• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Essential games for a successful PS3 launch?

FnordChan

D2M15 said:
Untitled FPS (NanaOn-Sha)
Llamatron++

Your entire list is beautiful, but these two are what really make it. However, you're forgeting a crucial Japanese launch game: Sweet Reiko Mahjongg Challenge - Ryu-Kyo-Ku Racer.

FnordChan

MoxManiac said:
Dynasty Warriors 5 with four player capability

This is Koei we're talking about, they wouldn't want to rush out too many new features for a sequel. 3 new characters and more draw distance will be quite enough for DW5.

And are those SocomII maps still going to happen (I'm not sure haven't been following them)? They seem to be vapourware at the moment. I wouldn't be suprised if Sony scrapped them and threw them into an expansion pack or a sequel of some sort.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Japanese Launch:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 or Tekken 5.5
Ridge Racer 6 (gotta launch with a RR)
Dynasty Warriors 5

US Launch
The 3 Japanese launch titles posted above plus...
Twisted Metal White (Black is the best car combat game ever IMO)
New series from Naughty Dog

Within 3-6 months of the Japanese launch (because I doubt they'd have these ready by March 2006 or thereabouts):
Gran Turismo 5
Final Fantasy XIII

Within 3-6 months of the US launch
New series from Insomniac (so it doesn't compete head on with ND's new series...since they will both probably be character/mascot type games)
GTA 4

DaCocoBrova said:
I want new IP!

To hell w/ all these damn sequels!

Furthermore, as expensive as games are, I really don't want to pay extra $$$ for online service. Especially as a multi-platform owner. But it seems like that's the way things are going to be.

IAWTP 100%.

Let's get some new games before you guys get your wish of [Game X] #3/4/5. Many of the best games of this generation were new IP's as opposed to sequels. Most IP's have a certain life and a game design that makes it very difficult to bring it to new technology. History is littered with these games that were simply more of the same.

New IP's = new ideas and remove the restrictions inherent in a sequel.

madara

A decent platformer, action rpg and rpg. Rest of you guys can fight over rest like driving, sports, fps, etc
FFXIII? That means it has to be very scary right?

Che

Banned
Unison said:
B00004TMRF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:lol I had totally forgot!

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I would want

GTA
MGS4
FF13
Fifa 2006
Pro Evolution Soccer 5
Need For Speed Undergraund 2
An Ico game

I can't really think of anymore now, but this is the reason io never gte a console on launch. Usually, all theb big title games come out 6 months/ a year after, so I just wait.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sonycowboy said:
IAWTP 100%.

Let's get some new games before you guys get your wish of [Game X] #3/4/5. Many of the best games of this generation were new IP's as opposed to sequels. Most IP's have a certain life and a game design that makes it very difficult to bring it to new technology. History is littered with these games that were simply more of the same.

New IP's = new ideas and remove the restrictions inherent in a sequel.
I don't disagree with what you or DCB are saying at all, but for the purposes of a discussion like this, it makes it a lot easier to talk in terms of established franchises, rather than trying to describe something new that would be "essential".

By all means, guys, describe some original IPs that you think would be essential, rather than just berate everybody else for naming mostly sequels.

Notably, one of the best original game IPs this gen, Halo, happens to one that DCB persistently takes the most issue with...Original IP ain't always a cure for what ails you ;)

kaching said:
I don't disagree with what you or DCB are saying at all, but for the purposes of a discussion like this, it makes it a lot easier to talk in terms of established franchises, rather than trying to describe something new that would be "essential".

By all means, guys, describe some original IPs that you think would be essential, rather than just berate everybody else for naming mostly sequels.

Notably, one of the best original game IPs this gen, Halo, happens to one that DCB persistently takes the most issue with...Original IP ain't always a cure for what ails you ;)

I'm not berating anyone. It's clear that if you trying to think of "system" sellers, the only real reference you have are to those that have performed well in the past (GT4, FF, SOCOM, MGS, etc). But, I think the reality is, is that when you get down to it, just getting a sequel on board isn't going to win anything for you (see Tomb Raider:AOD, Resident Evil 0, Crash, Goldeneye, Driv3r - which are arguably five of the biggest IP's last generation).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
If they manage to launch with the next GTA is all over for everyone else. But is unlikely that R* releases such a big IP without a big installed base.

Spike

The only way I could look at this realistically is to tell you the game that would sell me a PS3 on day 1. A sequel to Warhawk!! I loved that game.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Die Squirrel Die said:
TAnd are those SocomII maps still going to happen (I'm not sure haven't been following them)? They seem to be vapourware at the moment. I wouldn't be suprised if Sony scrapped them and threw them into an expansion pack or a sequel of some sort.
The first map has been released. The next one in a few weeks.

Gek54

If there is not a big sequel then I would take an equivilant to what SSX was to the PS2's launch.

Phoenix

A good RPG (Final Fantasy blah)
A racing game (Grand Turismo 4)
A football game (Madden)
A mech shooter (Armored Core X)
A flying shooter (Ace Combat 6)
An action game (Grand Theft Auto)
A party game (Death Dance Revolution Eye Toy edition)
A fighting Game (Rokem sokem Tekken)

With this core (all online enabled), Sony is a formidable launch platform. The rest just throws some dirt on the Xenon grave.

Gek54

I am hearing a Gran Turismo:Bike edition being prepped for PS3 launch. Similar to a GT:Concept from the sound of it. Probably another Japan and Europe only launch title. :\

Ramirez

Who gives a damn if we want sequels?If they're fun,then why not?Not to mention if Socom 3 was a launch title it would be like 3-4 years since Socom 2.

callous

Like several others have pointed out, the PS3 could probably launch with nothing but a box of kleenex for the jizz and people would still buy it. Personally I would need something like Ridge Racer for the Kleenex to be put into action.

To the people saying "another Tekken" for the PS3's launch fighting game, I say: why? T5 probably won't hit PS2 until the summer or fall of 2005... don't you think it'd be too soon for another one if PS3 drops in 2006?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Spike Spiegel said:
To the people saying "another Tekken" for the PS3's launch fighting game, I say: why? T5 probably won't hit PS2 until the summer or fall of 2005... don't you think it'd be too soon for another one if PS3 drops in 2006?

No, not at all. If they released an upgraded version of T5 with improved graphics (the way TTT's graphics on the PS2 were improved over the arcade), a couple more stages, a couple more characters, and perhaps a tag feature I don't think anyone would complain. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Namco released two Tekkens so closely together.

Tekken 1 - released Nov 1995 in the US
Tekken 2 - released Aug 1996 in the US
They were a mere 9 months apart.

cvxfreak

I think an essential launch needs a good racing game, an RPG, a simple puzzle game and a terrible game with the best graphics of the day.

Grand Theft Auto Next should be ready by fall 2006 ... which coincidentally should be the launch period for PS3 in North America and Europe. Hmmmm.

The Japanese launch will probably be some of the usual suspects -- A Ridge Racer here, a Dynasty Warriors or Winning Eleven Soccer there.

Sony has said they want a better launch this time out though, so I would not put it past them to have a really great lineup of games.

Virtua Fighter 5 would be awesome. I suspect Sega will have some strong PS3 support out of the gates.

A next generation Jak & Daxter or Ratchet & Clank (or possibly a new platforming franchise) is very probable also.

I think the only genre the Playstation 2 is weak in is first person shooters (the original PSX also with GoldenEye/Turok/PD on the N64). Sony should look to invest in a developer to make a really strong FPS IP for the PS3.

The thing about PS3 launching in 2006 is it really gives a lot of developer a good amount of time to wrap up their final PS2 projects and have a good amount of time to get PS3 launch stuff out.

Soul4ger

Ideally, sequels. Specifically, these sequels:

Gitaroo Man 2
NICO (Wanda looks swell, but I like the little horned fucker)
Klonoa 3

A Gitaroo Man sequel with support for the Eyetoy could be one of the best things ever, or super frustrating. They could use the color object recognition to allow us to play super awesome air guitar! :D

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
SolidSnakex said:
SOCOM's basically the king of console military shooters so it'd do well. There might be alot of them, but that seems to get the most focus. Also there's Sony's got that new online plan they're trying to get together. If that's ready for launch, then SOCOM 3 would make an even better launch title.

I agree 100%. I would buy PS3 for Socom 3 alone, I really enjoyed Socom and Socom 2 on PS2 and Socom is just a far better game then all the others shooters for any console.

J2 Cool

Whatever big name franchise to have a launch game ready will have a huge hit on their hands. MGS4, GTA4, GT5, FF, anything. They have a ton of great franchises and fans would be ecstatic to see any one of the series debut on it. But if GTA4 could be ready for a launch in the US and UK while FF is ready in Japan, that would be ideal sales wise. Oh, also a Madden in the US. People love football games and always seem to need to grab that next gen one. I knew I'd need to have it

Top Bottom