• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fed approves GMO mosquitos to fight Zika carrying ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

obin_gam

Yep, my home state of Queensland, Australia is infested with cane toads as a result of one of these"use one animal to wipe out another" plans.

The mosquito one makes a lot more sense though to be fair.

tumblr_mu0so75Vzw1somw7ho1_500.png

lol i have a Monsanto ad at the bottom of the page

also this is how you erradicate the mosquto population, and its already extremely effective

its too bad its going to be a public vote, probably going to be voted down because of the gmo scare

So you're fine with letting Zika control our population if it gets out of hand instead?
I hope it works out but we have a history of these methods creating additional problems. I think it could be there are issues of developing a vaccine being too cost prohibitive and untimely, as I've read. Research shackled with financial restraints and conditions. So this could be the interim solution. If the proposal is approved, let's hope for the best.

Noobcraft

For those unclear, what's different about these mosquitoes is that they're genetically engineered to create unviable offspring (incapable of reproducing). They don't have any sort of toxin passable to other animals or anything.

I hope it works out but we have a history of these methods creating additional problems. I think it could be there are issues of developing a vaccine being too cost prohibitive and untimely, as I've read. Research shackled with financial restraints and conditions. So this could be the interim solution. If the proposal is approved, let's hope for the best.

Youre conflating the idea of sending out preditors to take care of invasive species with this.

All we are doing is sending out a modified mosquito that will simply cause population crashes due to infertility. There isnt some insane plot twist that will come out of this, all that is going to happen is the mosquitos will die because of modifed DNA. If the anti GMO people actually read shit they should be in favor if this method because it reduces the need and use if pesticides.

Kyuur

I could've sworn this had already been done with some other disease like Malaria, but maybe it wasn't approved before. Good anyways.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Aedes aegypti also spread yellow fever, dengue fever and chikungunya.

It's way more effective and cheaper than spraying and having task forces to control standing water and other mosquito mitigation.

The field tests have shown its effectiveness and other countries are also going to adopt this method.

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes: What Could Possibly Go Wrong

“The public fears genetic engineering. Nearly all politicians don’t understand it,” said Arthur Caplan, the founding director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU School of Medicine. “I don’t think the issue is economic. It is ignorance, distrust, fear of the unknown, fear of prior efforts to use biology to combat pests which went sour.”

“Chemical spray may be familiar, but it is a blunderbuss,” Caplan added. “Old technology [is] hard to aim, often misfires, and is hard to maintain. Genetic engineering of nasty insect-pests is a rifle—very precise, low risk to the user.

Madness

Whatever science can do to battle the scourge that is the mosquito, I'm all for it. They can all die.

Mosquitos are probably responsible for and have cultivated and shaped earth history far more than humans have. Think of how many viruses or bacteria they have transmitted. How many species they've killed off while others have thrived and evolved. They are an element of our ecological world. They regulate even as inhumane as it sounds. But whatever. Nothing we do is natural these days.

Love it when we release an animal into the wild to reduce/control the population of another. Wait, no I don't.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're extremely ignorant and uninformed. And the problem isn't even that you aren't a biologist. Basic reading comprehension and a little bit of logic could let you see the difference.

This is not the same as sending in an invasive species. Do you know why invasive species are a problem? Because they have no natural predator in the ecosystem they are introduced to. They breed and breed and breed with nothing stopping them, and they choke out the native species which actually have predators.

This is different. These mosquitoes will attract females, but they are guaranteed to be infertile. The females mate with these males, and either won't produce offspring, or produce offspring that die before they can even fully develop.

So when these things aren't producing offspring, please explain to me how it is going to be similar to Australia introducing rabbits, or Georgia introducing Kudzu.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've read several articles pointing out that mosquitoes aren't a significant part of the food chain and that even bats would adapt within a generation. If so, byebitch.com

KingBroly

Banned
I've read several articles pointing out that mosquitoes aren't a significant part of the food chain and that even bats would adapt within a generation. If so, byebitch.com

They'll change into something more terrifying. It's how this stuff usually works out.

XOMTOR

Zika infected mosquitoes are attacking our offspring, only fitting we turn the tables and attack theirs. Payback's a bitch bitches.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
From what I've heard before, doing this is very successful and has no negative impacts on the environment.

Eradication of mosquitoes would probably be an ok thing for the world.

They don't seem to serve any ecological benefit like bees or other insects do, and just cause a lot of problems.

Like what is some other bug or amphibian getting from a mosquito that it can't just get from a fly or a beetle. Its just a tiny little flying bit or protein.

appifiying-wordpress-practical-tips-for-using-wordpress-as-a10286951_lrg.jpg

(I'm actually okay with this)

Inappropriate use of this reference.

Malcolm's point is the lack of a good reason to create dinosaurs. He is condemning what he sees as a selfish act to satisfy one's scientific curiosity.

The GMO mosquitos are literally an attempt to save human babies from severe malformation.

(I apologize for being that guy)

Flo_Evans

What about the bats tho? Lots of bats are really endangered and thier primary food source is mosquitos.

I can't imagine eridicating mosquitos would have no effect.

Madness

What about the bats tho? Lots of bats are really endangered and thier primary food source is mosquitos.

I can't imagine eridicating mosquitos would have no effect.

Mosquitoes are useless insects so I'm OK with this.

It would... as disgusting as mosquitos are and as dangerous as they are, they have been essential in shaping animal and bacterial life for millenia on Earth. From the time of the dinosaurs to the common day. They have been the cause of numerous extinctions while allowing others to thrive. They also introduce diseases in certain animals while causing antibodies and resistance in others over millenia and through evolution. They have a role to play just like other species. Mosquitos are both a carrier of viruses and disease whilst also being a regulator for species.

Flo_Evans

I also have to wonder how much of a threat this really is.

There are tons of viral infections you can get while pregnant that will fuck your baby up.

Look up toxoplasmosis and tell me should we eliminate cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom