• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Writer/editor, Andrew Baran, passes away

Moobabe

DrPirate said:
It's actually higher.

Thankfully, recent research breakthroughs with DCA have been doing miracles in terms of treating cancers and not hurting healthy cells.

Remain hopeful :)

Rip Mr Baran.

Here's to cancer research. If there's one thing I hope our generation achieves it's that all cancer's are curable if caught early enough and all are manageable. Here's to hoping.

RIP

GDGF

Soothsayer
Damn that sucked. I always loved Cyber Boy and following his exploits in the old EGM. Sexidecimal for the win :(

RIP

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
His death is sad. RIP. Even more sad was where his career ended up.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
gofreak said:
Wow..what is the death rate for pancreatic cancer? Seems like relatively a lot of higher profile people have been dying of it the last while :|

Anyone know how old he was?
Andy was 35.

Having worked a couple cubicles over from the guy during the later Expert Gamer years, I can definitely say that Andy was an interesting character. He definitely left behind a plethora of funny stories.

It's a shame that he had to go out like this.

SuperPac

Just wanted to throw this out here --

Myself, Phil and Greg are going to do an episode of the Player One Podcast this week where we share thoughts/memories/stories of working with Andy. And we'll be playing voicemails and audio from folks who worked with him over the years as well. I opened it up to some ex-Sendai/Ziffies on Facebook and via email but obviously I don't have everyone's contact info anymore. So if you are an ex-Ziffie or Sendai'er reading this it'd be great if you could share your thoughts/stories/anecdotes/memories via our voicemail line 713-893-8069.

Or even if you're just an avid EGM reader and want to say something about Andy, feel free to call as well. If you want to contribute something please do so by tomorrow (Saturday Aug. 1st) night so we can play it on the show. Thanks!

hampig

Damn, I've been reading EGM ever since I could read. : ( No doubt this man has had an effect on my life through his writing. RIP...

Safe Bet

Banned
CTLance said:
As usual I have no clue who this guy is (memory for names = fuxxored), but that still doesn't mean I can't pour me a drink and toast to him. RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.
Same...

Rest In Peace, Gamer.

Edit:

Didn't notice this was an old thread, but I still wish to offer my condolences.

Safe Bet

Banned
QuadCore said:
What in the hell? Why would she sell off stuff that obviously meant something to him?
1. She, or the family, might need money.

2. You have to let go of the past.

3. He doesn't care about his 'shit' anymore.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
QuadCore said:
What in the hell? Why would she sell off stuff that obviously meant something to him?

??

I don't think he'll be needing of it any more.

Fake edit: I'm not trying to be assy... I'm just wondering what the alternative is. Hold onto all of his things for life? Never move on?

SuperPac

GDJustin said:
??

I don't think he'll be needing of it any more.

Fake edit: I'm not trying to be assy... I'm just wondering what the alternative is. Hold onto all of his things for life? Never move on?

Surely this cannot be an easy thing to do for his wife. And we do not know the circumstances of the situation. But if I were to pass on I'd surely expect my loved ones to do what they thought best with my collection. If I left behind debt or medical bills and this would help out, I would absolutely be 100% behind auctioning it off.

stewy

QuadCore said:

If anything ever happens to me I sure hope my wife doesn't cart around my game collection for the rest of her life. Better to get rid of it in a way that benefits her and our family.

wondermega

many of us have our things we like to collect because it's our hobby, things (like a New Kids NES box) might be a treasured item - but if we're not around, we'd probably like someone else with a similar enthusiasm (even if we didn't know them) to be able to have access to stuff like that, rather than consider it just sitting "unappreciated" in storage forever.

(and if your loved ones can get a little $$ off of the deal, then two birds with one stone, ya know?)

Top Bottom