• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain Sales 3 - 9 Jan

Broshnat

Banned
1 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 SCE 160,000 824,000
2 DS Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 75,000 545,000
3 GBA Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 Namco 67,000 67,000
4 DS Super Mario 64DS Nintendo 63,000 532,000
5 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII Square Enix 56,000 3,384,000
6 PS2 Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Konami 46,000 740,000
7 GBA Rockman EXE 5 Team of Blues Capcom 41,000 296,000
8 GC Mario Party 6 Nintendo 39,000 462,000
9 PS2 DQ and FF in Itadaki Street Special Square Enix 34,000 276,000
10 PS2 Tales of Rebirth Namco 34,000 527,000
11 DS Pokemon Dash Pokemon 33,000 254,000
12 GC Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3 Tomy 32,000 337,000
13 PSP Shin Sangoku Musou Koei 30,000 168,000
14 GBA Pocket Monsters Emerald Pokemon 30,000 1,405,000
15 PSP Minna no Golf Portable SCE 29,000 207,000
16 GBA Yoshi no Banyuu Inryoku Nintendo 26,000 217,000
17 PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator Yoshimune Daito 25,000 327,000
18 PS2 Samurai Western Spike 22,000 57,000
19 PS2 Momotaru Dentetsu USA Hudson 22,000 304,000
20 PS2 Kessen III Koei 21,000 140,000

Nintendo DS 132,000
PlayStation 2 120,000
GameBoy Advance SP 63,000
PSP 55,000
Gamecube 26,000

Awesome Sawaru and Mario 64 sales again.
Expect another drop-off next week as the holiday season comes to an end in Japan, and sales drop back to "normal" levels...

Mrbob

These different services tracking numbers gets so confusing.

One of the services (Media Create I believe) has Mario 64 DS selling over 100K more than Wario Ware DS. But this one has Wario Ware ahead of Mario 64DS! Which tracking service is the most reliable?

Broshnat

Banned
Mrbob said:
These different services tracking numbers gets so confusing.

One of the services (Media Create I believe) has Mario 64 DS selling over 100K more than Wario Ware DS. But this one has Wario Ware ahead of Mario 64DS! Which tracking service is the most reliable?

The Media Create thread was wrong and Mario was in fact about 30k or so ahead of Wario.
Enterbrain had them about equal last week, but Sawaru has pulled ahead this week.

Expect Mario 64 and Sawaru to be about equal on MC's chart tomorrow.

Media Create is generally excepted to be a better service since they survey more stores, but has also been known to be a fair way out in the past.

All should only be taken as a guide.

It only needs less than 100k to exceed MGS2's Japanese total. At the pace its going now it should achieve that by the beginning of next month.

GT4 is a monster. It's UK numbers are going to be crazy since that's really GT territory.

ki/oon

Nintendo DS 132,000
PSP 55 000

Amazing DS numbers, especially when you consider the unit was sold out in many places (new big shipment expected tomorrow).

Broshnat

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It only needs less than 100k to exceed MGS2's Japanese total. At the pace its going now it should achieve that by the beginning of next month.

GT4 is a monster. It's UK numbers are going to be crazy since that's really GT territory.

MGS3??

Well, MGS2 did 850k and had done 722,277 by Jan 6th 2002 (just after the xmas period).

MGS3 will do 30k next week, 20k, 15k, 11k etc

It'll drop-off pretty quick. Don't expect much more than another 125k really.

Broshnat

Banned
jarrod said:
Think GT4 will ever catch GT3 though? Or was I right? :p

GT4 won't beat GT3.

It's not even tracking ahead of GT2, which did:

810k week 1
290k week 2

1.73m total

GT4 won't do much more than 1.2-1.3 m

It's not even tracking ahead of Dynasty Warriors 4 which did

1.14m total.

Very comparable to the last couple of Dynasty Warriors / Winning Elevens...

Broshnat said:
MGS3??

Well, MGS2 did 850k and had done 722,277 by Jan 6th 2002 (just after the xmas period).

MGS3 will do 30k next week, 20k, 15k, 11k etc

It'll drop-off pretty quick. Don't expect much more than another 125k really.

It's on a faster selling pace than MGS2 was. Is it going to continue to drop in sales? Sure. But it's still going to outsell MGS2. MGS2 had been out for over a month by the time it reached the numbers you posted and yet it continued to climb to 800+. MGS3 hasn't even been out a full month in Japan yet.

Pimpwerx

jarrod said:
Think GT4 will ever catch GT3 though? Or was I right? :p
What's GT3 at? GT4's gonna suffer in Japan, but in the rest of the world (where it sells the msot anyway), it should surpass GT3 similar to GT2 over GT1. A random guess, I don't really know. For instance, I owned GT3, but I will only be buying GT4 for the PSP. PEACE.

DSN2K

Nintendo are taking full advantage of Sony's screw up I see.

launching the PSP/PStwo within the same year was a big mistake.

Pimpwerx said:
What's GT3 at? GT4's gonna suffer in Japan, but in the rest of the world (where it sells the msot anyway), it should surpass GT3 similar to GT2 over GT1. A random guess, I don't really know. For instance, I owned GT3, but I will only be buying GT4 for the PSP. PEACE.

Magic Box lists it at 1.6 million, Shrine of Data lists it at 1.4 million.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
What's GT3 at?
About 12 million worldwide last I checked.

Pimpwerx said:
GT4's gonna suffer in Japan, but in the rest of the world (where it sells the msot anyway), it should surpass GT3 similar to GT2 over GT1.
Er... actually GT1 outsold GT2 in the US by around 200k. I'd imagine it's been the same in Europe, but I've never seen concrete figures. :/

Broshnat

Banned
jarrod said:
About 12 million worldwide last I checked.

Er... actually GT1 outsold GT2 in the US by around 200k. I'd imagine it's been the same in Europe, but I've never seen concrete figures. :/

I don't think GT3 is on 12 million.

It did 1.88 in Japan, around 4.5 in the USA and I'm guessing about 4 in Europe, so about 10.4 worldwide.

GT1 outsold GT2, especially in Japan.

GT1 did 2.55m
GT2 did 1.73m
GT3 did 1.88m

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Traumahound said:
Does this mean that Sony isn't able to meet their target of producing 100,000 new units each week?

PS2 went to as low as 18,000 units per week in the period before the US launch.

I got this odd feeling that Nintendo is looking at their DS numbers against the PSP and saying to themselves, "You know, we could release the Rev BEFORE the PS3 ..."

Deg

Banned
Duckhuntdog said:
I got this odd feeling that Nintendo is looking at their DS numbers against the PSP and saying to themselves, "You know, we could release the Rev BEFORE the PS3 ..."

No way. Nintendo are much bigger in the handheld space and hold alot of trust.

Broshnat said:
I don't think GT3 is on 12 million.

It did 1.88 in Japan, around 4.5 in the USA and I'm guessing about 4 in Europe, so about 10.4 worldwide.

I doubt that, GT's always been more popular in Europe than anywhere else. It's by far the series biggest territory.

jarrod

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Those numbers likely don't include the Summer 2001 GT3 bundles.
My numbers would... that's what Sony said the game shipped (11.3 million by sometime in 2003 iirc, an extra 700k or so since then seems pretty reasonable for a GT). Both Sony and Nintendo include "bundle sales" when they give numbers iirc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Was PSP really less available last week than it was previously?

How many are Sony supposed to be putting out per week? I thought it was up and around the 100k mark?

gofreak said:
Was PSP really less available last week than it was previously?

How many are Sony supposed to be putting out per week? I thought it was up and around the 100k mark?

Well there goal was 100k a week. I think it was last week that they released an apology because they haven't been able to ship that many units on a weekly basis.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm, well hopefully they pick things up soonish, or we could be seeing some pretty lean US/Euro PSP launches. Perhaps this is why they're being coy about launch details.

neo2046

Broshnat said:
Nintendo DS 132,000
PlayStation 2 120,000
GameBoy Advance SP 63,000
PSP 55,000
Gamecube 26,000
more information

Nintendo DS 132,000 [Total: 1,400,000]
PSP 55,000 [Total: 505,000]

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
seismologist said:
DS numbers never cease to amaze me. Wasn't the DS was supposed to get crushed once people saw what the PSP could do?

It amazes me too, but its important to remember that current sales aren't even close to potential sales. The DS taking off the way it has is VERY amazing, don't get me wrong, but what will be really amazing is if the charts still look like this week to week when PSP manufacturing gets up to speed later in 05.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GDJustin said:
It amazes me too, but its important to remember that current sales aren't even close to potential sales. The DS taking off the way it has is VERY amazing, don't get me wrong, but what will be really amazing is if the charts still look like this week to week when PSP manufacturing gets up to speed later in 05.

That's true, but I'm not sure if DS is maxxing its potential either when you consider the bemoths of Pokemon and others (like Jump Stars) are still to come. Both machines still have cards to play, so to speak...it'll be such a very very interesting year.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
gofreak said:
That's true, but I'm not sure if DS is maxxing its potential either when you consider the bemoths of Pokemon and others (like Jump Stars) are still to come. Both machines still have cards to play, so to speak...it'll be such a very very interesting year.

I'm on Nintendo's "side," if I were forced to pick one, but that being said I still feel like the sales are misleading. I get the impression that if Sony could make 500K PSPs a week, they would sell them, for at least a good month or so. The DS isn't outselling the PSP because of demand, or software, or really ANY reason. Its outselling it by default, right now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GDJustin said:
I'm on Nintendo's "side," if I were forced to pick one, but that being said I still feel like the sales are misleading. I get the impression that if Sony could make 500K PSPs a week, they would sell them, for at least a good month or so. The DS isn't outselling the PSP because of demand, or software, or really ANY reason. Its outselling it by default, right now.

That's true, I'd agree with most of that. Except that people must be more inclined toward DS beyond simply "it's the only alternative" if they're going for it over GBA...they at least must be attracted to its different features if they're willing to pay more for it. Software sales have also been fairly consistent.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It's the PlayStation launch all over again. Slow start > FFVII release > a winner is me. PSP is actually waiting for that "FFVII" title.

CrisKre

Nintendo has two (arguably three) things right now that can cause DS to go to the stratosphere if they play their cards right in Japan:

1- Jump Super Smash
2- Pokemon Pearl & Diamond
3- Final Fantasy 3 (arguably)

I'm even tempted to include Nintendogs and Animal Crossing DS as a big possibility of becoming VERY popular in japan.

PSP has its big guns also, but I somehow think GT4 and the FF7 spinoff may not match this list's popularity over there

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
seismologist said:
Wasn't the DS was supposed to get crushed once people saw what the PSP could do?
And wasn't GBA SP supposed to continue to crush them both? Yet PSP sells 87% of GBA SP numbers this week, despite PSP shortages, and DS sells twice as many as the GBA SP. That doesn't exactly amount to crushing anyone.

'Course, we could be more reasonable about this and wait till more data is available, once the new devices are available in all regions, supply is reasonable, and you don't have to factor out the inflation effect of early adopter sales.

But that wouldn't be your style, would it, Giga?

Pimpwerx

PSP BOMB! BOMB! :lol ;)

Seriously, I don't know what's up with Sony's numbers, but I know they said 100k per week through the month of December. Not sure what they planned for Japan. Could be they're squirreling away units for the US and EU launch. Could be that the thing just isn't selling. Could be lots of things. For now, the PSP is getting outsold by the GBA and DS though, which is embarassing. We'll see how it turns around in the coming months. I can't imagine they're still biasing production to the PSTwo. At this point, they should be prepping the all-out PSP assault on western markets. But you'd expect the Japanese numbers to at least improve in the short term. I mean, why let Nintendo walk off to a 1-1.5M unit lead in a territory that will only really handle 20M or so? Letting them grab up to 10% of the market freely like that can't be good. Doesn't look like the PSP is slowing the DS's progress yet either, but I'll give it until March to play out. After the shortages end, so do the excuses though. PEACE.

And remember folks, if Nintendo were to have botched launch availibity like this it would have been "Stupid Nintendo" and "Nintendo mistake #24553"

But SONY gets a pass here. LOL

krypt0nian said:
And remember folks, if Nintendo were to have botched launch availibity like this it would have been "Stupid Nintendo" and "Nintendo mistake #24553"

But SONY gets a pass here. LOL

It's no different. If Nintendo would've botched the launch Nintendo fans would still defend them while Sony fans would bash them. Sony botched their launch, Sony fans are sticking by them and Nintendo fans are bashing them. Nothing new really.

Deku

Banned
I don't think Sony botched the launch, but rather Nintendo played its hand very well and read the market and demand correctly. If PSP launched first, with no other hardware to compare it to, the numbers would look quite solid on paper. It's more the strength of the DS's performance I think that's made it look like a botched launch.

While it is true there is a limiting factor as to how high PSP sales can go, if DS was a failure, we'd be seeing anemic software and hardware numbers for the DS, not having the hardware selling at a 2.6 :1 ratio over the PSP. Something is going on here that I don't quite see yet, and it's more than a supply problem on the Sony side. Looks like there is actually demand for the DS.

Question: isn't weekly production at about 100k? why did the numbers show only 55k sold.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm a little confused to by the shipment situation too. I know they apologised about the shortfall in supply, but I thought they were still saying 100k per week (which would still probably be a shortfall in supply, or so one would think).

Top Bottom