• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Writer/editor, Andrew Baran, passes away

http://kotaku.com/5324249/egm-writer-passes-away

Andrew Baran, former writer at Electronic Gaming Monthly and EGM2/Expert Gamer, passed away on July 26 after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

On Baran's own 1Up page, he wrote this about himself:

I was an editor for EGM and the host of Sendai/Ziff-Davis magazines, enjoying a tenure that lasted from the days of the NES and continued all the way through to the Xbox. (1991-2001) I started out counseling players on a variety of videogame tip lines and ended my extensive career as Senior Editor...

On the magazines, I was once known as Cyber Boy. Historically speaking, I had one of the longest runs on the Review Crew-where I even held the top slot for a time. Sadly, this was mostly incognito as I wrote under Ed Semrad's name over the years. If you have your old issues, you can find plenty of hidden references in "his" reviews that would hint at the truth. Eventually I got to use my real name and had enjoyed the top slot of the Crew with my own identity.

A ZD buyout spun me into the fringes of EGM2 where I produced over 125 strategy guides. When the company was sold to an investment firm, I found myself cast out of the gaming media's light, but into the warm embrace of gaming retail instead.

Condolences to all his family and friends

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh man, RIP.

I don't think I ever seen him, but going by his article, I may have read a few of his reviews before.

At least he doesn't have to fight anymore.

Johann

That's awful. I remember reading his writing way back in the mid 90s. I hope his family is able to get through this difficult time.

Busty

Banned
A shame. A real shame.

At least there are people that are taking a moment to think about him, his work and his life.

A tough way to go though. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
shuri said:
fucking cancer..

CroweBlog.jpg

Now I'm gonna dedicate my life to fighting cancer (puts fists up) Right, now where is that pussy cancer!

In all seriousness, rest in peace. :(

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I loved EGM back in the early nineties. Did he have a reviewers avatar like Sushi X did?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Damn I remember Cyberboy, back when I used to read EGM over a decade ago.

A shame to see cancer claim another victim. RIP.

CTLance

As usual I have no clue who this guy is (memory for names = fuxxored), but that still doesn't mean I can't pour me a drink and toast to him. RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow..what is the death rate for pancreatic cancer? Seems like relatively a lot of higher profile people have been dying of it the last while :|

Anyone know how old he was?

squall211

gofreak said:
Wow..what is the death rate for pancreatic cancer? Seems like relatively a lot of higher profile people have been dying of it the last while :|

The death rate is very high. Without checking I would guess that at least 80% of those with pancreatic cancer do not survive 5 years. Of all the cancers you can get, this is one of the scariest.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
squall211 said:
The death rate is very high. Without checking I would guess that at least 80% of those with pancreatic cancer do not survive 5 years. Of all the cancers you can get, this is one of the scariest.
It's also one of the most painful. Gah, how horrible. :(

meme

Banned
Such a horrible disease, especially pancreatic cancer...
May you Rest in Peace, sometimes death is the better way out :(

DrPirate

Banned
squall211 said:

It's actually higher.

Thankfully, recent research breakthroughs with DCA have been doing miracles in terms of treating cancers and not hurting healthy cells.

Remain hopeful :)

Rip Mr Baran.

noah111

Still Alive
gofreak said:

Yeah, this sucks. I think he was in his 30s or so? Condolences go out to all his family and friends, RIP.

darkwings

Banned
gofreak said:

around 96% if the cancer gone too far. Around 80% if you find it in time and are able to do surgery. Yeah...basically the deadliest disease in the world, my dad died of it.

Top Bottom