• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring PC version’s frame rate issues related to mouse control software, FromSoftware warns

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
20240305-284696-header-960x640.jpg

FromSoftware’s player support has notified Elden Ring’s PC players that running mouse control software in the background of your game can cause issues with frame rate stability. The announcement advises players experiencing stuttering to try closing any “mouse control-related” software before running the game.

Since the release of the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC, some Elden Ring players have been experiencing issues with frame rate, which has even impacted the title’s review score on Steam. With the release of the latest Calibration Update 1.12.2, FromSoftware informed users of a bug (in the PC version) that automatically enables raytracing. As this can lead to frame rate issues, players experiencing problems were advised to set raytracing back to “OFF” (Title menu>System>Graphics Settings> Raytracing Quality).

It seems that another possible cause for stuttering is active mouse control software. FromSoftware’s notice does not give specific examples, leaving users to wonder if even first-party software like G Hub and Razer could be potentially problematic. Users have previously confirmed third-party mouse gesture software leading to frame rate issues.

winjer

Like I said in another thread. Most people will run all sorts of crap in the background, then worder why they have performance and stability issues.
Do yourselves a favor and use services.msc, task scheduler and msconfig to control the programs and services that start with Windows.
The vast majority of programs do not need to start with Windows.

Hudo

It's not about using mouse and keyboard.
It's about the software that some mouse and/or keyboards install, to control rgb, dpi, etc.
Chances are, most people just need to use these sort of programs to configure their hardware one time and that's it.
I know. I was just taking away the most obvious shit one could respond with on page 1.

Filben

I'd expect them to test their game with the most known mouse control software, like Razer, Logitech, etc. Not because you play this specific game with m/k but because you have these components on a PC in general and many have this type of software installed.

As a quick workaround, it's okay, but they should fix it and work with mouse software devs together.

tommib

“The announcement advises players experiencing stuttering to try closing any “mouse control-related” software before running the game.”

You’ll know what to do. Turn off Windows.

Rossco EZ

Like I said in another thread. Most people will run all sorts of crap in the background, then worder why they have performance and stability issues.
Do yourselves a favor and use services.msc, task scheduler and msconfig to control the programs and services that start with Windows.
Any guide you can recommend for this so I don’t turn off anything that’s important?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't have any of that stuff and the game still has stutters, small ones but still noticeable at times.

Man do I hope they change their engine for the next game.

Garibaldi

I run GHUB for my mouse and keyboard and Steel series GG whatever for my headset.

Their Easy AntiCheat is what has the most effect on framerate. Disable that and enable Flawless Wide-screen so I can actually play the game at my monitor's resolution and it's golden. Without and the frame pacing is all over.

Last edited:

winjer

Any guide you can recommend for this so I don’t turn off anything that’s important?

For third party programs that boot with Windows, you can probably disable all. Just don't disable the Antivirus, Steam or any other launcher helper service.
But a good rule of thumb, is to disable one program at a time, and see if everything else is working.

For Windows services, if you are new, just don't touch any. There are several dependencies that can break things really fast, if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Though you can use Chris Titus Windows Utility to turn off the Windows Spyware and services that are safe to turn off.

Disabling GameBar and Fullscreen optimization in the Windows Setting is a good way to improve performance in some games.

Also, consider disabling control flow guard for DX12 games. But do this only for individual games, not for the whole system.

1.Search and Open Exploit Protection
2.Click On the Program Settings Tab
3.Click On The + Add Programs To Customise
4.Click On Choose Exact File Path
5.Find Game Which You would Like To Try To Remove DX12 Stutter. Click Open
6.Programs Settings For Game Opened ,Scroll Down To Control Flow Guard (Never Use For Global Setting)
7.Put Check Mark In Override System Settings And Turn From On To Off And Apply
8.Restart May Be Needed
4NwTKdN.png

If you are afraid of screwing up, create a Windows restore point, before starting. This way, you can revert back to a point when everything was working well.

Hohenheim

I have the Razor synapse thing running in the background, and never had any fps-issues with Elden Ring. Silk smooth 120fps and not a single hint of stuttering.

I recommended everyone to use the "fps unlock and more" mod. Makes the game smooth as butter.

StueyDuck

Irobot82

I have the Razor synapse thing running in the background, and never had any fps-issues with Elden Ring. Silk smooth 120fps and not a single hint of stuttering.

I recommended everyone to use the "fps unlock and more" mod. Makes the game smooth as butter.
I thought Elden Ring was capped at 60?

ReyBrujo

I think the same about playing a FPS with a controller instead of mouse and keyboard. And yet many people do play FPS with a controller for some weird reason.
I used to think like you but with gotta admit that there's crossplay between consoles and PC and that gamers with joysticks can stand their ground against old PC dudes.

MiguelItUp

Get the "fps unlock and more" mod. It completely removes any stutter,and also gives the opinion to increase fps beyond the "locked" 60.
I feel like I had it at launch, so I wasn't sure what it was, but it wasn't that frequent. Appreciate the heads up though!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I used to think like you but with gotta admit that there's crossplay between consoles and PC and that gamers with joysticks can stand their ground against old PC dudes.
With gazillions of pathetic aim assist(s).

Last edited:

ssringo

I've stayed clear of most ER threads as I've still not finished the DLC but it's something I noticed pretty quickly.

In my case I have a wireless G502 and every time it goes to sleep or wakes up it causes a big stutter. No problems otherwise.

Life Diff

Considering how many mice and whatever other peripheral require software nowadays that's hardly a fix.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I like Razer mice and recently bought their most basic mouse that has no lighting and didn’t install the Razer Synapse stuff and its so much better.

It’s got the 5 buttons which don’t need any software because windows already supports mouse 1-5 natively.

winjer

Considering how many mice and whatever other peripheral require software nowadays that's hardly a fix.

No they don't.
They only need for the first configuration, if the user needs to set dpi, rgb, etc.
But after that you can disable the service that starts with windows. Or just uninstall it.

ReyBrujo

With gazillions of pathetic aim assist(s).
I play dungeon crawlers and if I have the option to have the game map the dungeon automatically instead of mapping it myself with pencil and paper I'll take it. Dragging items in almost any application on PC snaps it into place. While I think pixel-aiming is a thing of the past I agree that there should be a small advantage for someone who takes the time to do a headshot on a 2x2 pixel head on a 4k screen. Games are full of these "assists", like automatically dropping your weapon when you pick another, showing the trajectory or having a pointer showing where your grenade would fall, etc, auto-aiming should eventually become standard as well.

SoloCamo

True, but unless you are on a ridiculously weak cpu (or severely lacking memory) debloating windows isn't going to help the engine's issues at this point. I'm doubting these are the cause of the actual deep rooted performance issues. We have a plethora of much more demanding games on various engines that don't have these problems. Even when my cpu is at 80% while my gpu is @ 100% (BF2042 128 player maps at 4k) I don't experience those hitches at all.

Last edited:

Dorago

People forget how the original release had terrible frame pacing, input lag, and physics issues that persisted for months after release.

It seems like the main team didn't "get the memo" and hadn't added many of these fixes to their base code.

This is no doubt a problem with contemporary production strategies where "maintenance" is outsourced and the main teams never get to learn from their mistakes.

winjer

True, but unless you are on a ridiculously weak cpu (or severely lacking memory) debloating windows isn't going to help the engine's issues at this point. I'm doubting these are the cause of the actual deep rooted performance issues. We have a plethora of much more demanding games on various engines that don't have these problems. Even when my cpu is at 80% while my gpu is @ 100% (BF2042 128 player maps at 4k) I don't experience those hitches at all.

It always helps, in part because it improves privacy in Windows, but also because it reduces conflicts with other programs. Which is what is happening with this game.

BTW, remember that Windows now has a service called "Logitech LampArray Service"
This crap is meant to control rgb with some peripherals. But it's just better to disable it, save some memory, some CPU time and avoid conflicts.

Top Bottom