• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Game Awards - GAF: "I disagree!"

tenchir

I assumed it was readers vote since they do that often, heh.

Keep in mind that those 65 editors don't actually played every single game released...... do they?

Gattsu25

Banned
Does it even matter? If you where told to list your favorite games in each category, would you decline because you haven't played every game? Unrealistic.

Gattsu25 said:
Aside from the very basis of his theory? Ingeneral, yes, but in regards to these 'awards'?
sarcasm.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Except they basically cover and give attention to games in just about the same ratio that tenchir listed. Flip through Famitsu on any given week, and that's the way it works most of the time. You have to remember that the Famitsu editors ARE in fact Japanese gamers themselves. Some weeks they'll give more attention to the Xbox if something big goes down, but otherwise, they pretty much report on DoA and maybe a couple other games very briefly.

Like I said, just because it's not from the readers doesn't mean that it isn't pretty damn close to the way the readers would vote. If I had to hazard a guess, if readers had voted for the list, it would be quite similar, but Winning Eleven would rank a bit higher and you would see FF X-2 appear on more of the lists. Otherwise, it would be pretty damn similar.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, if "one of the best games this gen" consists of stiff control, buggy physics, underpowered graphics, frustrating missions that seem to be more chance than skill, crappy aim (I guess this ties in with bad controls), and wretched 80's music... GTA3 was innovative, yes, but it had a lot of kinks that needed to be worked out (at least I got a trance and a drum & bass station in GTA3 - here's hoping for a retro house/techno/eurodance station in SA)... Vice City didn't even fix those kinks, it had an even less interesting story, and of course I can't stand the music... VC should have refined GTA3's mechanics, then we would've had a fantastic game.

tenchir

Gattsu25 said:
Does it even matter? If you where told to list your favorite games in each category, would you decline because you haven't played every game? Unrealistic.

I agree with MetaTronM. You are assuming that a lot of editors played the games you like(Ninja Gaiden for example). They are told they have 20 points and can vote on up to five of their favorite titles. Do you put all 20 points in one on two titles? Or spread it around? Do you put all 20 points in a single category only or in a single category of a game? Would it be fair to say that one of them could have put 10 points in Pikmin 2's gameplay and 7 points in Ninja Gaiden's graphic, because he liked the gameplay of Pikmin 2 more than the Graphics of Ninja Gaiden?

Pimpbaa

djtiesto said:
Yeah, if "one of the best games this gen" consists of stiff control, buggy physics, underpowered graphics, frustrating missions that seem to be more chance than skill, crappy aim (I guess this ties in with bad controls), and wretched 80's music... GTA3 was innovative, yes, but it had a lot of kinks that needed to be worked out (at least I got a trance and a drum & bass station in GTA3 - here's hoping for a retro house/techno/eurodance station in SA)... Vice City didn't even fix those kinks, it had an even less interesting story, and of course I can't stand the music... VC should have refined GTA3's mechanics, then we would've had a fantastic game.

It was refined, the story was better, and the missions were considerably better. You must have been playing a different game than me or anyone else who enjoyed it. The only thing I can think of that was worse in vice city was perhaps the city was a little less interesting.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pimpbaa said:
It was refined, the story was better, and the missions were considerably better. You must have been playing a different game than me or anyone else who enjoyed it. The only thing I can think of that was worse in vice city was perhaps the city was a little less interesting.

Oh, that's another thing I didn't like about it... Maybe I'm biased because I live near NY, but I much prefer the NY-style Liberty City to Miami... I hated some of the missions, like using the toy copter to destroy the building, or getting Lance out of the junkyard. But that's just me.

Gattsu25

Banned
tenchir said:
I agree with MetaTronM. You are assuming that a lot of editors played the games you like(Ninja Gaiden for example). They are told they have 20 points and can vote on up to five of their favorite titles. Do you put all 20 points in one on two titles? Or spread it around? Do you put all 20 points in a single category only or in a single category of a game? Would it be fair to say that one of them could have put 10 points in Pikmin 2's gameplay and 7 points in Ninja Gaiden's graphic, because he liked the gameplay of Pikmin 2 more than the Graphics of Ninja Gaiden?

So basically you are saying that a list of people's opinions are affected by what they experience? If that is your point, then why in the bloody hell did you even feel the need to mention it?

tenchir

Gattsu25 said:
So basically you are saying that a list of people's opinions are affected by what they experience? If that is your point, then why in the bloody hell did you even feel the need to mention it?

Because it seems a lot of people here obviously don't agree with the ranking, I merely tried to give an explanation on why it is like that.

ZombieSupaStar said:
dude its japan...... they like play with cell phones more than games now.....dude.....

I love how some people actually think this way. If I had the same awesome cell phone games here as they do there, I would be playing them too. Perhaps it shows how bad the gaming scene in Japan is that they have to both resort to cell phone gaming and embracing an American game (GTA: VC).

I also can't understand the Vice City love. Proves my theory that if you put 80's music into ANYTHING, people will buy it.

As for all Monster Hunter hate... hey guys, play the game yet? It looks good to me, and is the first MMORPG that I actually want to play.

Top Bottom