• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan wants referendum on EU membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgy100

Europe wants Turkey in the EU but they just don't meet the standards, all the member states can do is help turkey improve. Unfortunately Turkey is getting worse, not better.

Kabouter

Brussels aides also note that Ankara's ties with Russia, the United States, Syria, Iran and Israel are all strained, hence it needs better relations with the EU.
Erdogan certainly can't be accused of actually trying to get better relations with the EU.

There is also the small matter of them not acknowledging Cyprus and Greece not liking them.

There's also that whole thing about Erdogan acting like he wants to create a new Turkish empire.

azyless

I love how he phrases this, as if Turkey wasn't getting billions in order to help them join, and despite the situation getting worse.

Europe doesn't want Edrogan because he is a semi-tyrant who is slowly rolling back equal rights, he is supressing freedom of the press, he is stacking the judicial system with cronies and most importantly Trukey has bought dirty oil from ISIS and has has sold weapons to ISIS

+ he is an Armenian Genocide denier

In parliament, they get the most MEPs because they have the largest populations. In fact, one could argue that they have proportionally less representation than the smallest members, since the minimum number of MEPs per country is 6. For instance, Germany, with a population of around 81 million, gets just under 100 MEPs, while the least populous can get 6 MEPs with a population of around 500k.

In the council, all countries have equal representation, because every member state sends their head of government, and similarly for the various councils of ministers. The president of the commission is elected by the parliament along European political blocs, and the current president is from one of the smallest EU member states (both in terms of land mass and population). Commissioners are distributed more or less evenly between the member states, and there's no guarantee the most important commissions will go to the largest member states.

I'm talking about bait and switch where EU was expanded under treaty of Nice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Nice

and then changed to current one which benefits biggest and smallest nations while greatly weakening anything in medium.

Joni

The president of the commission is elected by the parliament along European political blocs, and the current president is from one of the smallest EU member states (both in terms of land mass and population).

This is even by design. The most important functions are usually lead by smaller countries.

18-Volt

Big words for a president of a country with more than 27% unemployment. Well, what he once wished might come true: "Turkish people would be better off as construction workers".

While I generally don't see any reason for Turkey not to join the EU, I think it would be wrong to have them join in these times.

* The EU as it stands cannot even function properly with its existing members. there is already a huge political rift between its eastern states (Poland, Chzech Republic and Hungary) and the western states.
* Turkey under Erdogan is as far from European values as it could be
* War in Syria and Irak
* The missing acceptance of the fact that there was a genocide against the Armenians

It will take a long time to sort these things out.

Until then, I don't want Turkey in the EU

Although heavily censored, there is a civil war going on in South East Turkey at the moment. The kurds and Turks are going at each other, thousands dying.
No thanks, Erdogan.

1453 never forget
With all due respect, it's been hundreds of years, get over it. There was a war, it was won by a certain side.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I imagine most countries would. I know NL would for sure.

Which is the reason why Turkey has been a candidate member for more than forty years now, while other (European) countries became member states in less than a decade. And I agree with that sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom