• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evercade - Legacy of Kain Collection Announced

Agent X

Evercade's are cool and their hardware gets better and better with every device. They release some absolutly banging classic game collections on carts
I agree. They've accumulated quite a library in the span of only about four years. It seems like they're picking up steam, considering that they're attracting some newer high-profile franchises like Duke Nukem, Tomb Raider, and now Legacy of Kain.

In addition to the retro games from years past, they've also released a few cartridges with indie games that were recently developed for the old systems. A few of these games' developers even produced native ports specifically for the Evercade systems.

00_Zer0

I agree. They've accumulated quite a library in the span of only about four years. It seems like they're picking up steam, considering that they're attracting some newer high-profile franchises like Duke Nukem, Tomb Raider, and now Legacy of Kain.

In addition to the retro games from years past, they've also released a few cartridges with indie games that were recently developed for the old systems. A few of these games' developers even produced native ports specifically for the Evercade systems.

I love what they did with The Duke Nukem 1 and 2 Remastered ports. Those 2 games aren't even emulation, they are source ports of the RigelEngine. Even though you can use RigelEngine on PC I enjoyed Blazes in house developers bringing this over natively to their platform. They used some different graphical flourishes not even seen on the PC ports. I did end up grabbing the Duke Collection 1 cart because of their effort.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Gimme that effin collection that was leaked at the toy show.

It's a different thing (according to the product listing, which was not "leaked", it just wasn't accompanied by an official media blitz yet.) Some have already mentioned that it make sense to be a Gamescom announcement.

Last edited:

GinSama

The fall of this IP needs to be studied.....
This sucks, not even that f2p Nosgoth had a chance to come out....
It makes me sick how they fumbled with so many canceled games....

Ozzie666

Seems like a perfect game to use the power of the SDD, switching between the two realm states instantly. It would have been a good technical show piece at launch.
The franchise deserves better.

But god bless the Evercade.

I said they would pull some bullshit in the previous Legacy of Kain thread and I was right. Why even do something like this?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean... I think Evercade has a neat little niche, but this seems like SUCH a strange call for an initial announcement. Particularly launching games on a cartridge that weren't even cartridge-based to begin with, just feels very strange -- like, if you're playing off peoples' nostalgia for the original games, those were on discs.

Good on them, it does seem like Evercade must be doing well given how big some of these titles they're getting are. Analogue is producing some pretty high quality reproductions(?) of older consoles that seem to keep selling out, so there must be a bigger market for this type of product than I would've thought. Kind of a bummer Nintendo wouldn't throw their hat in the ring, given how meticulous their hardware has always been.

Either way, *very* strange platform for the Legacy of Kain games to wind up on. I can't possible imagine this precluding them from doing proper remasters on modern platforms, but who knows?

They have been doing so for quite a while.
They even release brand new games with retro style.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I love what they did with The Duke Nukem 1 and 2 Remastered ports. Those 2 games aren't even emulation, they are source ports of the RigelEngine. Even though you can use RigelEngine on PC I enjoyed Blazes in house developers bringing this over natively to their platform. They used some different graphical flourishes not even seen on the PC ports. I did end up grabbing the Duke Collection 1 cart because of their effort.

I had no idea they were putting real effort into these - I thought it was the usual emulated compilation shlock that everyone else seems content with these days. Is this the norm for Evercade, or is this just like a really nice one-off sorta thing?

00_Zer0

I had no idea they were putting real effort into these - I thought it was the usual emulated compilation shlock that everyone else seems content with these days. Is this the norm for Evercade, or is this just like a really nice one-off sorta thing?
Some of their indie games are natively ported too, but most are emulated compilations. Full Void is a native indie port that is not emulation.

Romulus

I'll just play the Dreamcast version via emulation. The ps1 version they're using for this emulation is crap.

Evercade is trash, got the newest handheld one and it couldnt hold a charge for more than 3 minutes. Faulty ass hardware. Luckily I got it through Amazon so the return was easy.

Top Bottom