• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire's top 10 movie shoot-outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekajelly

I haven’t seen The Wild Bunch but it has to be frickin unbelievable to beat out John Woo's Hard Boiled.
Yikes_anim.gif

Top 10

1) The Wild Bunch, 1967
2) Hard Boiled, 1992
3) Heat, 1995
4) Once Upon A Time In The West, 1969
5) The Untouchables, 1987
6) The Matrix, 1999
7) Leon, 1994
8) State Of Grace, 1990
9) Open Range, 2003
10) Copland, 1997

Agree - Disagree?

I think The Wild Bunch is probably no. 1 because of the time the movie was made. I've seen it, and while it probably isn't that impressive in these Matrix-times we live in, it's still awesome. I saw a making-of documentary about it, and the amount of blood and carnage in that film for the 60s was unprecendented. It is a wonderful scene of balletic grace and mastery of violence as an artform...before Woo even arrived on the scene.

+1 Sam Peckinpah
+1 William Holden

Check it out for the scene, the rest of the movie is okay. Probably not as "entertaining" as the other movies on the list.

karasu

lol ONE John Woo/Chow Yun Fat movie? The shootout in The Matrix wasn't even creative. They just did wired cartwheels while people magically missed to that song from Mortal Kombat. That list sucks.

When I read the title I immediately thought "HARD BOILED!... HEAT!", so no complaints from me there. Haven't checked out The Wild Bunch myself just yet, but I've made a mental note to do so soon.

yacobod

Banned
ya same here first thing i thought of when i read this thread was Hard Boiled or the Killer better be on this list

but its nice to see Charles Bronson get some pub with Once Upon A Time in the West

i personally would've taken any scene from Death Wish 3, the movie is comedy gold, highest brand of unintentional comedy ever produced, so bad, yet so good

The Heat shootout trumps everything in my opinion. Shit, now I have to go cue it up on DVD (chapter 32, for you lucky people who have the disc at hand).

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
The Wild Bunch = Sam Peckinpah = The use of slow motion in scenes depicting extreme violence. = N.1 Influence for John Woo/Tarantino/....

Trevelyon

leon_-_arrrggh.gif

ARRGGHH!

Leon should've been higher. I didn't care for the Heat shoot out, too long & drawn out and it made my ears bleed.

I agree with the Untouchables, Matrix & Hard Boiled rankings, haven't seen Copland or the Wild Bunch so I can't really comment on them.

ElyrionX

Yep, that shooting scene in Heat rocked. Hard. In fact the whole movie rocked. Really hard. What else do you get when you pair Pacino and de Niro?

Anyway, I played the movie for a couple of friends some time back and one of them claimed the movie was one of the most boring show he ever watched and the other just shook his head. What the hell is wrong with people?

Dekajelly said:
Top 10

1) The Wild Bunch, 1967
2) Hard Boiled, 1992
3) Heat, 1995
4) Once Upon A Time In The West, 1969
5) The Untouchables, 1987
6) The Matrix, 1999
7) Leon, 1994
8) State Of Grace, 1990
9) Open Range, 2003
10) Copland, 1997
Just 2 movies I haven't seen on that list, State of Grace and Open Range. Looking at that list, I'd say I generally agree with most of those choices, though the order might be a little off (Wild Bunch at #1? Ehh...). I even agree with Copland; it's got one of the great shootouts, people.

EDIT: Heat is a little boring, to be honest.

XS+

Banned
What's State of Grace about? Only movie on the list I haven't seen.

EDIT: Any room for LA Confidential on that list?

Dekajelly

XS+ said:
What's State of Grace about? Only movie on the list I haven't seen.

EDIT: Any room for LA Confidential on that list?

I haven't seen it myself but I think I'll check it out at the weekend - trailer - http://www.movie-list.net/classics/state-of-grace.mov

Cast: Sean Penn; Ed Harris; Gary Oldman; Robin Wright; John Turturro
Plot: Terry Noonan returns home to New York's Hells Kitchen after a ten year absence. He soon hooks up with childhood pal Jackie who is involved in the Irish mob run by his brother Frankie. Terry also rekindles an old flame with Jackie's sister Kathleen. Soon, however, Terry is torn between his loyalty to his friends and his loyalties to others.

Pimpwerx

Heat definitely has the best shootout. I love the way it starts with them quietly exiting the bank. The music really low-key. Then all of a sudden, it's like the middle of the loudest, coolest shooting range. It's what I imagine that LA shootout was like. Just really loud, really scary, and a whole lot of fun...to watch that is. :D PEACE.

calder

I rather like that list. The Wild Bunch has not one but two incredibly gunfights, and that movie totally changed the way gun violence was shown in the movies. And the end of the movie is cool as fuck to boot.

Heat definitely has a great shootout, random, loud and violent. It's cool how they build up the robbers to make them somewhat likable for their professionalism and savvy but then BAM show you how they'd drop you in a heartbeat to get away.

Open Range is easily one of the best shootouts in a western, but it builds on and perfects what many westerns had already done and doesn't really bring anything new to the genre except to do it all extremely well.

I love Woo almost as much as the next action movie dork, but really I wouldn't rank any of his movies in the top 5. Come on, the hospital scene in Hard Boiled is Exhibit A in proving that too much of a good thing starts to bore the hell out of you. I just find Woo's gunfights become dull because the extreme unreality (and yes I know it's deliberate) starts to detract from the coolness. After you see 400 faceless thugs run out just to get shot down (complete with the classic Hong Kong movie extra "OWW, I DIE!!" quality grimace-and-slow-slump to the ground), I start waiting for them to hurry the hell up and get on with the important stuff, like shooting the hero with the prerequesite 50+ bullets it takes to make him fall down the first time. I'm not as much of a fan of Woo's cartoonish and deliberately overdone gun fight style as some, but I agree it's seminal and very popular so you pretty much need Woo/Fat on there.

The apartment gunbattle in "Time and Tide" blows all Woo's fight scenes away IMO.

Oh, and I agree with most of you that Copland is out of place, and I haven't seen State of Grace either. Hmmm.

samus4ever said:
I really liked the gun fight in Open Range. The sound was incredible too.

Yeah, I love to crank the sound up on the gun fights. They did a really good job with those sound effects. Very loud and full.

Shinobi

What, no mention of the police station shootout in The Terminator? And what about Saving Private Ryan's opening scene? You're gonna tell me that wasn't a shootout?

nitewulf

i was gonna mention the private ryan opening as well, i guess they omitted war films...i dont know.
plus, the last scene in unforgiven makes it a candidate as well, come on.
and as much as i hate to admit, i agree with calder's point of view that Woo shootouts drag on too long, he sorta tests the patience of the viewer, crosses the limit so to speak.
hated time and tide though.
i saw some peckinpah movies, but never got around to watching the wild bunch, gotta do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom