• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairfield University investigating "ghetto-themed" party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

When it rains it pours.

FAIRFIELD — A “ghetto-themed” party hosted Saturday by Fairfield University students in off-campus housing has set off both an investigation and a call for more sensitivity on the sprawling, suburban campus.

“It is truly disappointing to see my fellow students ... behave in such a manner that mocks (another) race,” Anmol Tabassum, a Bridgeport resident and Fairfield University sophomore, said Monday.

“The fact that there was even an idea to dress as ‘ghetto’ is an intrinsically perverted issue,” said Joe Harding, a Fairfield University junior from Philadelphia, said. “When a party has a theme, the participants are expected to wear a costume. In this case, the partygoers chose to wear clothing and accessories that portrayed their conceptualizations of what it means to be ghetto ... Ghetto is not a term of endearment.” Harding called the event “despicable” and “disappointing.”

After responding to social media posts and at least one picture allegedly taken at the party, on Monday Jennifer Anderson, the university’s vice president of marketing and communications, said officials are working with students and diversity officials to investigate.

“There was a party on Saturday evening, at a house on the beach,’’ Anderson confirmed. “We are working to understand the details.” University spokeswoman Teddy DeRosa said appropriate actions would be taken as soon as the facts have been determined.

On the Fairfield campus, some students said they were disturbed and outraged by the reported incident. Brianna Tancredi a junior accounting and management major, condemned the party. “There are certain groups on campus, where that’s their culture, that’s where they came from,” Tancredi said. “But having that party, it’s like making fun of it.”

Marelyn Maces, a freshman from Bridgeport of Mexican descent, found out about the theme of the party Monday morning from a friend. “Sometimes we make decisions and don’t know what the outcomes are on other people,” Maces said. “We have to think twice about what we’re doing. We’re not just affecting ourselves, we’re affecting everyone around us.”

Other Fairfield University students seemed unfazed. “I’m neutral about it. I don’t have any feelings toward it,” said Nick Sagliocca, as he and fellow sophomore Brian Mason headed to the gym Monday afternoon. “It’s like Halloween, where I’m dressed as a gangster,” Brian Mason, who said he dressed that way as a 4-year-old, said. “Nobody said anything then.”
Both said they heard of the party and watched the theme go through several iterations, starting as a toga theme early in the week and ending up, the Saturday of the event, as ghetto-themed. Sagliocca said he had considered going, but ended up going elsewhere.
ctpost.com

Apparently, it came to this reporters attention: Mercy A. Quaye

EDIT:
One unverified image showed a student dressed as pregnant women holding a cigarette with the caption “who’s the daddy??? Anyone’s guess.”

Another unverified screenshot that appears to come from a Facebook group titled Fairfield University Class of 2017 shows one student, Dan Radel, writing sarcastically about backlash against the “ghetto party” he attended.

“I wore a hot dog costume to this party and now feel that my actions have caused emotional harm to all of the hot dog community. Specifically I would like to apologize to Mr. Oscar Meyer as I did not mean to portray your weiner in a negative fashion,” one part of the post reads.

Radel ended his post with the hashtags #hotdogsmatter, and #peopledont, both apparent references to the Black Lives Matter movement.
http://www.thebridgeportnews.com/19201/fairfield-university-investigating-reports-of-ghetto-party/

“Even though the school is becoming more diverse, the students aren’t being integrated well,” Juanita Rainey, a 20-year-old junior from Bridgeport, said. “So it’s disappointing because I’ve had all these friends, who I thought were okay with me, happily attend this party to make fun of black people.”

A number of Fairfield students were pictured in brown makeup, wearing baggy clothing and holding bottles of 40oz Coors Light. The students who hosted the party have not yet been identified.
http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/fairfield_university_investigating_race-themed_off-campus_party/

PBY

Banned
SO to those kids who put their names down on the record endorsing this without even having been there

Arc

I thought this theme was called "Pimps 'n hoes". You could have found a party like this every other weekend on my college campus. Why is this news or surprising?

Cipherr

I thought this theme was called "Pimps 'n hoes". You could have found a party like this every other weekend on my college campus. Why is this news or surprising?

Because its absolutely stupid?

Edit: And whats with the rationalization of "It used to happen during 'x' so why is anyone upset!?". This is a very stupid stupid line of thought.

Anyways, Happy Black History Month.

what race does ghetto mock? there was ghettos in Germany, Ireland, Italy and all across Europe since forever. When I hear the word ghetto and think about what it represents I think about where it originated and Jewish ghettos in germany and across Europe come to mind.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
what race does ghetto mock? there was ghettos in Germany, Ireland, Italy and all across Europe since forever. When I hear the word ghetto and think about what it represents I think about where it originated and Jewish ghettos in germany and across Europe come to mind.

Black people.

And to a (way, way) lesser extent, Hispanics.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Brian Mason, who said he dressed that way as a 4-year-old, said. “Nobody said anything then.”

Come the fuck on.

Come the fuck on!

23qwerty

one of the more disingenuous things I've read today. you might have a case if this was outside the states. maybe.

This is what happens when 90 percent of your friends look like you.

And those who don't only seem to live in the rundown section of town.

Founding fathers would be so proud.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

In America it's a pretty specific term

Cipherr

ITT a few other people who dressed like that when they were 4 so that makes it soooo okay.
KuGsj.gif

Ghetto=a certain race?

Don't play stupid. Pick a search engine and google 'Ghetto Person' and pretend you didn't expect the majority of the results to overwhelmingly be black while the rest of us converse. Orrrr you could read the OP where it states someone was there in blackface. But you know... whatever.

Korey

God damn the politically correct police need to chill out on this one

I don't think it is. I don't have a certain race in my mind when I hear the word Ghetto

That's nice, but in American society it's a coded term. Maybe you're living under a rock?

I mean, there's an article about it and everything in the OP. I'm pretty sure the theme of the party wasn't about Jewish ghettos. Not sure why you're fighting this.

This isn't much of a surprise. This is pretty norm for college campuses actually. It's rather shitty but I'm not necessarily sure it dons investigation if it was off campus.

ShyMel

Hope everyone who attended this "party" is identified and faces actual consequences such as being expelled from the university, or at least have scholarships revoked. People will not stop doing this until their punishment is more than some "we've talked to the students involved" junk.

MisterNoisy

Why does the university give a fuck about something that happened without being sanctioned by the university again? I get cracking down if things occur at a university-sanctioned event, but if people derp on their own time/wherewithal, what makes it the faculty's business?

Because they are apparently cracking down on off-campus parties for reasons other than underage drinking or drug use.

Indeed it's not cool and just more nannying

Nosgotham

Do you also not see color?
Obviously I see color, I also have stereotypes in my head of all races like humans tend to do, but growing up in the northern Midwest ghetto has nothing to do with being black or any other race, it's a matter of circumstance.

I will admit that I didn't read the articles so if they were in black face or whatever, yeah that's super fucked up. But my criticism applies to the people who think ghetto = black or any other race.

23qwerty

Because they are apparently cracking down on off-campus parties for reasons other than underage drinking or drug use.

Why does the university give a fuck about something that happened without being sanctioned by the university again? I get cracking down if things occur at a university-sanctioned event, but if people derp on their own time/wherewithal, what makes it the faculty's business?

Or idk: maybe because racism is bad and should be punished?
I also can't imagine the university would like to be represented by these individuals.

Seesaw15

Really dancing between raindrops to stay colorblind.

I've definitely attended themed parties. Even pimps and hoes ones. Greek/Toga, western, halloween, etc. Never saw them as anything bad. Then again, nobody took the theme to an extreme or took it too seriously. And of course nobody ever showed up in brown makeup.

At most, the girls dressed... in skimpy clothes - like pretty much all parties. The guys... maybe dressed up a bit with one or two getting a hold of a crazy hat.

Is Fairfield University in any of these countries?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

A University can't stop an off campus racist party from happening, but they sure can kick participants out of their school of higher learning.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Also valid. If it was off campus, people are free to do as they please. Not like they were committing a crime. It's still dumb tho.

kcp12304

Banned
fairfieldfbmessage488_325_452_99.jpg

I'm from CT. So many kids who live in their middle class bubbles and have no exposure to the people that live in cities next door.

MisterNoisy

Or idk: maybe because racism is bad and should be punished?
I also can't imagine the university would like to be represented by these individuals.

Or alternately, let people make dumb jokes and have them be nothing more than the dumb jokes that they are instead of the basis for an online witch hunt.

A University can't stop an off campus racist party from happening, but they sure can kick participants out of their school of higher learning.

As they are private, they probably have much more leeway to do this, yeah. Probably will depend on how their student handbook/rules are worded.

Edit: And student conduct rules generally do and certainly can extend to off-campus events. The rules, if broken, generally do not end on campus.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

God damn the politically correct police need to chill out on this one

I don't think it is. I don't have a certain race in my mind when I hear the word Ghetto

odIep1r.gif

riotous

Banned
Because it was in the news.

Notice how it says the schools VP of marketing is the one commenting; if you do something to cause bad PR for your private university it's well within their right to do something about it.

Which may simply be making some comments in the news and hoping this goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom