• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eldritch |OT| Delve Into the Black Abyss.

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

What is Eldritch?

Eldritch is a first-person action game inspired by roguelikes, immersive sims, and H. P. Lovecraft.

• Unearth ancient secrets and find your way to freedom!
  • Sneak, fight, and explore strange worlds!
  • Invoke mystical powers to augment your play style!
  • Randomly generated levels provide fresh challenges and opportunities!
  • Unlock shortcuts to jump directly to deeper dungeons!

Who Makes Eldritch?

David Pittman makes video games. Before co-founding Minor Key Games, he was a programmer at 2K Marin, where he wrote AI code on BioShock 2 and led the AI team on The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Frustrated by the excesses of AAA game development and feeling creatively stymied, David left the security of his job in March 2013 to make games he believes in. He holds a Master of Interactive Technology degree from The Guildhall at SMU.

Reveal Trailer
iBi8F3SnEIwhI.png

iuHYiTWfbPxcn.png

Buy on Steam
Buy not on Steam
Patrick Klepek plays Eldritch on Worth Playing 9/27/13
Rock Paper Shotgun plays Eldritch

This game is fantastic, and just officially released on Steam today! Its been available DRM free in Beta for a while now and I've been playing a lot of it. First, even though you may think "Minecraft" upon first encounter- THIS GAME IS NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL. Second, its scary as shit. This game is horrifying. I don't want to spoil it, but prepare to lose your nerve.

Go play it!

Has the difficulty been bumped up since the beta? I picked it up back in September, and while fun for the first playthrough, it was breeze. I finished it in an evening, and the randomization elements weren't compelling enough for repeat runs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what build you played but I'm getting murdered as hell is the second book.
I usually start and go into the first book and stock up and then find my way out and ender the second stage armed and ready to go.

Man, the
Statues
are so damn scary! I still haven't discerned any rhyme or reason to their movement patterns but they get me going so damn well.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Theres also this amazing driving progrock/apocalyptic soundtrack that starts subtly blaring.. its sooooo perfect. Its not even necessarily that good, it just fits the mood and tone so perfectly. I really want to make a dead meadow/psychedelic playlist to accompany this game.

GooeyHeat

Roguelike horror... sounds intriguing. If I don't end up going to a party, then I know what I'm doing on Halloween.

Has the difficulty been bumped up since the beta? I picked it up back in September, and while fun for the first playthrough, it was breeze. I finished it in an evening, and the randomization elements weren't compelling enough for repeat runs.

Playing through the first level and the difficulty seems to be about the same. However, the game is still a lot of fun and it has great atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Also, not immediately obvious: theres some pretty fun momentum/parkour elements to the movement in the game. If you sprint and then crouch you'll slide for example. And the way you "double jump" up heights that are two squares high feels so damn right. They really got the movement in this game tuned incredibly well.

I also read somewhere that if you loot an enemy it respawns on the map, but if you don't loot it it will stay dead.

Also, not immediately obvious: theres some pretty fun momentum/parkour elements to the movement in the game. If you sprint and then crouch you'll slide for example. And the way you "double jump" up heights that are two squares high feels so damn right. They really got the movement in this game tuned incredibly well.

Mantling is the term your looking for. And I agree the game controls really well.

All you need to do is farm bullets in the first book and get the charm that allows you to destroy blocks with your gun--the rest of the game becomes a snap as you creep around the edge of each map and blow through any walls on your way to the exit.

EDIT: I'm coming off as very negative on the game, but I feel like there's a great foundation of mechanics and would be a lot better if the balancing was better and more "stuff" overall.

Here are my blog impressions:
Beyond 2005's Call of Cthulhu and the more recent Magrunners, it seems that games inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos have been few and far between. (I may be mistaken though). Eldritch plans to change that by combining the otherworldly mythology of Lovecraftian fiction with the tension and thrill of a first-person roguelike.

You begin your journey into the world of Eldritch within a mysterious endless library. This is your hub world, where you can customize your character, choose which level to explore, and just not worry about dying. Levels are represented by mystical books; reading from them pulls you into the procedurally-generated enemy-infested worlds described within their pages.

The elements that make Eldritch stand out from other first person roguelikes is its emphasis on stealth and its varied combat. You can crouch, slide, and lean to peek around corners like in Thief. Footsteps and sprinting make noise and can alert enemies. Bottles and rocks can be thrown to distract enemies. Of the three weapons currently available, your revolver is loud but powerful, your knife is silent, and your crossbow is also silent and can set tripwire traps.

Adding to the stealth mechanics and combat in general is the magic system. Throughout the levels, you collect artifacts that act as both mana and currency. Spells endowed upon you by deity statues require certain amounts of artifacts per use, giving the game a risk-reward element. Do you use your artifacts to cast spells that can distract enemies and unlock doors, create powerful explosion, allow you to teleport, and more, or do you save them to purchase weapons, ammo, and special gear at shopkeepers in each level? Death is final, so choose wisely, although you can save certain amounts of artifacts across attempts by saving them in chests.

Eldritch is still in development so there are kinks and balancing issues to be found. For a game hoping to be a roguelike, I was never lacking ammo or artifacts and some of the enemies, especially those in the first world, are just too easy to kill. Luckily the other worlds up the difficulty with enemies that can't be killed, only temporally stopped and statues that rumble to life in your presence. However for a game inspired by Lovecraftian fiction, I was hoping for more surreal otherworldly enemy designs. The knife and revolver also feel much too overpowered. But these are issues that can easily be remedied as the beta improves and don't detract from the game's overall polish and gameplay.

sclpls

Neo Member

I haven't gotten this far yet, but there's also a new game+ mode. I'm not sure what that consists of, but presumably it makes the game more challenging? I'm finding the 3rd book sufficiently challenging.

I'm really enjoying the controls for this, and all the immersion elements featured in the design. I hope this game gets continual updates...

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I just picked this up today after reading the Joystiq review. I'm really enjoying it. The controls are excellent. I played long enough to get lost a little in the library and to explore a bit of the first book. I tried to steal some ham from the item shop and promptly got murdered.

dock

Just played this for a while.

Unfortunately I'm pretty bad at 3D mazes, and this game has almost no landmarks. The level generation is a mess and none of the locations seem to have much logic behind the type of geometry. Without any decent form of breadcrumbs I found myself walking in circles for ages.

Of course the response to this by other people is "you're a fucking idiot why did you go back there", and in general I feel like an idiot when playing this.

Also, I hate that it tries to tweet whenever I die. Sometimes it doesn't resume the game properly, because I always run in full screen.

I had some fun, but I feel that I ought to have played some minecraft or PC RPGs to get most of the appeal of this. I have given up and don't expect to play again. :(

Top Bottom