• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Most Wanted Games

Why exactly would Prologue hurt GT4? It's an incomplete version of the game that was likely bought by the most hardcore of fans anyway, the ones that are going to buy the game no matter what. With how successful this series has been, it's amazing that people always doubt it. It's the same case with GTA now.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:
Why exactly would Prologue hurt GT4? It's an incomplete version of the game that was likely bought by the most hardcore of fans anyway, the ones that are going to buy the game no matter what.

There's also the possibility of people feeling that it offers enough that they won't be needing the final game. Or, there are people who didn't like the game, so will be staying away from the final game.

jiggle

jarrod said:

You're assuming the worst case scenario for the game. Call me an optimist, but I won't and can't believe that a brand new Final Fantasy won't even break 2million and above in Japan. We'll see come release time. But lemme bookmark this page=p

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
As for GT4, anyone have a feeling the Prologue game hurt potential sales of the final edition?
Probably not, though really I don't see much to help push GT4 past that 1.5M barrier. The market's worse than ever, online play doesn't seem to count for much in Japan (see FFXI, MiNGo Online, etc), and it missing the launch era/new generation wow/hype that really pushed GT3. Almost every franchise seems to be taking a hit this generation in Japan, I don't think GT4 will miraculously buck the trend.

cvxfreak

jiggle said:
You're assuming the worst case scenario for the game. Call me an optimist, but I won't and can't believe that a brand new Final Fantasy won't even break 2million and above in Japan. We'll see come release time. But lemme bookmark this page=p

I think it'll break 2 Million, but I can't see it breaking 3 Million, or beating FFX + versions either.

jarrod

Banned
jiggle said:
I actually think FFXII has a good shot at breaking 2M, though something a little lower is hardly the worst case scenario either... that be more along the lines of FFXI. :p

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I think it'll break 2 Million, but I can't see it breaking 3 Million, or beating FFX + versions either.
Agreed... if I had to throw out guesses for some of these games...

-Dragon Quest VIII (3.2M)
-Final Fantasy XII (2.1M)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater (700k)
-Tales of Rebirth (600k)
-Biohazard 4 (400k)
-Kingdom Hearts 2 (900k)
-Gran Turismo 4 (1.5M)
-Mother 3 (600k)
-Sakura Taisen V: Saraba Aishiki Hito-yo (350k)
-Tales of Symphonia (250k)
-Sengoku Musô : Môshôden (300k)
-Devil May Cry 3 (350k)
-Pokemon Emerald (1.8M)
-Mario Tennis (150k)
-Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki (200k)
-Shining Tears (75k)
-Killer 7 (75k combined)
-Ace Combat 5 (300k)

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
With how successful this series has been, it's amazing that people always doubt it. It's the same case with GTA now.
Comparing GTA in the west to GT in Japan is laughable. Not even the same league brand wise, GT isn't invincable... having doubts about a high profile game in a troubled declining market is hardly as amazing as the blind faith you throw behind this product.

It's not blind faith. I'm going by it's past numbers. They indicate that it shouldn't have any problem selling atleast 1.5 million (which you even seem to agree with going by your sales prediction). I'm not saying it's going to blow that number away, just that it's going to get there.

The GTA comparison was simply based on its popularity. GT has maintained a level of popularity, yet with each version people doubt it.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not blind faith. I'm going by it's past numbers. They indicate that it shouldn't have any problem selling atleast 1.5 million (which you even seem to agree with going by your sales prediction). I'm not saying it's going to blow that number away, just that it's going to get there.
Well then, we're actually in agreement. I still doubt GT4 outsells Emerald though, only DQVIII & FFXII can manage that at this point imo.

SolidSnakex said:
The GTA comparison was simply based on its popularity. GT has maintained a level of popularity, yet with each version people doubt it.
But this is a declining market, unlike where GTA has managed it's phenominal success (which is way beyond GT in any region outside Europe). Looking at past iterations is a little misleading in that sense, and GT4 is missing the timing/hype advantages GT3 enjoyed and that game still only managed to equal it's predecessor. There's plenty of reasonable factors for "doubt" here...

Top Bottom