• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club | Review Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
TB0eWSS.png

Game Information

Game Title: Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 28, 2024)
Trailer:

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 74% recommended

telO8OQ.png

Metacritic - 76 average based on 46 Critic Reviews

M6AiaQ5.png

Critic Reviews

Areajugones - Nazaret López - Spanish - 8.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling: Famicom Detective Club is presented as an authentic detective experience with which Nintendo has met each and every one of the expectations. Both its plot, as well as the characters and its development, is a real joy for players who are fans of the genre of interactive visual novels. If the game already seemed attractive in its first appearance, as players start it, they will not be able to stop until they finish it. Will Emio be a simple legend or will he end up being a cruel murderer who we will have to stop so that the full weight of the law falls on him?

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 80 / 100
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is a great return to the novel graphic formula. A title that is not for everyone, but perfect for the fans of this kind of experiences.

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 7.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club improves on the old-school mystery visual novel mechanics that the 2021 remakes refined, eliminating some of the trial-and-error frustration while keeping things focused on interviews with witnesses. While the mystery of Emio isn't my favourite of the series, it's still a mostly well-crafted story with gorgeously animated characters.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5
Despite thin detective gameplay that may be light on actual deduction, Emio — The Smiling Man makes up for that with a slow-burn visual novel story that goes in completely unexpected directions. Its grisly tone and M-rating may feel surprising for a Nintendo game, but Emio meets young players at a level Nintendo is uniquely positioned to reach them at.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4.5 / 5
To say anything else about Emio would be doing you all a disservice, as it’s a winding, twisting mystery that is best enjoyed unspoiled. If you did play the remakes of the first two Famicom Detective Club titles then you’ll get more of the same here, just with modern standards of writing. That alone makes it a much stronger experience, because the narrative in this thing is incredible.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - 4 / 5
“Emio – The Smiling Man” is a suspenseful and at times disturbing crime thriller. The last third of the game in particular completely blew my mind and left me sitting in front of the screen with my mouth open. The uneven pacing of the narrative and the somewhat outdated gameplay formula with its trial-and-error approach spoil the excellent overall impression.

In terms of audio-visuals, “Emio” is convincing across the board. Beautifully drawn game characters and backgrounds bring the interactive story to life, while the catchy soundtrack provides the ideal background music. I hope we don't have to wait another 30 years for a new detective adventure from Nintendo.

GAMES.CH - Sönke Siemens - German - 82%
In terms of presentation, "Emio" also does well thanks to lovingly designed backgrounds, numerous animated cutscenes and the beautiful soundtrack. Nevertheless, we would have liked to see a little more dynamics, i.e. animated background objects, in some scenes - such as the train station of Kofuku. If you can overlook this shortcoming, the genre-typical rather shallow gameplay challenges and the lack of English voice acting, you will still get your money's worth.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 8.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is a superbly told story, and is engaging from start to finish.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 78 / 100
It gives just what one expects. Few surprises in the gameplay, but quite a few in the plot, which is what it is about, in this case. Ideal for those who want a slow-paced adventure.

IGN Italy - Andrea Peduzzi - Italian - 8 / 10
After the remake of the first two episodes of Famicom Detective Club I was really hoping for a return of the franchise, and Emio - The Smiling Man does not disappoint thanks to first-class art direction, an interesting plot and its retro soul.

LevelUp - Dan Villalobos - Spanish - 7.8 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is an intriguing option for Nintendo Switch users looking for a mature and dark story. The game allows players to find a wide cast of characters, any of whom might be considered suspects at any moment, and gives the chance to analyze every action and word from them to advance in their investigation. Despite some obstacles posed by its interface, the title offers an engaging experience for those seeking a memorable adventure.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 7 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man has been hyped up a little too much in terms of how dark in tone the whole thing is. This is still silly, kooky stuff, just like its predecessors. The sometimes frustrating core mechanics also haven't seen any refinement this time around, which is a shame. And so it's left to some top-notch writing to save the day, which it just about does. Once this troubling and intriguing story has its hooks in you (remember there are three demos to try if you're unsure), it's hard to put down. And that, at the end of the day, is all Tantei Club fans will be looking for.

Nintendo News - 8.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is one of the most engaging and emotional visual novels I’ve ever played. The well-written, unpredictable story, multi-dimensional characters, and beautiful anime-style visuals makes the newest entry in the Famicom Detective Club series a must-have for anyone that loves murder mystery and psychological horror.

NoobFeed - Ahnaf Tajwar - 85 / 100
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is a classic visual novel that hooks you right in from the beginning and comes from a very unlikely developer. Despite this, the game fits on the Nintendo Switch. With the modernized art, better pacing, more engaging characters, and fully voiced dialogue, Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is easily the best entry in the series.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8 / 10
While it doesn't reinvent the wheel, Emio - The Smiling Man succesfully uses drama and horror to great effect, crafting a story that's equal parts gripping and shocking.

RPG Site - James Galizio - 9 / 10
More than just a blast from the past, Emio fully revitalizes the Famicom Detective Club series, making it better than ever before.

SECTOR.sk - Michal Korec - Slovak - 8 / 10
The brand new Detective Club title brings very compelling plot luring players to discover murders and mystery. On the other hand, gaming options might be limited and linear for some adventurers ' if you come for the lengthy dialogues and investigation, you will like the outcome.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 8 / 10
I can see why longtime Famicom Detective Club producer Yoshio Sakamoto was so excited to share the story of this game. Emio - The Smiling Man is an intriguing story that takes us on a deeply emotional journey. The characters, both old and new, are very fun and easy to follow as well, not to mention coming out great in their animations and dialogue. I wish Emio stretched its legs a bit in terms of gameplay, but I also can’t argue too much with a working system that’s mostly meant to be a vehicle for an engaging mystery. If this is the final Famicom Detective Club game, it’s a strong one to go out on, but I can't help but hope we get more Famicom Mystery Club with this game acting as a stepping stone to the series’ future.

Siliconera - Cody Perez - 8 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club, the third game in this series, tells a compelling and deep mystery that is far darker and more disturbing than anything we've seen from Nintendo before.

Spaziogames - Francesco Corica - Italian - 6.7 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man looks like it came out from the '80s, thanks to gameplay mechanics unbelievably dated that hold up its true potential.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 7 / 10
Emio - the Smiling Man has a good story to tell, held hostage by mechanics from the early days of Japanese interactive fiction that refuse to give way to fresher, more current game design ideas. It's a bit of a trial-and-error fairground and excessive verbiage, but if that doesn't scare you off (there's a demo to try out that might suit you) you'll be rewarded with an investigative tale of unquestionable value.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8.5 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club really sneaks up on you. For much of its runtime the game is a likable, if somewhat by the book, throwback detective visual novel, but Nintendo swings big in terms of narrative in its final hours, ultimately delivering a story that’s much more daring, dark, and affecting than anything this franchise has delivered before. Whether you’re a visual novel nut or just in the mood for a good mystery with some teeth, Emio will leave you grinning.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 6.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man has a rich, empathetic heart, there's just not enough of it. Solid character work and a decent setting can't get around the fact that the game isn't ever all that thrilling.

Last edited:

Rran

It's got somewhat niche appeal but I like the FDC games and this one seems like another solid entry. The demo's been good so far but I can definitely see how some gamers would find it too understated or pokey. I'm a fan of the general low-key-with-spooky-moments vibe it all has.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Idk if I get my physical copy in time for this weekend since it hasn't shipped yet from the retailer I've pre-ordered from. Buut, I still have to play a bit from the demo so that should do for the time being.

Blindy

2 chapters down, want to knock the 3rd one out before it arrives in the mail. Really enjoy the simplistic approach the story has here. It makes sure you are never lost with the plot or details behind them with the recaps. I don't know how violent this game can get given it's a Nintendo 1st party game so I am afraid the game may never go to the full blown deep end the way I want it to. It feels like a buoy in a pool that separates the shallow end from the deep end where it teeters towards that fine line of how dark the story can really get.

The demo progression idea is genius BTW and the idea of dropping a chapter every other day helps cultivate chatter among the (admittedly few) fans of the game. Can't say enough how good of an idea it was to give a demo for this game that carries over if you buy the full game.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
GVdAXLZW8AAvab9.jpg:large

Game Information​

Game Title: Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club
Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 28, 2024)
Trailers:
Publisher: Nintendo

Critic Reviews​

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 7.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club improves on the old-school mystery visual novel mechanics that the 2021 remakes refined, eliminating some of the trial-and-error frustration while keeping things focused on interviews with witnesses. While the mystery of Emio isn't my favourite of the series, it's still a mostly well-crafted story with gorgeously animated characters.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - 4 / 5
“Emio – The Smiling Man” is a suspenseful and at times disturbing crime thriller. The last third of the game in particular completely blew my mind and left me sitting in front of the screen with my mouth open. The uneven pacing of the narrative and the somewhat outdated gameplay formula with its trial-and-error approach spoil the excellent overall impression.
In terms of audio-visuals, “Emio” is convincing across the board. Beautifully drawn game characters and backgrounds bring the interactive story to life, while the catchy soundtrack provides the ideal background music. I hope we don't have to wait another 30 years for a new detective adventure from Nintendo.

GAMES.CH - Sönke Siemens - German - 82%
In terms of presentation, "Emio" also does well thanks to lovingly designed backgrounds, numerous animated cutscenes and the beautiful soundtrack. Nevertheless, we would have liked to see a little more dynamics, i.e. animated background objects, in some scenes - such as the train station of Kofuku. If you can overlook this shortcoming, the genre-typical rather shallow gameplay challenges and the lack of English voice acting, you will still get your money's worth.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 8.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is a superbly told story, and is engaging from start to finish.

IGN Italy - Andrea Peduzzi - Italian - 8 / 10
After the remake of the first two episodes of Famicom Detective Club I was really hoping for a return of the franchise, and Emio - The Smiling Man does not disappoint thanks to first-class art direction, an interesting plot and its retro soul.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 7 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man has been hyped up a little too much in terms of how dark in tone the whole thing is. This is still silly, kooky stuff, just like its predecessors. The sometimes frustrating core mechanics also haven't seen any refinement this time around, which is a shame. And so it's left to some top-notch writing to save the day, which it just about does. Once this troubling and intriguing story has its hooks in you (remember there are three demos to try if you're unsure), it's hard to put down. And that, at the end of the day, is all Tantei Club fans will be looking for.

Nintendo News - 8.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club is one of the most engaging and emotional visual novels I’ve ever played. The well-written, unpredictable story, multi-dimensional characters, and beautiful anime-style visuals makes the newest entry in the Famicom Detective Club series a must-have for anyone that loves murder mystery and psychological horror.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8 / 10
While it doesn't reinvent the wheel, Emio - The Smiling Man succesfully uses drama and horror to great effect, crafting a story that's equal parts gripping and shocking.

Spaziogames - Francesco Corica - Italian - 6.7 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man looks like it came out from the '80s, thanks to gameplay mechanics unbelievably dated that hold up its true potential.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8.5 / 10
Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club really sneaks up on you. For much of its runtime the game is a likable, if somewhat by the book, throwback detective visual novel, but Nintendo swings big in terms of narrative in its final hours, ultimately delivering a story that’s much more daring, dark, and affecting than anything this franchise has delivered before. Whether you’re a visual novel nut or just in the mood for a good mystery with some teeth, Emio will leave you grinning.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 6.5 / 10
Emio – The Smiling Man has a rich, empathetic heart, there's just not enough of it. Solid character work and a decent setting can't get around the fact that the game isn't ever all that thrilling.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Hmm at first i thought the scores looked a little lower than i was hoping, but most impressions are positive about the actual story, and the gameplay while its as shallow as the previous games, seems they fixed some of the tedium in the remakes.

Overall a solid score, i don't know if game critics would rate fairly any visual novel such as this tbh ,or if its even possible to use any objective criteria across the board it is what it is,a slightly interactive novel

For sure i will pick this up, Yoshio Sakamoto is like a God to me 👁️

Got my copy somewhat early, I'm at chapter 7 presently. The mystery is really heating up as I just finished a great interrogation sequence, that was extremely satisfying on a character level and introduces interesting new aspects to the mystery. Overall, I think the game does a great job of conveying the appeal of this style of command driven ADV. When you hit a slight wall only to follow up with the right string of commands to bring information out of a suspect, perhaps noticing an awkward look indicating you should apply pressure on a particular topic, it organically feels as if you're interrogating them using your wits.

In contrast to a more non-linear game of the same type like JB Harold or Todo Ryunosuke, there's not as much of a sense that you're "following leads" and piecing the whole mystery together. But FDC's approach allows for more of a balance where the narrative is guaranteed to move along at a steady pace. Emio probably does the best job of any game in this style of getting the uninitiated to understand that there's a logic to the procession of commands, and that thinking about viable options based in the scenario is the best way to play, rather than brute forcing every command. The text highlight is a great feature that I can see helping a lot of people who typically get frustrated with this kind of game, even though I turn it off personally.

This is a solid twitter thread expanding on the appeal of Emio and command driven ADV games:

I'm happy to see so many people get it, or even just have the general appeal of the story and presentation shine through for them. The type of game they've decided to make is really a niche within a niche that most players have no context for. Even people who have appreciated games like Ace Attorney or Danganronpa. So for this game to get such good scores and have an aggregate score of nearly 80 is nothing to sniff at. Would love to see Nintendo produce more stuff like this in the future.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Still relatively early in the game since I've had a busy week, and the copy came in late as well, but even so I'm liking everything I've played so far.

That said, I also wanted to share this review from Noisy Pixel since they were very impressed with Emio and gave it a 10 out of 10.

o09oF3o.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really need to jump in to other Famicom Detective Club games, they look really fun.

They also did great with animation. This type of style I MUCH prefer over static character with static background with only text box.

I really need to jump in to other Famicom Detective Club games, they look really fun.

They also did great with animation. This type of style I MUCH prefer over static character with static background with only text box.

My hope it sells well so that it shows Nintendo that they can make M Rated Games internally

Would be interested in seeing what they could do gameplay wise and even story wise since Emio is more story focused than most internally developed Nintendo games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My hope it sells well so that it shows Nintendo that they can make M Rated Games internally

Would be interested in seeing what they could do gameplay wise and even story wise since Emio is more story focused than most internally developed Nintendo games
They are Japanese VN/point & click adventure games similar to Another Code and Ace Attorney which I highly enjoy.

Astral Dog

A lot more engaging than the previous two games, thanks to the characters having actual conversations rather than a single line of dialogue you need to keep pressing on

thought the ending was rushed, at first just asking random questions then they suddendly drop you at a very creepy place for the finale, i thought they still had to answer many questions about who was 'Emio'

But then i wasn't expecting a full Anime movie explaining the killers origin after the credits thats so messed up 😳

very good overall, i also read some critics complaining it doesn't have an english dub , but i think this is more natural since the setting is literally on Japan it works well for this type of game

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Still relatively early in the game since I've had a busy week, and the copy came in late as well, but even so I'm liking everything I've played so far.

That said, I also wanted to share this review from Noisy Pixel since they were very impressed with Emio and gave it a 10 out of 10.

o09oF3o.png

Bloober finally got a masterpiece. And SH2 remake isn't even out yet

Top Bottom