• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egyptian mythos in video games

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Let's talk about representation of the Ancient Egyptian mythology in video games. No, none of that "Indiana Jones character visits ancient ruins in Egypt, shit happens" kind of shit. I am talking about actual representation where the game revolves around them.

They're really one of the more interesting mythologies out there, from talking semen to cutting someone into pieces. It's too bad that the "common knowledge" versions of them are so whacked out (shit like Anubis, god of judgment, is seen as Satan and/or a necromancer).

So let's share some games that featured the mythos a lot!

Obviously there's Age of Mythology. 1/3 (and eventually 1/4) of the game features them. While some entries are fabricated (shit like Anubites, I guess they gotta ride that Mummy 2 hype) and some are wrong (Osiris is with the same "tier" as Set and Ra, though they replaced him with Isis), they still manage to get the most of it done.

And then there's Pharaoh and Children of the Nile. Both are city sims focused on ancient Egypt, though the latter has a more mythological aspect on it. Pretty good games too, and the former is in GoG and the latter is in Steam.

Skelter

Banned
Oh, how I would love a sequel.

832231-sphinx.jpeg

Tizoc

Talos Principle's 2nd hub world, or as I like to call it, Bunker B is set to an ancient Egypt motif...there is even a Serious Sam reference that freaked me out the first time I saw it XD

Sphinx and the cursed Mummy is one of my favourite 6th gen games. It is very similar to Zelda (which happens to be one of my favourite series), but it felt fresh and unique enough to stand on it's own. A bit like Soul Reaver.

It is probably the best game Eurocom (RIP) developed. So good. I have to replay it one of these days.

Edt: Beaten by Skelter. You did good !

I'm afraid I don't know many games that deal with Egyptian mythology. Wouldn't be opposed to trying some though.

As far as accuracy goes, most uses of any mythology in media are incorrect. I consider myself pretty into mythology, so I'm always correcting movies in my mind. The underworld god = Satan thing is so widespread it just feels pointless to argue with it. Or that Loki is evil, since those Thor movies started coming out. I swear every time he's in a movie I run into a bunch of new people trying to pass themselves off as Norse mythology experts. I like the movies, so I just laugh when someone's shocked to learn that Thor and Loki aren't actually brothers in the myths (I don't have a problem with Marvel's spin on it, since they're clearly making their own version), and got along fairly well with each other.

Skelter

Banned
Sphinx and the cursed Mummy is one of my favourite 6th gen games. It is very similar to Zelda (which happens to be one of my favourite series), but it felt fresh and unique enough to stand on it's own. A bit like Soul Reaver.

It is probably the best game Eurocom (RIP) developed. So good. I have to replay it one of these days.

Edt: Beaten by Skelter. You did good !

Such a good game. Filling up the museum was my favorite thing ever.

Hayvic

Age of Mythology was pretty fun! Though it was not only egyptian mythology but a coming together of greek, norse and egyptian.

Age_of_Mythology_Liner.jpg

I am replaying the widescreen steam version at the moment.

How 'bout Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. The entire game takes place in Egypt. Sure, its an "Indiana Jones visits Egypt" but I figure the whole game takes place there it should count. Its my second fav classic TR after the first game.

We really need a videogame adaptation of the Masks of Nyarlathotep.

Anyway :

plus several adventure/educational games on PC. It's an adaptation of a classic French comics-book series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Titan Quest.

Edit: Well, it doesn't really revolve around it so I guess it doesn't fit.

It's more like a semi-Hollywood view on mythology with a PoV from a greek

:p

Does it involve forced insemination?

I'm afraid I don't know many games that deal with Egyptian mythology. Wouldn't be opposed to trying some though.

As far as accuracy goes, most uses of any mythology in media are incorrect. I consider myself pretty into mythology, so I'm always correcting movies in my mind. The underworld god = Satan thing is so widespread it just feels pointless to argue with it. Or that Loki is evil, since those Thor movies started coming out. I swear every time he's in a movie I run into a bunch of new people trying to pass themselves off as Norse mythology experts. I like the movies, so I just laugh when someone's shocked to learn that Thor and Loki aren't actually brothers in the myths (I don't have a problem with Marvel's spin on it, since they're clearly making their own version), and got along fairly well with each other.

Still, would be fun seeing gods do weird shit like fuck people randomly, fuck each other randomly, etc.

I blame the "Christianization" of mythology.

Wulfram

Actual Egyptian mythology seems seriously weird. It could be very interesting, but probably not exactly commercial.

nkarafo

My favorite Egyptian style/themed levels were Silithus/Uldun in WoW, as well as the Ahn Quiraj raids.

ASIS

No matter how good some representations may be. You really need people from the country to represent it best. Unfortunately they don't exist (yet, hopefully we see some of them in the future). But so far I haven't seen anything that truly represent the ancient egyptian culture in games outside of cool looking levels in platformers.

Gandalf

There's some in the free-to-play Vita title Destiny of Spirits. Most of the spirits in game are based on mythology around the world.

Top Bottom