• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey Rebrushed |OT| The House of Mouse Gets Doused (with paint & thinner)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
PnpGD9A.jpeg

Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed brings the magic of Disney to life in a vibrant 3D platformer. This faithful remake sends Mickey Mouse on an epic journey through Wasteland, a realm of forgotten Disney characters. As Mickey, you will dive into a fantastical world, and armed with paint and thinner, shape your adventure and the fate of this alternate world.

AASzEgb.jpeg

KKxFqjv.jpeg

Release Date: August 27, 2024
Systems: Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox One, S and X, PC
Developer: Purple Lamp
Price: $59.99

Epic Mickey was part of an effort by Disney to re-brand Mickey Mouse as a character by placing less emphasis on his pleasant, cheerful side and reintroducing the more mischievous and adventurous sides of his personality,[2] depicting him as an epic hero. It was directed by Warren Spector, who collaborated with Walt Disney Animation Studios on the project, with help from Powerhouse Animation Studios, who made the cutscenes for the game.[

KZ8ZtUF.jpeg

The game is set in the Wasteland, a pen-and-paper stylized world, created in the game's narrative by the sorcerer Yen Sid, as a place for "forgotten things", namely disused or obscure Disney characters. It is physically inspired by Disneyland, and appears as an intricate model in Yen Sid's workshop. However, Mickey Mouse's fiddling with Yen Sid's paintbrush causes mass damage to the model, turning Wasteland into a post-apocalyptic landscape.

And featuring Oswald The Lucky Rabbit!

Various improvements added!

-Camera options
-A sprint button
-New finely detailed graphics, with improved lighting and darker ambience
-Overall improved control scheme (left trigger for paint, right trigger for thinner)
-Quicker load times
-60 fps (except for Switch)

olFBXCE.jpeg

WYOvZNc.jpeg

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
PnpGD9A.jpeg

AASzEgb.jpeg

KKxFqjv.jpeg

Release Date: August 27, 2024
Systems: Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox One, S and X, PC
Developer: Purple Lamp

KZ8ZtUF.jpeg

And featuring Oswald The Lucky Rabbit!

Various improvements added!

-Camera options
-A sprint button
-New finely detailed graphics, with improved lighting and darker ambience
-Overall improved control scheme (left trigger for paint, right trigger for thinner)
-Quicker load times
-60 fps (except for Switch)

olFBXCE.jpeg

WYOvZNc.jpeg

Damn, that concept art is so freaking good. I wish the game looked like that.

I remember briefly trying this on the Wii but not coming away too impressed. I wonder why they chose to remake it now? Maybe to try and re-strengthen the classic Mickey IP?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I remember briefly trying this on the Wii but not coming away too impressed. I wonder why they chose to remake it now? Maybe to try and re-strengthen the classic Mickey IP?

Who knows, but just going off of the demo they did a pretty damn good job with QOL improvements and really beefing up the artistry. Personally I think the new coat of paint (derp) actually makes it look a little closer to the concept art than the washed out original Wii version.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
>60 fps (except for Switch)

Dammit 😭

Yeah word around the campfire is that currently the Switch version isn't very good performance wise. Low framerates especially. If you can, grab it for the 5, PC or the stronger Xbox.

Also the price point is a bit of a buzzkill too. $60 is a pretty steep asking price for a 14 year old title despite how much work was put into touching it up.

Consider grabbing it around the holidays when it'll probably be on sale.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yeah word around the campfire is that currently the Switch version isn't very good performance wise. Low framerates especially. If you can, grab it for the 5, PC or the stronger Xbox.

Also the price point is a bit of a buzzkill too. $60 is a pretty steep asking price for a 14 year old title despite how much work was put into touching it up.

Consider grabbing it around the holidays when it'll probably be on sale.
Oh cool, there’s a demo. I’ll give that a shot before I commit to buying it. But that’s a good idea to get it around the holidays, I bet it’ll be at least 40% off.

jburdick7

Neo Member
Man I had this on the Wii back in the day but never finished it.

Demo ran great on my Steam Deck when I tried it out, gonna wait for a sale but definitely planning on picking it up to play on my breaks at work.

Alan Wake

This is pretty good. I like it. I never played the Wii original but I've watched some of it and this obviously looks way better. Runs pretty smoothly on PS5. Only problem is that it launched just after Astro Bot, which puts every platformer out there to shame.

Alan Wake

I’m interested but not at it’s price.

Mm, a bit pricey. I waited for reviews before jumping in. Seems like THQ Nordic often keep the price a tiny bit higher than most people would like (same for Alone in the Dark, which for me was worth full price but for most people probably wasn't). It's a short game, and I can understand why people hesitate.

awwr999999

Neo Member

The concept art looks like it was made for a PS2 game. PS5 Epic Mickey looks exactly like every other PS5 game with lots of PS5 signature colors - neon blue, green, pink and purple.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Flawless performance on the 5 so far. Also I forgot to mention it uses the haptics well.

0cDt3Cu.jpeg

Really feels like they wanted to make it look more like the concept art the more I’m playing.

soKiTCB.jpeg

So impressed. Bravo on these guys. For me it’ll already go down as one of the better/best remakes/remasters.

Especially for one that’s going to get really unnoticed. Another victim of releasing at the wrong time. People are tired of remasters and especially when they’re over a decade old and sixty bucks.

Grab it on sale or whatever. Dark Disney is the good shit. I was just talking to a decapitated head of an anamatronic Goofy.

Last edited:
This was one of the reasons back then I had hoped that they would simply wait a generation or two before making the game. There are quite a few games today coming really close to matching concept art 1:1, especially some of the newer high budget JRPGs. This game would have looked insane late-PS4/early-PS5 gen.

LMJ

This was one of the reasons back then I had hoped that they would simply wait a generation or two before making the game. There are quite a few games today coming really close to matching concept art 1:1, especially some of the newer high budget JRPGs. This game would have looked insane late-PS4/early-PS5 gen.
This was Warrens baby (super psyched they got him to supervise the remake) and he was totally interested in the motion controls of the Wii/ hence it being exclusive
Lipstick on a pig.
Unimpressive back then still unimpressive now.
Tell me you did no actual research on rebrushed, the game has seen a MASSIVE increase to it's visuals (duh lol) and numerous quality of life improvements as well, the OG game was ambitious, but on archaic hardware even for the time and that really held it back.

Not saying it's perfect, but a huge improvement on the original in nearly every way!
Epic GIF by Amazon Prime Video

JimboJones

This was Warrens baby (super psyched they got him to supervise the remake) and he was totally interested in the motion controls of the Wii/ hence it being exclusive

Tell me you did no actual research on rebrushed, the game has seen a MASSIVE increase to it's visuals (duh lol) and numerous quality of life improvements as well, the OG game was ambitious, but on archaic hardware even for the time and that really held it back.

Not saying it's perfect, but a huge improvement on the original in nearly every way!
Epic GIF by Amazon Prime Video
I played the demo, yeah it's improved but the base game is what I have an issue with, I just don't like it. Sorry!

I really want to get this but it's gonna have to wait until November or December. All horror games for October but I'm strangely geeked to play this, I only dabbled in the Wii version but i enjoyed the Rebrushd demo. I have the sequel on PS3 too.

Let's get a remaster of 40 Winks. I wonder who owns Eurocom's games? THQ Nordic should get on that.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Loved the second game, never played the first one. Was happy to hear when this was announced, picking it up later this year, September was Astrobot/Warhammer, October is Silent Hill 2/Metaphor, maybe towards the end of Nov/early Dec.

Top Bottom