank?

You rock

lordmrw

Drensch said:

Storyline wise, it looks like they're using bits from around amazing spider-man #50, where Peter gets fed up with his life just being generally shitty, and decides to give up being spider-man.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I hated Spiderman 1, but the trailer for Spiderman 2 actually looks pretty cool. None of those "cutesy" moments that plague so many comic book movies (Grandma: "YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT YOU'RE NOT SUPERMAN YOU KNOW!!!" Tobey Macguire: "HAR HURN").

Willco said:
SKIP IT? AND MISS THE ORIGIN STORY AND BRUCE CAMPBELL AND MACHO MAN AND THE PARADE ATTACK? NO WAY.

Yeah, and not to mention J. Jonah Jameson. And the awesomeness of Willem Dafoe....without the dorky helmet on that is.

Kirsten is a damn fine actress. She is a little weird looking sometimes. It is pretty obvious that Sam got her to act in a very shallow way to realize that character. It was all done for purpose and part of the style of the movie. Just like Tobey Maguire's wide eyed goofiness as Peter Parker is part of the style.

Watch Crazy/Beautiful for a stunning Kirsten performance.

Watch Cider House Rules for a stunning Tobey performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom