• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ether One |OT| What the mind thinks, The heart transmits

BraXzy

GA8Ji56.jpg

Developer: White Paper Games
Release Date: 25th March 2014
Blog: http://www.whitepapergames.com/blog/
Soundtrack: http://njapostol.bandcamp.com/album/ether-one

Ether One™ is a first person adventure that deals with the fragility of the human mind.

There are two paths in the world you can choose from. At its core is a story exploration path free from puzzles where you can unfold the story at your own pace.

There is also a deeper, more adventurous path in which you can complete complex puzzles to restore life changing events of the patients history in order to help the validation of their life.

The choice is left to you.

Welcome to Pinwheel.

Trailer

Features

• A first person adventure game.
  • Open narrative exploration in the town of Pinwheel.
  • Optional puzzle solving.
  • Challenging pen and paper puzzle design you can decrypt at your own pace.
  • Pre-order now and receive for FREE the Deluxe Edition upgrade package which includes the following bonus content: soundtrack in MP3 and FLAC, comic, game script, and artwork.
  • Oculus Rift support

Media - Click for Larger Res

[URL="http://www.ether-game.com/images/release/gal/full/03.jpg"]
03.jpg
[/URL]

Pre-Order

Reviews

SideQuesting - 10
The last 15 minutes of the game brought about the same feelings of discovery that I felt when playing BioShock Infinite. I gained an understanding of something that I hadn’t previously thought about, and I am better for the experience. Play Ether One.

VR Focus - 10
Ether One‘s biggest flaw is a simple one: it’s not long enough. The adventure is such a pure, beautiful experience that when it ends you’ll immediately realise that all you want is more.

Duuro - 9
As the premiere title for a young start-up developer, White Paper Games have really delivered with Ether One. I highly recommend fans of the adventure genre to give this a shot; You shouldn’t be disappointed.

Game Revolution - 9
It wasn’t until last year’s Gone Home that I felt the same essence I felt playing Myst as a child, mostly due to the convincing setting and exploration. Ether One, the first offering from White Paper Games, brought me even closer to that feeling without forfeiting a unique character all its own.

StrategyInformer - 9
It’s been just two days since I last player Ether One and I’ve not stopped thinking about it since. I thought about it before I went to bed last night, and the night before. I thought about it when I woke up this morning. I thought about it when I had lunch. So far I’ve sunk 12 hours into a game easily completable in four. I’ve not nearly managed to restore all of the projectors. And I’ve hardly scratched the surface.

PC Gamer - 8.2
Ether One is flawed. Yet as the Warden’s mug stared up at me, inert, I didn’t feel frustrated, cheated or otherwise miffed. I felt daft. Because this game is smart. It offers you the chance to skip the set-pieces and sprint to the finish, but that would be conceding defeat. It would know it had won. In separating puzzles from progression, Ether One challenges your intelligence. Completion is a compulsion, a matter of pride

Capsule Computer - 8
Ether One is an excellent adventure game that is a must play for those who ache for the old days of adventure gaming. For those who do not have the patience or desire to tackle challenging puzzles may find the game extremely short. Although the over-arching plot can be a bit confusing, the entire experience in Ether One is so well executed that it is worth the while to at least give the game a try.

Joystiq - 8
The world of Ether One is a superbly detailed and well thought-out place. The gameplay hearkens back to an age when you needed three pages of notes to solve a single puzzle. The story is both heartbreaking and horrifying, as well as intriguing and enigmatic.

GamrReview - 7.8
Ether One is for those of us who want something more from our games, not constant action and minimal narratives. Here, distracting gameplay elements have been taken away, ensuring that a believable story is at the forefront of the experience. It took me 4 hours to complete Ether One on my first playthrough, although I missed a fair bit of side content that would have filled the game out and made its $20 price point feel more justified. Ether One takes some of the best parts of Gone Home and To The Moon and melds them into something highly original, making it an appealing title for those wanting a unique gaming experience that’s thought-provoking and emotional.

BraXzy

Just did an interview with White Paper Games the other day on Ether One, provides a lot of new details if you're interested in checking this game out. Hopefully you don't consider this spam! :) http://www.onlysp.com/ether-one-looks-to-explore-your-emotions-on-a-psychological-journey/

Really nice write up. I don't see a problem posting it, I was going to include a few press previews but thought keeping it simple would be best, people can always look it up I guess?

