• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring's final boss has been hit with the nerf hammer as part of balance adjustements in the latest patch

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meh I beat him without crazy build, it was tough but I would say Behemoth in MHW is much worse.

I get it crossover from MMO FF but I fucking having MMO like mechanics in MH game.

Nothing crazy when you take into consideration that I gave ER a 7. You can imagine the dlc being much worse, what I'd rate it. Nothing crazy about it.
If that's your rating for base game (mine would be a 9 overall), then I imagine you'd give the expansion a 5 (for me, 7.5-8). Seems that we look for entirely different things in a game, so this probably something where I'll just agree to disagree.

To me, this is one of the best open world experiences out there, and I'd readily play it again over something like BoTW, HZD, Witcher 3, etc.

simpatico

Weak. I wish From just never listened to “fans”. They really ought to rename achievements when they do this.

Last edited:
If that's your rating for base game (mine would be a 9 overall), then I imagine you'd give the expansion a 5 (for me, 7.5-8). Seems that we look for entirely different things in a game, so this probably something where I'll just agree to disagree.

To me, this is one of the best open world experiences out there, and I'd readily play it again over something like BoTW, HZD, Witcher 3, etc.
Dont want to go into a whole debate, but yeah ofc I look at the whole package when I rate a game which is story, gameplay, audio, visuals. Just because the gameplay might be good doesnt mean Im going to give the game a high score and just ignore the others and oh boy is the story bad. Gameplay isnt anything to write home about either, it's a game that for some reason its being ignored for literally being the exact same game since Dark Souls 1 with very few little new mechanics as well as the fact that the open world, albeit nicely made, its made up of Dark Souls maps stapled together. Ubisoft gets shit on for making the same game, but From are excused because they're Japanese. I dont excuse anything, I dont blindly follow the sheep and I criticise severly everything, even one of my favorite games of all time Cyberpunk is something I heavily criticized.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've beat every From Software game and honestly this boss was a bit overtuned in my opinion. My mantra is everything blind/solo on first playthrough. The boss does not follow the same rules that 95% of all other bosses adhere to...and 100% of the bosses of the same type (being humanoid). I should also mention I went into the DLC on NG+4...so my experience may be somewhat skewed. I don't know if NG has any affect or not.

An example...parrying this boss requires 3 successful parries to get him down. As far as I know, the boss has INFINITE POISE. Aggro resets to the host of the fight for his signature attack regardless of who the boss was focused on prior to the signature attack (at least this is my experience from helping others beat this boss, most of the time killing the host).

The boss renders many tactics useless. Manaburn w/physick and cometis typically useless with how mobile the bosses are. Often times summoning in the beginning of the fight would be interrupted. This is typical with DLC bosses and feels like a lazy way to deal with people who abuse the mimic tear. Thankfully, the mimic tear is much less effective in general in these fights, but I feel like they could have dealt with this issue in another way. I like that this actually means you gotta go toe to toe with the bosses but I can see how this could suck for people who build for magic and faith casting.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Need to rebuy this game again. I beat the base game on ps5 (very fun) but I’m moving over to pc so need a bundle. Hope there is a big sale soon.

Neo Member
Uncharacteristic move from Fromsoft. This just takes away from the accomplishment imo. How you gonna feel knowing they nerfed the boss before you beat it.

Fess

That's lame, fight was cool as it was.
It was awful, just like Elden Beast. Best game of all time with the worst final bosses.
But I’m proud to have done it without the nerfing! Should get a special achievement! I felt like the king of the world at the end of Erdtree, no bleed or scarlet rot build or anything fancy, just glintstone comet and timing
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

reezoo

Nooooooooo... I was finally starting doing damage consistently in second phase... Now my son wont shutup about it that he beat it pre nerf and I didn't : (.

Aesius

I beat him last night just before going to bed, then woke up to find out he's been nerfed.

I did the full cheese build with Mimic Tear, Blood Antspur Rapier, and Verdigris Shield, and a few defense boosting incantations. My Mimic Tear damn near soloed him while I poked him a few times in the back. It was actually disappointing how easy it was. Once the bleed procs he loses a massive chunk of health.

Ponderling

I just couldn't before, genuinely thought I was going to have a stroke.
I tested a couple of cheese methods and could see the potential but didn't want to betray my Pondering.
The only boss in soulsborne history that defeated me....but this revelation, could it be my time to rise again?

Nah fuck that lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder how many and who complained? “Your boss is too hard”. 😁

I’d have to see footage of him now that he’s nerfed. I also thought the final boss of the base game was much easier with the latest patch. You can just run up to the boss now. I liked the DLC and I finished it twice.

Raven117

Gawd, I hated that fight. Beat that guy pre-nerf, but once it was done...I felt no accomplishment. No victory. Just relief. I deleted the game off the harddrive as soon as it was done.

That boss is garbage. One of their worst designed major bosses they have ever done.

Glad its nerfed so some folks can finish up the DLC.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
While... it's nice to be able to fix games on a whim, I beckon for a balance... to go back to a time where they released a game and couldn't mess around with it, unless they release a revision.
Release a game in a state where they can say "It's done. There is nothing more to do here" I guess I can just choose not to update it. Annoying, still.

Disappointing. The feeling of triumph in beating him pre-nerf was peak. Gonna have to give him a go with this current patch later today to see where he's at now.

Garibaldi

Why did you think the DLC was garbage?

I haven't played that much because it's a complete stutterfest on my PC.
I ran a power shell script that monitors device usb/network connects and disconnects when I started getting loads of stutters. Turns out our printer and the Shield TV box were occasionally activating/deactivating and it like clockwork would stall the game for a second or so. Disconnected the PC from the network when I play and now I'm living stutter free.

The script should be Google if you wanna try it

grvg

It's baltrus all over again, except this time i didn't beat the boss before the nerf

I think I'm just burnt out on elden ring.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Right after I spent two hours last night beating him with my solo melee character.

bryan-cranston-why-him.gif

These are good changes, though, all of them make sense. I just wish they had had the decency to roll them out a day earlier!

ZehDon

Makes sense, I'm currently fighting him actually, no victory yet. Getting to phase two is simple, but I find the sheer visual noise of phase 2 difficult to play through properly. Looking forward to trying it again.

Hrk69

Gold Member
I ran a power shell script that monitors device usb/network connects and disconnects when I started getting loads of stutters. Turns out our printer and the Shield TV box were occasionally activating/deactivating and it like clockwork would stall the game for a second or so. Disconnected the PC from the network when I play and now I'm living stutter free.

The script should be Google if you wanna try it
A stutter free life would be most appreciated

I'm going to check this out, thank you :)

Garibaldi

A stutter free life would be most appreciated

I'm going to check this out, thank you :)
Managed to hunt down the script's source. Not promising it will definitely fix it but it was the issue I had.

I just ran it in a ps window sat on the second monitor while playing and lo and behold every stall was greeted with a printer or media device getting pinged on, what I assume is network discovery. It's pretty ropey from From to have this occur, but this is From. They love a technical disaster on PC.

It's probably having to re-enumerate the usb controllers each time it happens which stalls the game loop since it also happens when the game is in offline mode.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to experience the differences, but I'm never going back to fight him again. Beat him once with a bleed build, thanks to the supreme bullshit and lack of any decent int gear. Great DLC overall but even if I ever replay it, I won't bother with the last boss for sure. Same type of bullshit as Malenia... just not fun.

Honestly he's not that hard of a boss. He just counters certain builds because he closes distance very quickly and has fast recovery in some of his moves. He's very weak to parry. The only issue is phase 2 which is a god damn light show that blinds you from reacting to his moves. It looks that's getting fixed so that's good but I don't think he needs to be nerfed outside of that.

Guess Im one of the few who beat him pre nerf, no summons, no cookie cutter shit. Whether he deserved the nerf or not, I dunno. DLC was utter garbage and I'll never touch it again either way.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, except for the no summon part. I summoned a dude dressed like a Ninja Turtle named "let me solo him" to do it. Fuck that, the fight wasn't fun nor was it fair. I'll never touch this unfinished bullshit DLC again. It's a bummer, too, since I was on NG+6 on the base game because I liked it so much.

Raven117

It really was a terrible ending to an otherwise masterpiece of a game. Ends with a bitter taste.

Hopefully, From learns a bit from this. They made that just too cheap.

reezoo

Ok so I was trying to defeat Chad Radahn for a month now and defeated him today on second try, all the talk that changes doesn’t affect the difficulty are BS.

Top Bottom