• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairfield University investigating "ghetto-themed" party

Status
Not open for further replies.
fairfieldfbmessage488_325_452_99.jpg

I'm from CT. So many kids who live in their middle class bubbles and have no exposure to the people that live in cities next door.

How nice of him to take the initiative to forever attach his name to both this idiot event as well as a succinct piece of text demonstrating what a garbage human he is!

RedSwirl

I kinda had this terrible idea in my head for a quick second but it passed before it fully formed: let the party go on, but have somebody else crash it in a way that causes the attendees undue psychological and financial stress.

Edit: Wait, what if they somehow decide to have the party off-campus to get around this and somebody ends up finding a way to invite a shitload of black people over. I'm just spitballing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Or alternately, let people make dumb jokes and have them be nothing more than the dumb jokes that they are instead of the basis for an online witch hunt.

Well it is dumb. It's also racist and not a joke. Marginalizing a group of people because the color of skin they were born with isn't a joke.

what race does ghetto mock? there was ghettos in Germany, Ireland, Italy and all across Europe since forever. When I hear the word ghetto and think about what it represents I think about where it originated and Jewish ghettos in germany and across Europe come to mind.

You get the award for the most intellectually dishonest post of the day.

I am guilty of not reading the link and traveling around the world and seeing people of all races usually using the term to define slum like areas. I am sorry I don't have the American term in mind when I hear that word. If you want to bitch and scoff at my comments scoff at them because I was ignorant towards reading the article not because I mainly experienced the word being defined for what it really is.

Alucrid

Banned
what race does ghetto mock? there was ghettos in Germany, Ireland, Italy and all across Europe since forever. When I hear the word ghetto and think about what it represents I think about where it originated and Jewish ghettos in germany and across Europe come to mind.

oh of course. making light of the jewish ghettos that the nazis forces thousands of jews in before shipping them off to concentration camps would be far less of an issue.

Connecticut related news hits the OT every now and then. It's never for a good reason.

Also to people trying to rationalize this, I grew up in Fairfield. These idiots knew exactly what they were doing. There is no misunderstanding or misinterpretation going on here as to what they meant the term "ghetto" to mean. Downtown Bridgeport is literally a few blocks over, and their school's (terrible) basketball team plays their games there as well.

If you think the word 'ghetto' only applies to African America's you being at minimum disingenious, at worst, racist.

Ghetto is a term for living in and enduring poverty.

This party should not have been on any radar unless anything illegal took place. It's not illegal to mock other people.

23qwerty

If you think the word 'ghetto' only applies to African America's you being at minimum disingenious, at worst, racist.

Literally no one is saying that, people are however saying that, given the context, that's what ghetto means here.

This party should not have been on any radar unless anything illegal took place. It's not illegal to mock other people.
Of course it's not illegal but a private institution is surely allowed to punish people within that institution for it.

Trojita

I've never heard of the extremely poor areas of the Appalachian mountains regarded as "The Ghetto".

I am guilty of not reading the link and traveling around the world and seeing people of all races usually using the term to define slum like areas. I am sorry I don't have the American term in mind when I hear that word. If you want to bitch and scoff at my comments scoff at them because I was ignorant towards reading the article not because I mainly experienced the word being defined for what it really is.

And in all your global travels you thought to yourself that those other generally economically disadvantaged and politically marginalized peoples would be totally cool with a gathering of wealthy elites putting on costumes and dressing down to their level for a laugh?

And that's two posters doubling down while admitting they didn't read the OP. At least you apologized for being that guy who travels the world and learns the truth of everything, or something.

And they are trying to make it out like im the bad guy because I see the word how it actually is defined and would pay no attention to ignorant people using it as a racially inaccurate insensitive ignorant term.

Fairfield U

I live in Bridgeport

been to that campus a few times overnight when I had an ex there. I'm black so was she.
I remember it as a chill place to hangout the education is pretty much Ivy League level.
it was a long time ago but still not cool news to hear about that school.

Nosgotham

I kinda had this terrible idea in my head for a quick second but it passed before it fully formed: let the party go on, but have somebody else crash it in a way that causes the attendees undue psychological and financial stress.

Edit: Wait, what if they somehow decide to have the party off-campus to get around this and somebody ends up finding a way to invite a shitload of black people over. I'm just spitballing.

Man red swirl, same red swirl from ign forum, always quoted on 1up yours??

And in all your global travels you thought to yourself that those other generally economically disadvantaged and politically marginalized peoples would be totally cool with a gathering of wealthy elites putting on costumes and dressing down to their level for a laugh?

And that's two posters doubling down while admitting they didn't read the OP.
Yes I didn't read the OP prior to posting crucify me. I read it now and I still will never associate the word with one particular race no matter what.

Fucking appalling that people take part in this shit, and that the bad press so many other parties of this type (including a racist MLK Day party at my own alma mater, which got a fairly substantial petition against it on Change.org) have gotten does not dissuade people from having them, if only to avoid the public shaming, at this point. Do people not do the most basic Googling of things?

Trojita

Apparently the people pointing out that this "Ghetto Party" is racist, are the REAL racists

And they are trying to make it out like im the bad guy because I see the word how it actually is defined and would pay no attention to ignorant people using it as a racially inaccurate insensitive ignorant term.

Ignoring it doesn't make you a better person.

I don't think it is. I don't have a certain race in my mind when I hear the word Ghetto
Rest assured, these students will most definitely have "certain races" and crude caricatures in mind for this party. Theyll appropriate black inner city culture for a fun, booze filled, blissfully ignorant evening, then go back to their sheltered and entitled existence the next morning because "everyone wanna be black but dont nobody wanna be a black"

Yes I didn't read the OP prior to posting crucify me. I read it now and I still will never associate the word with one particular race no matter what.

'No matter what,' even if in the case of the story in the OP they're actually in blackface.

You're not coming off as the more learned party here.

ShyMel

Even if ghetto was being used in this situation in another context, that doesn't make it any better. "Hey everybody, we should throw a party that mocks Holocaust victims and/or poor people!" Universities often have policies where they state that they want people from all backgrounds to feel welcomed and safe. There is no kind of ghetto party where the people who are being mocked will feel welcomed at a university where their classmates have such parties.

rrs

How much entitlement do you need to think that blackface is even slightly ok
Fucking appalling that people take part in this shit, and that the bad press so many other parties of this type (including a racist MLK Day party at my own alma mater, which got a fairly substantial petition against it on Change.org) have gotten does not dissuade people from having them, if only to avoid the public shaming, at this point. Do people not do the most basic Googling of things?
doubtful, sadly

SeanC

Are there pics?

I want as much shame as possible to come down on everyone involved.

University parties, especially thrown by Greek society (I know that's not confirmed yet, but it wouldn't surprise me), do shit like this quite a lot. Pretty gross.

When will this forum ever prove me wrong in these? It's sad that this shit happens every time. When we celebrate the achievements of black folks and those who helped paved the way to make race relations just a little bit better we get just a few responses of approval, but when we call out racist shit, pages fill and there are long arguments defending the shit. That's why I stay out of them most of the time and will not be coming back in a while if at all.

Dabanton

The frequency that this happens on US campuses is quite frankly disturbing as is the usual impotent excuses that usually handwave any offence away as being the 'PC police' spoiling some usually privileged white kids right to be an insensitive twat.

I'm all for parties but when I hear the word 'ghetto' used as a theme, I'm not expecting guys and girls not being massive fuckwits. We unfortunately know what they will be referencing.

The frequency that this happens on US campuses is quite frankly disturbing as is the usual impotent excuses that usually handwave any offence away as being the 'PC police' spoiling some usually privileged white kids right to be an insensitive twat.

I'm all for parties but when I hear the word 'ghetto' used as a theme, I'm not expecting guys and girls not being massive fuckwits. We unfortunately know what they will be referencing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with comedy making light of serious issues, but anytime you hear of a party of this, you just know that it's going to be a bunch of dipshits dressing up as racist stereotypes, not genuine humor. It's not even "shock" funny - and I can appreciate offensive humor that is well-crafted or clever - given how obvious and trite the jokes are.

Kids with limited exposure to minorities but maximum exposure to inner city culture from rap music and Worldstar want to act out a fantasy lifestyle for a couple hours (usually through racist caricatures), then go back to their comfy lifestyle the next morning.

I'm trying to figure out if these dopes who have these parties do so ignorant of previous efforts, like they think they have come up with a funny new idea, or if they are aware, but think they will somehow not get negative attention.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
it doesn't mock another race it mocks a caricature of another race....christ kid you're in college? Why are you so mad about that kind of party if you buy into their shit yourself?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YpufzJNrZ2Y

South Park did it in the late 90s and I can't remember there being any anger towards them about it.
0VhvbuF.gif

It's almost like the show goes out of it's way to show how much of a piece of shit Cartman is. Almost as if he's a perfect example of what kind of person people shouldn't be. You know, the most hated character in the show.

Rembrandt

Banned
Why does the university give a fuck about something that happened without being sanctioned by the university again? I get cracking down if things occur at a university-sanctioned event, but if people derp on their own time/wherewithal, what makes it the faculty's business?

same reason why if you spew racist shit and act like a piece of shit outside of your job, if your job finds out, they could and probably will fire you. you're a representation of the type of people they have at the school.

Obviously I see color, I also have stereotypes in my head of all races like humans tend to do, but growing up in the northern Midwest ghetto has nothing to do with being black or any other race, it's a matter of circumstance.

I will admit that I didn't read the articles so if they were in black face or whatever, yeah that's super fucked up. But my criticism applies to the people who think ghetto = black or any other race.

lmao, that's a damn lie.

0VhvbuF.gif

It's almost like the show goes out of it's way to show how much of a piece of shit Cartman is. Almost as if he's a perfect example of what kind of person people shouldn't be. You know, the most hated character in the show.
South Park has become this interesting way of learning how many people don't get context at all. They think South Park did something in the past without people caring, when it's that people don't care because the story was clearly telling you when Cartman or any other character was being awful.

To a disturbing amount of people, situations really are just as simple as "they said/did this, why can't I" when the behavior and presentation are completely different.

For some reason reminds me of this from reddit
https://m.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/3r7oeh/i_am_bisfitty_the_period_appropriate_corporate/

Basically an office had a get together for the staff in a southern Plantation and asked people to dress up appropriately. They forgot they had a black employee and he made sure to make them as uncomfortable as possible for their idiotic idea.

Edit: whoops on mobile that's the AMA by the guy. Post links to the thread itself, can't do it myself as it won't load on mobile for some reason.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
South Park has become this interesting way of learning how many people don't get context at all. They think South Park did something in the past without people caring, when it's that people don't care because the story was clearly telling you when Cartman or any other character was being awful.

To a disturbing amount of people, situations really are just as simple as "they said/did this, why can't I" when the behavior and presentation are completely different.
Exactly, it's seriously baffling.

Come on white people, you have to ACT white while you're partying! Drink martinis! Eat tapas! Play Apples to Apples! Listen to Nickelback! None of this "ghetto-themed" malarkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom