• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

BraXzy

Quick question, I just added the game to steam library for ease of use, is there a way to make Uplay auto run the game without the need to do anything?

Kinda defeats the point adding it in steam just for it to open uplay anyway :/

legacyzero

Banned
Quick question, I just added the game to steam library for ease of use, is there a way to make Uplay auto run the game without the need to do anything?

Kinda defeats the point adding it in steam just for it to open uplay anyway :/
Even the Steam version opens it up in Uplay. It's redundant.

How's the six single player mission DLC pack for 800 pts on 360? Worth it? Craving for some more FC3...
$10 is probably too much but I enjoyed it, Hurk is a really funny character and the missions were solid. I didn't really use the extra weapons it came with though. Also supposedly there are new animals but I never saw any of them.

If you're dying for new content I say go for it.

Dead

well not really...yet
$10 is probably too much but I enjoyed it, Hurk is a really funny character and the missions were solid. I didn't really use the extra weapons it came with though. Also supposedly there are new animals but I never saw any of them.

If you're dying for new content I say go for it.
aw fuck me.

I was debating buying it yesterday as I was playing the game, and saw that it was 400 points. I just assumed that was the regular price. :(

Merguson

Banned
I beat this game a couple of weeks ago.

Didn't really leave me with a good impression. It started off good but eventually the appeal worn off.

The story didn't do anything for me.

The "side-quests" were completely boring. Just the same shit over and over again.

Once I started ignoring the story, there wasn't much to keep me entertained when you're essentially doing the same things repeatedly. Clear outposts... kill the certain person with a knife.. yeah there's different ways to tackle those but eventually that tires out... and the collectibles... just.. not my thing..

Dakota47

Bought the game in the Steam sale. Liking it a lot so far. I need me some pigs though, I need a bigger wallet. And I'm probably just gonna fuck around for a bit first. The story is enjoyable but the open world seems more interesting at the moment.

Bought the game in the Steam sale. Liking it a lot so far. I need me some pigs though, I need a bigger wallet. And I'm probably just gonna fuck around for a bit first. The story is enjoyable but the open world seems more interesting at the moment.

Yes definetely get a bigger wallet. Don't forget ot get the weapon slot upgrades as well.

M.D

Are certain areas completely locked out after finishing a mission? I just finished the mission
Down in the Docks
, and I couldn't find the relic and lost letter

Could I go back to that area and find them?

Dead Man

Are certain areas completely locked out after finishing a mission? I just finished the mission
Down in the Docks
, and I couldn't find the relic and lost letter

Could I go back to that area and find them?

The only relic I couldn't get to after a mission was on Vaas' island, in one of the buildings there. You should be able to go back and get it, especially for a lost letter.

CatPee

Anyone else playing with Ziggy's Mod on PC? It's easily made the entire game significantly more enjoyable to me with the added challenge.

icespide

Banned
started playing this on 360 this weekend. am I crazy or does the audio sound horrible and compressed? it's like listening to a 128kb MP3 in 5.1

Been playing this on 360 for a week and loving it. Audio sounds great to me 5.1 set up).

While I'm here, can anyone give me some advice on how to find bears? I've scoured the internet and all I can find is some very vague information.

I've been searching for ages with no luck. So frustrating.

Danneee

Bought this today and it really nails the feeling of being on an island surrounded by murderous lunatics. Frame rate wise it's kind of bad but growing up as a PC games, poor and a graphics whore have made me impervious to framerates in the 20s :)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Why does my framerate half in cutscenes (PC)? :( Just started playing this recently. Pretty smooth in gameplay, then cutscenes start and it gets ridiculous sometimes.

Been playing this on 360 for a week and loving it. Audio sounds great to me 5.1 set up).

While I'm here, can anyone give me some advice on how to find bears? I've scoured the internet and all I can find is some very vague information.

I've been searching for ages with no luck. So frustrating.

Open your map. Go to where a bears icon is. Walk around until you get mauled to death.

Fantasmo

This game is amazing. Breathtaking even! 60fps Ultra settings, 2x MSAA, 42" 720p, 5.1, and a meaty quest with a huge world. I'm several hours in, mostly upgrading my carring ability, hunting, outposts, and got past the mushroom quest. This is a real surprise. I'm in heaven!

Just finished this game. Didn't expect much since Far Cry 2 did nothing but irritate the hell out of me.

Wow. One of my favorite games this gen. Found the story interesting, despite you and your friends being a bunch of douchebags. The driving is great, gunplay is great. Everything was great

Dries

So yeah, just played the mission where you're
instructed to burn the weed fields by that crazy CIA guy
and I'm already feeling fatuiged by the game. At this point, I believe that I've already seen everything the game has to offer. The exploration is great, but the whole island looks the same. The gunplay is great and stealth actually works, but every enemy checkpoint is the same. Every radio tower is the same. Every side mission is the same. Every cave you find is the same. The story is also very uninteresting, which also does't help me wanting to pursue the main story. Too bad, cause the game is really great, but somehow it's just not a good "game" imho if I lose interest after 15-20 hours.

Anyone else feel the same?

Dead Man

and I'm already feeling fatuiged by the game. At this point, I believe that I've already seen everything the game has to offer. The exploration is great, but the whole island looks the same. The gunplay is great and stealth actually works, but every enemy checkpoint is the same. Every radio tower is the same. Every side mission is the same. Every cave you find is the same. The story is also very uninteresting, which also does't help me wanting to pursue the main story. Too bad, cause the game is really great, but somehow it's just not a good "game" imho if I lose interest after 15-20 hours.

South island is a bit different, and there is some variety in the main missions, just skip the side stuff, it is pretty repetitive.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Damn I feel like rage uninstalling this game after spending the last half an hour in that piece of shit
ink monster fight. Super tedious but easy first phase, then some random enemies I can't see and who come too fast for my bow. Every time I die I have to rewatch that godawful intro and grind through the tedious mask shooting.

Do I miss much if I just call it quits here?

Rikyfree

Damn I feel like rage uninstalling this game after spending the last half an hour in that piece of shit
ink monster fight. Super tedious but easy first phase, then some random enemies I can't see and who come too fast for my bow. Every time I die I have to rewatch that godawful intro and grind through the tedious mask shooting.

Do I miss much if I just call it quits here?

????

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't remember, but I think that's almost at the end...? Would you install it again though?

The "giant" from the ceremony.

Glad I didn't uninstall, gave it another go today and nailed it on the first go.

After that I discovered that the game has a Skills screen. Never opened it earlier so I had something like 27 skill points that let me do all kinds of cool shit like take half less fire damage, heal faster and have three bars more energy.

Rufus

OK, that sounds bonkers. BUT outside of the frustrating episode with the giant it probably means you played a better game, to be honest. You become overpowered quickly if you take advantage of all the health boosts and such.

spekkeh

Banned

Yeah. Game feels like it rolled off the Ubisoft conveyor belt. Like they started off with a checklist of features, and then the different teams went about implementing the features. Stick everything together, send it to the presses, grab a beer.

There's a piece of gear you get on the second island that makes traversal a bit more fun, but apart from that if you've played the game for 10 hours, you've played everything there's to it, and the story's not worth it at all.

Chittagong

Gold Member
OK, that sounds bonkers. BUT outside of the frustrating episode with the giant it probably means you played a better game, to be honest. You become overpowered quickly if you take advantage of all the health boosts and such.

Finished the game. Glad I stuck to it, the latter half after that idiotic fight is so much better. It reminded me of why I enjoyed the previous Far Crys so much. The action got really intense and fun, finally I had to use some strategy to breach areas and take down enemy troops. Kinda crazy how they made such a slow start to the game.

Now off to capture the last towers and villages.

I've read that when you choose to download this game off steam you can select whether or not you want to download the map editor which is apparently 12gb, and the actual game is something like 8gb. Is this true?. I don't want to waste 12gb on the map editor and would rather just download the game.

Another thing: Has the latest patches fixed many of the issues, such as dx11 performance?

I'm looking to play this on max settings on a i7 3700k, gtx 670 at 1080p. How will I fare?

Thanks.

Edit: Just realised this uses uplay. Think I will pass now.

Raptomex

I've read that when you choose to download this game off steam you can select whether or not you want to download the map editor which is apparently 12gb, and the actual game is something like 8gb. Is this true?. I don't want to waste 12gb on the map editor and would rather just download the game.

Another thing: Has the latest patches fixed many of the issues, such as dx11 performance?

I'm looking to play this on max settings on a i7 3700k, gtx 670 at 1080p. How will I fare?

Thanks.

Edit: Just realised this uses uplay. Think I will pass now.
I got the game when it came out, beat it, uninstalled it, and just reinstalled it last night. It did not ask me to install the map editor separately and I have no idea about the patches yet. With those specs you should be fine.

Lakitu

st5fu
Got the game, can't say I'm enjoying it. Besides some improvements (like outposts), I feel like I prefer Far Cry 2. Saying that, I'm still early on and I probably haven't scratched the surface. Just feel like the environment is pretty dull and fighting the same groups of enemies over and over isn't that fun. But freedom of combat still remains and is better than ever. Got to say.

Still, I'm frustrated right now, I can't seem find boar anywhere and I need one boar skin to craft an ammo pelt? It's really annoying not being able carry much ammo. Where can I find them? They don't appear on my map yet, but I've only unlocked two radio towers (the first one and the one near the Dr's house). Any ideas?

Scapegoat

Got the game, can't say I'm enjoying it. Besides some improvements (like outposts), I feel like I prefer Far Cry 2. Saying that, I'm still early on and I probably haven't scratched the surface. Just feel like the environment is pretty dull and fighting the same groups of enemies over and over isn't that fun. But freedom of combat still remains and is better than ever. Got to say.

Still, I'm frustrated right now, I can't seem find boar anywhere and I need one boar skin to craft an ammo pelt? It's really annoying not being able carry much ammo. Where can I find them? They don't appear on my map yet, but I've only unlocked two radio towers (the first one and the one near the Dr's house). Any ideas?
Animal locations are marked on your map. Zoom in all the way to see them. It may be that you need to climb a couple more towers.

Lakitu

st5fu
Animal locations are marked on your map. Zoom in all the way to see them. It may be that you need to climb a couple more towers.

Thanks, haven't found any yet. I guess I'll have to unlock more radio towers. Still, you'd think there would be a couple of boars available earlier in the game due to you needing to upgrade your ammo pouch.

I run out of ammo so damn quick.

Andrew.

Banned
Im gonna pick this up again today for PS3 and plat it. I just need someone to play with me for the co op missions. Hit me up on PSN, the name is TestSubject15.

Raptomex

So how do you guys choose which skills to upgrade? The way I see it, there is a stealth tree, an in-between tree, and a "rambo" tree. Do you guys focus on one skill tree or kind of pick up which ones you want in whatever tree?
I would go for the healing ones first. Just because.
Eventually you won't need to craft medicine

methane47

Beat this game last night. And I came away with such a nice experience. Although it dragged on a bit with the CIA missions.. Game was great. the giant CITA monster was great... absolutely enjoyed the fight and the atmosphere. The story was well done... and the choice at the end was unexpected.

All in all, great experience.
I got all the radio towers
most of the skills except 2 or 3.
most of the upgrades
half of the findable crap
half of the outposts

and I enjoyed it all. (I didn't play for a couple weeks because i was stuck on League of legends though)

GusG

Neo Member
Was waiting for a steam sale and picked this up. Installed the swartz mod and I'm really enjoying it. The gun models and animations are really nice.

Taking my time with it, but having a blast so far.

Hunting for pelts and plants hasn't felt so good since RDR.

TTG

Why didn't anyone tell me they've added an option to reset outposts all of a sudden? Loaded this back up for that reason, fun. Tried a couple of different load outs, mines and melee or bow. I started off where the story stuff begins so the outposts aren't so heavily populated yet, I can't wait until I can bait helicopters to show up as reinforcements again.

This is only rivaled by XCOM as 2012 GOTY, so good. Also, I'm using the wing suit EVERYHWHERE. If I can get more than 10 feet between me and the ground, wing suit is deployed. Escaping from big cats via wing suit is the best.

I bought this game last year for 360 and got bored during the
FBI-Missions...or was it CIA?
= I sold it.
Now I might buy it again for PS3. I don't know why ^^

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just pcked this up yesterday from EB Au. They had 60% off their marked price so figured I would snap it up even though FC2 left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Have done the first hunting mission for a few leaves and boar skins, then focused on getting a new holster for my newly purchased bow (came straight off The Last of Us so in the stealth mood).

What's the best way totackle this game, folloe the story or try and craft a few items like larger backpack, larger quiver etc while just generally exploring? I can see what I need for skins but there is no legend on the map for me to tell some of the animals from others.

Top Bottom