• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry = KILLED

Rhindle

*gulp*

24974.jpg

24975.jpg

24976.jpg

24977.jpg

24978.jpg

24979.jpg

24980.jpg

24981.jpg

Whew... For a minute you had me going there. My pc can't possibly run this game decently,I thought you were going to say that the Xbox version was cancelled.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
In terms of what exactly Rhindle? Vegetation variation? I assume you've never played Far Cry on its highest settings I take it? This does look good but let's not go overboard, the characters however.......

aww man, i enjoyed playing far cry too

i guess i'll have to throw my copy away now that screenshots from an unreleased game which exemplify a slightly superior foliage engine have been revealed

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Error Macro said:
There's no way that's running on actual Xbox hardware.
true enough, especially since it's clear (see hud and logo) that the screens have been resized to 640x480 from a much bigger resolution.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Li Mu Bai said:
All XBW grabs are doctored, it doesn't appear to be software that can't run on the Box at 30fps, with drops.
I would not call that "doctored", they just resize everything to 640x480

eso76

Going by these pics it could easily run on xbox hardware: Argentina's forest in RSC2 is definately not worse than this.

Looks good, but all we see here is relatively narrow rock corridors with limited draw distance; it's a far cry from Far Cry's incredible draw distance and huge open areas.
Which is what makes Crytek's game impressive : it's not the amount of trees and blades of grass surrounding you, it's the way the engine handles and draws everything in a several miles range.

tenchir

thorns said:
It only says PC CD-ROM on the web page so big thumbs down to Xboxworld for fake pics/news.

Heh, they also tried to pass off the PC version of Splinter Cell 3 as the XBOX version.

epmode

so then what is it? a pc port of the xbox version?

i haven't finished it yet, so i don't know if this bridge is in the game.

Mareg

Anyway, if you read the last EGM, they saw the game running and said it needed immediate attention from Ubi. They said the game was really not feeling like Far Cry anymore.

Gattsu25

Banned
The Bookerman said:
Does it have a 1km draw distance?

No?

I rest my case.

Farcry still owns.

1.6km, no?

and yeah...Far Cry looks better IMO...just look at the lighting and everything but the foliage

I don't get why it's even being discussed wether these screens are doctored (except for the obvious removal of aliasing through downscaling hi-res framegrabs), this doesn't look special to me... It doesn't touch MGS3 so why couldn't it be running on the XBox?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybercrash said:
I don't get why it's even being discussed wether these screens are doctored (except for the obvious removal of aliasing through downscaling hi-res framegrabs), this doesn't look special to me... It doesn't touch MGS3 so why couldn't it be running on the XBox?

From an artistic POV, you are right, this doesn't touch MGS3. However, it clearly stands ahead of MGS3 from a technology standpoint.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Nice shots but Far Cry is still graphically superior from these meager screens that were released.

I'd definitely would be impressed if this were Xbox and so far there doesn't seem to be anything graphically that would imply that it can't be done.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
dark10x said:
From an artistic POV, you are right, this doesn't touch MGS3. However, it clearly stands ahead of MGS3 from a technology standpoint.

I agree with you dark environmentally speaking, except regarding the character models used in this game & the water looks inferior to MGS3's IMO.

dark10x

Shompola said:
artistically it doesn't touch MGS3? what is so special about the forest in MGS3 that is'n't present here?

It isn't just about the forest, though...

The overall look is just so incredibly beautiful to behold and should easily crush whatever this game is in terms of artistic merit.

914828_20040511_screen005.jpg

914828_20040511_screen002.jpg

914828_20040511_screen004.jpg

914828_20040511_screen006.jpg

914828_20040511_screen001.jpg

Phoenix

tenchir said:
Heh, they also tried to pass off the PC version of Splinter Cell 3 as the XBOX version.

Yeah, the credibility of xboxworld.nl is about zero for me right now. I haven't seen a screen cap from them yet that actually looks like it came from an XBox!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
if only Konami was making MGS3 on the Far Cry Engine.....
God no... Far Cry is slightly less generic/fugly than this, but still, hell no...

If you want to see how a Far Cry -like engine looks on PS2 play first level of Transformers. Would you trade that kind of graphics for that of MGS3? I know I wouldn't.

Gattsu25

Banned
Marconelly said:
God no... Far Cry is slightly less generic/fugly than this, but still, hell

Far Cry's environments are generic? or even slightly fugly? I'm sorry but I just don't see it...before Far Cry, I'm at a loss when it comes to giant island sized levels filled with white sands, clear water, blue skies, and metric tons of grass and greens being anything near the norm in FPS games...as for it being fugly, only if you ignore it's levels and just concentrate on it's robotic inhabitants

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I might have misunderstood the post. The engine tiself in Far Cry is actually very good, it's just that I don't think it's used particulary well beyond showcasing the engine. That goes even more for this game, where everything looks very complex but also flat at the same time.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Why are you showcasing the second game Rhindle? Aside from the complex geometry of uninhabited building render, it's not at all impressive. Certainly not anything the GC/PS2 couldn't pull off IMO. And stop using XBW for your screen captures.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Marconelly said:
God no... Far Cry is slightly less generic/fugly than this, but still, hell no...

If you want to see how a Far Cry -like engine looks on PS2 play first level of Transformers. Would you trade that kind of graphics for that of MGS3? I know I wouldn't.
It's whoever that uses the engine that matters not the engine itself. It's just an enabler to allow you to create the imagry within it's technical confines.

lordmrw

Rhindle said:

I like this shot the most. Looks a little too real. The environments look damn good, its when you see people and physical objects that the illusion is destroyed.

dark10x

TekunoRobby said:
It's whoever that uses the engine that matters not the engine itself. It's just an enabler to allow you to create the imagry within it's technical confines.

I wouldn't say that...

A lot of games used the Quake engine, for example, and all of them fell within the constraints OF that engine. There are limitations present in all engines, and some of those limitations aren't exactly easy to work around. MGS3 is doing a LOT of the things that CryTek was likely NEVER designed to do. At the VERY least (ignoring the gameplay difficulties), do you REALLY think CryTek could handle a convincing cinematic display as we see with MGS2 and 3? I really don't...

The engine isn't designed for an MGS style game and any attempt at making one work would reveal the roots of the engine. KCEJ writes their graphics/game engines SPECIFICALLY for the type of game they are making...and that is, IMO, the best way to go about it.

DSN2K

Marconelly said:

the tech not the style ;)

eso76

lordmrw said:
I like this shot the most. Looks a little too real. The environments look damn good, its when you see people and physical objects that the illusion is destroyed.

Actually there's something really good about the second batch of screens.
The lightning, both in and outdoors has to be the most realistic i've ever seen, especially in those first 3 pictures.
I don't buy it though, these must be renders of ingame scenes with some kind of simple radiosity turned on; it's obvious from the way those walls are lit that this is not a simple 1, 3...7 points lightning setup.

Btw, the 'green' that they (and almost all western developers) are using is terrible.

Gattsu25

Banned
eso76 said:
Actually there's something really good about the second batch of screens.
The lightning, both in and outdoors has to be the most realistic i've ever seen, especially in those first 3 pictures.
I don't buy it though

That's because the first 3 pictures are not in-game...just look at the last 3 to see what in-game looks like

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I look forward to seeing what this game is capable of, but to call it a 'Far Cry killer' based upon some very strategically placed screenshots of an incomplete game...I think not.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
dark10x said:
Eh... aside from some bump mapped water it just seems to push a lot of polys. MGS3 has fancier post-rendering filters and projective texturing to simulate light passing through the trees. It may very well be more advanced but I don't think you can declare a winner between those two games just looking at screenshots.

dark10x

cybamerc said:
Eh... aside from some bump mapped water it just seems to push a lot of polys. MGS3 has fancier post-rendering filters and projective texturing to simulate light passing through the trees. It may very well be more advanced but I don't think you can declare a winner between those two games just looking at screenshots.

I suppose you are right...I kinda jumped the gun on the assumption that this game could stand up to Far Cry from a tech standpoint. However, those later shots are unimpressive...

eso76

Actually that shot from mgs3 with snake dressed up like an alligator stomps all over el matador forest BOTH technically and artistically. Those trees are gorgeous.
That has to be the most beautiful forest i've ever seen.

Top Bottom