Been playing this game a bit myself, put about 2 hours into it and so far its really solid, the puzzles though are really tough, and they're fairly logical so that makes me feel even dumber for not finishing a few D:

i think if/when this gets the attention from the mainstream press then more people will jump onto it, the reviews so far are looking good!

BraXzy

Been playing this game a bit myself, put about 2 hours into it and so far its really solid, the puzzles though are really tough, and they're fairly logical so that makes me feel even dumber for not finishing a few D:

i think if/when this gets the attention from the mainstream press then more people will jump onto it, the reviews so far are looking good!

Have you used pen and paper to help? A lot of the puzzles need that kind of approach I think.. yeah hopefully more reviews come out. If I had the time I'd spend all of tomorrow playing through in one go and soaking it all up.. will have to wait till weekend!

BraXzy

I have been using pen and paper to help! Really came in handy in the industrial area :p DAT miners dry puzzle

Some new reviews thatve been really positive, if you wanna update the op

http://www.sidequesting.com/video-game-review/ether-one-review-no-time-to-lose-your-mind/ - 5/5

Http://www.vrfocus.com/archives/book-review/review-ether-one 5/5

Http://www.killscreendaily.com/articles/news/ether-one

Http://www.strategyinformer.com/PC/etherone/2313/review.HTML 9/10

I'll add them in. Good to hear you're enjoying it :D

Played this at EGX Rezzed yesterday (with the Oculus Rift, too), really liked my time with it.
Ether One
ether_one_by_digi_matrix-d7c555t.jpg

First time playing around with an Oculus Rift. Narrative game set in a seaside town (at least from the demo), about memories and a bit of nostalgia. Very relaxing atmosphere. Not much benefit with the OR, only got to play around with it for 5 min so I asked to play it on mouse and keyboard for 20 more minutes. Examining 3D items is much easier with the mouse. The female narrator is nice. There was a Looking Glass reference which I had to ask the developer about and he nodded. Some slight puzzles like figuring out the code to a safe behind a painting in a bar, so you have to find out the most popular brew and input that, then input a code. The game is out and I’m a sucker for these kind of games, so will have to check it out.
Now to give the full game a go.

BraXzy

Played this at EGX Rezzed yesterday (with the Oculus Rift, too), really liked my time with it.

Now to give the full game a go.

Awesome! Great write ups on all the games you tried, I really want to get my hands on Alien Isolation and Murdered: Soul Suspect so I'm jealous :p

Here's a great little interview with one of the Ether One dev's, there's an English version at the bottom so scroll down: http://www.game-sphere.fr/2014/03/interview-white-paper-games-ether-one-fren/

BraXzy

done a solid amount of the puzzles now, some of the later ones are so annoyingly tough :< anyway pcgamer just added their review, another good review, shame this inst getting a great deal of publicity :( i'd like to talk to guys about some of the puzzles heh

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/ether-one-review/ - 82/100

Don't worry, when I get some free time I am going to sink a lot of time into this and I will happily work with you on tricky puzzles :D

It is a bit of a shame people aren't picking this up.

Inkwell

Banned
Why didn't this game get more love on here? It's like some combination of Myst, Dear Esther, and Gone Home. It's been a little over a week since I finished this game and my thoughts keep returning to it. I was initially a little underwhelmed by the story and its presentation, but man does it ever pay off. It's not necessarily a mind blower, but it's touching and even a bit sad. The game really ties up nicely with the epilogue if you solve all of the puzzles.

That's not to say the game isn't without its problems. Due to the nature of the game, some of the puzzles seem a bit arbitrary. I solved a couple of the puzzles without fully understanding the logic behind them. I had enough information to make educated guesses. I may have just missed something though. It also tells part of its story through heavy use of notes and a few audio log type things. Personally I'm a little sick of this type of story telling. It does seem to fit this game a little more than others since it's quite a bit more slow and a more relaxing game than others that employ it. You feel like you can take the time to read everything while not constantly being pushed forward.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of first person adventure games, as well as those to enjoy games like Dear Esther and Gone Home. You don't even need to solve any of the puzzles (though I suggest you do to get the epilogue, use a guide if you need to). There's this emotional core to the game that made me kind of fall in love with it. I got this for 50% off during the steam summer sale. Personally, I would have easily payed full price for it had I known the quality of the game.

By the way, I just heard that there is a PS4 version in the works. Not sure when they plan on releasing it.

Finally, playing this. Checking myself in.
ibl6Kgmv5n0YBZ.jpg

Played an hour, really liking the Eternal Sunshine vibes and lonely atmosphere of a dying mining English town. Really pretty in its own way. Might try to finish it tomorrow to see what I make of it all, considering the subject matter is something of interest to me.
ibdgSVi7QjGPl7.jpg

icn6uyk8ZLfu6.jpg

ibdVFGFwn2U65T.jpg

ib1HuyfDaRUKrq.jpg

iEsZ5WFdGnVoW.jpg

Inkwell

Banned
Anyone play this? Is it any good? Currently $5 on Gamersgate for those interested:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EONE/ether-one

I had a nice long reply until I hit enter at the same time the Windows Update box popped up telling me I needed to restart my computer. Then I had to sit through a hard drive check. ugh.

I'll get right to it, for something more in depth look at my previous post. In short, I loved it even though it's not perfect. It really should have gotten more attention on gaf. Here's some things to keep in mind:

1. Not all of the puzzles seem logical. It doesn't mean they are bad, but the logic isn't necessarily based in reality. For example, there's a few puzzles where you have to type in an answer and fill in some blank, whether it be on some sheet of paper or a chalk board. You get used to it. Some other puzzles could be described as similar to puzzles in something like Silent Hill, just to give them a little more context.

2. I had a few puzzles I just didn't get. One in specific I still don't understand even after having looked up the solution. That could just be me being stupid, but don't feel bad about looking at a guide.

3. Here's a couple of tips. First, remember that you have a key bind that tells you the names or gives you a short description of objects you look at. It may help with a few puzzles. Second, there's a whole section of the game I missed my first time through. It was hidden a little too well. Try to find it before going to the last area. There's 4 "levels" to the game, as evidenced from the 4 doors in the hub/inventory area (the case). I think it's technically the 3rd area. You'll know you found it because it's
in a mine shaft/cavern
. Very mild spoiler, just thought I would use the tags just to be safe.

Keep in mind, you don't technically have to solve any puzzles aside from the tutorial/intro area. The main goal is to simply explore and collect ribbons. This means nothing will prevent you from simply walking through each area until you get to the end. I don't suggest that though. There's a nice epilogue for solving every puzzle and getting each projector working. I guess one way to look at it is that at worst you're only paying $5 for a nice looking walking simulator.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't gotten more of a response, but maybe the concept is somewhat off-putting. I picked this up from gog's sale this week, and have played a few hours. Really pretty game, runs well on my decent pc (it's Unreal Engine) with everything maxed and framerate unlocked, which is a welcome option. It's been really enjoyable to explore the world, uncovering the story via puzzle-solving and scouring the areas for clues and tidbits. I also really like the idea of having the hub act as a sort of physical inventory that you can instantly access and return from anywhere at any time, a very cool idea. The puzzle-solving is adventure game-y, with many situations requiring you to use an object on a location, with environmental or audio clues as to what to use where.

It's obvious that the artists either just played or are big fans of Dishonored, as the pseudo-painterly texturing and note screen graphics are almost identical - which is not a bad thing necessarily, as I happen to think they work very well (and if you're going to pull inspiration, Dishonored is a fantastic place to go). It also feels like Gone Home was likely a reference point, with the item pickup/putback system and high-res (readable!) text everywhere. Actually, I'd say this feels overall like a bigger more British version of Gone Home. Which is fine by me. There are also tons of references so far integrated nicely into notes and environmental descriptors, including off the top of my head
Harvey Smith
Looking Glass
, and
Idle Thumbs

The music is really fantastic, and the deluxe version ($15 right now on gog, likely to be on sale on Steam's holiday sale soon, too) includes the soundtrack in mp3 and FLAC. Apart from the soundtrack, it has some nice artworks (which are integrated nicely into the game world) and wallpapers, as well as some screenplays and comics, the last two of which I haven't looked at yet.

All told, I'm finding it to be an impressive and lovely world to explore, and the premise and story are very nicely presented. This is certainly not a game for everyone, but seems worth it if you're a fan of puzzles and interestingly detailed worlds. Looking forward to what these guys work on next.

This is going to be one of the free PS+ games next week. Really looking forward to giving it a try. A first person explore-em-up with puzzles?! Sounds wonderful.

PS4 trophies for this... my god... only 13 and 10 are gold, 2 silver, with the remaining a platinum.

I'd play EO to 100% regardless since it's totally up my alley but hot damn, if you wanted to get someone's attention that normally wouldn't spend the time digging through all that you've put into the game, this is surely a way. *tips hat*

Just downloaded this from PS Plus and Jesus...what the hell is up with the character movement in this game? Feels like I'm walking through honey or something. Sprinting feels more like a brisk walk.

Sulaco

Game seems buggy on PS4 even after the patch.

After going down the lift in Devlin Mines I saved and quit. On loading the game again I'm back at the start of the level, objectives completed, but the lift won't go down anymore.

what the hell is up with the character movement in this game?

I'm not so annoyed by the movement speed as moving around much faster might making highlighting items with your tiny reticule more annoying than it ought to be. The lack of Invert-Y in the control options however bugs me a little. I acclimated to it then went back to playing Bloodborne with the Y inverted and was getting wrecked because I kept getting mixed up haha

Game seems buggy on PS4 even after the patch.

I'm right around there and haven't noticed the issue you mentioned. Wonder what the trigger is.

Also, the subtitle speed is hysterical. The intro monologue's subtitles wrapped up when the spoken dialogue was only about 2/3 of the way done. For a second I thought there was actually two different dialogues going on simultaneously; the speaker's dialogue and your own thoughts, then I realized it was just poor syncing. I just clicked the subtitles off after that.

Sulaco

I started a new game. Flew through the bits I'd already explored so no major harm done. Hopefully it was a one-off glitch.

Goldrusher

I'm stuck. :/
(PS4)

I have collected every ribbon in Pinwheel Harbour, Pinwheel Industrial and Brimcliff Mines. Collected in that order.

Now how do I get to Pinwheel Village?
Every gate is locked.

Oh, and the music box for Pinwheel Industrial doesn't work... probably a bug and related to not being allowed to go to the Village?

I played this a bit yesterday, loved it, and then got to a point in the mines where I was unable to warp back to the case using triangle button. Wasn't sure if it was a bug or something story-related. Guess it was a bug. Now I'm not sure I'll even start it up again.

ThankeeSai

I'm not so annoyed by the movement speed as moving around much faster might making highlighting items with your tiny reticule more annoying than it ought to be. The lack of Invert-Y in the control options however bugs me a little. I acclimated to it then went back to playing Bloodborne with the Y inverted and was getting wrecked because I kept getting mixed up haha.

Really??

FFS, well that's me unable to play it then. How could they miss out such a basic thing in the control scheme?

Was looking forward to this, too.

*Edit*

Apparently, this has been fixed for Europe and will be fixed shortly for the US.

Huzzah!

Found all ribbons in the harbour, there are eight ribbons in the pedestal but there's no music box and I can't interact with it. I thought I was missing something so I spent an hour or so aimlessly running around and finishing the puzzles. Still can't progress so I'm guessing it's broken! I would have just thought it was a really hard puzzle if I hadn't checked.

Goldrusher

Found all ribbons in the harbour, there are eight ribbons in the pedestal but there's no music box and I can't interact with it. I thought I was missing something so I spent an hour or so aimlessly running around and finishing the puzzles. Still can't progress so I'm guessing it's broken! I would have just thought it was a really hard puzzle if I hadn't checked.
There's a good chance it has been fixed with the next patch, from what I've read on Twitter and Reddit.
So not the patch that is out now, but a new patch that is coming.

They've also fixed a bug where you can't use one of the storage shelves.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
The first area/tutorial zone is sure a big put off, plus the bugs, but after doing the mines and collecting some ribbons, I like it. a bit text heavy, and the puzzles are on this side of obtuse but I like the feel.

Feel a bit like I'm on the island of The Prisoner

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I really want to like this game, but it's such a bugfest that I'm quickly losing patience. :mad:

Yeah, I lost half my items in the case, my projector progress reset (the number listed in the case) and the 2nd music box disappeared but the first one keeps reappearing...

LycanXIII

Game keeps crashing on me in the Harbor after I
connect the cables and flip the switch in the Blacksmith's cellar.
I was sort of enjoying this game before this started happening. And it causes my PS4 to sound like it's a plane.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I was sort of enjoying this game before this started happening. And it causes my PS4 to sound like it's a plane.

Wait for the updates and don't play now.

cchum

Whew...glad it's not just me. Put those somewhere and hunted them down only to keep crashing at that part

Top Bottom