• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds raid Montana medical marijuana businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
threenote said:
Obama is a goddam liar. He never keeps his word. I wish I never voted for him.

U_MAD_obama.jpg

KJTB

Guevara said:
U.S. Politics 101: The Constitution and federal law trumps state law. It's called the Supremacy Clause. Marijuana is illegal under federal law, it's doesn't matter what the states choose to do.

However: states can choose not to prosecute people for Marijuana and in that case enforcement is only done sporadically by federal agencies.

Such a joke

Zero Hero

Think this has anything to do with it?

http://www.naturalnews.com/031489_DEA_legalized_marijuana.html

Today, yet another example emerges as the DEA moves to legalize THC in Big Pharma's pills while simultaneously making it illegal for anyone else to grow, sell or possess THC. The DEA, you see, is working to change the classification of THC from a schedule I substance (like street heroin) to a schedule III drug (pharmaceuticals). So if Big Pharma grows its own marijuana plants, extracts the THC and puts it into a "pot pill," those pills will be perfectly legal. They're already FDA approved, actually, when made with the synthetic version of THC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
SmokyDave said:
The fact that something can be perfectly legal and acceptable at state level but it's actually illegal because there is another set of laws that contradict and overrule the state laws. It's absolutely pointless and I'm amazed that you'd waste time & resources maintaining such a system. In any sensible system, weed is either legal, or it isn't. If you only had one set of laws, it'd be clear where you all stood and there'd be no topic for discussion here.

Allowing two contradictory laws is just stupid.

It's really simple, though, when you consider the Supremacy Clause. Weed is illegal under federal law, so nowhere in the United States is it legal.

States can say that it's "legal" all that they want to, and choose not to use their resources to prosecute crimes relating to the possession/distribution/etc. of weed, but it still remains illegal under federal law.

Edit: to be sure, I understand what your point is, but it's really not that confusing at all when you look at it that way.

Zabka said:
Prisons are a business in the US. I think they'd be kept in as long as possible.
I would hope that they could appeal to get out. They honestly shouldn't need to appeal, but this is America we're talking about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mre said:
It's really simple, though, when you consider the Supremacy Clause. Weed is illegal under federal law, so nowhere in the United States is it legal.

States can say that it's "legal" all that they want to, and choose not to use their resources to prosecute crimes relating to the possession/distribution/etc. of weed, but it still remains illegal under federal law.

This is one of those cases where the word of the law makes for absolutely terrible policy and so pretty much everyone either wants it changed or wants to suspend enforcement in lieu of having it changed.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Stumpokapow said:
This is one of those cases where the word of the law makes for absolutely terrible policy and so pretty much everyone either wants it changed or wants to suspend enforcement in lieu of having it changed.

I'm not arguing against what you're saying here at all, merely pointing out that the system isn't *quite* as nonsensical as Dave things it is. Personally, I think marijuana needs to at least be decriminalized. Make possession nothing more than a citation and move along.

KJTB

lethial said:
Thread over. The voice of reason has spoken.

I would have to disagree. People are going to do what they want to do, having the government tell people what they can and cannot put into their body does not sit well with a lot of people. They tried to ban alcohol from the public, how did that go? I believe that the government shouldn't be restricting people like they do, however they should provide better means for education on the subject and help programs if someone does fuck themselves up.

Dipindots said:
I would have to disagree. People are going to do what they want to do, having the government tell people what they can and cannot put into their body does not sit well with a lot of people. They tried to ban alcohol from the public, how did that go? I believe that the government shouldn't be restricting people like they do, however they should provide better means for education on the subject and help programs if someone does fuck themselves up.
I'm almost positive he was being sarcastic.

OptimoPeach said:
rofl what? Nausea and glaucoma are lethal now? I smoke weed regularly but COME ON

Cannabinoids (such as THC) can be used to treat cancer, especially glioblastoma multiforme (an aggressive brain cancer which, to date, has no known cure).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16078104

This paper was published nearly 6 years ago.

Zero Hero said:

Nothing to see here folks! Now why not ask your doctor about Weederall, your daily pill that will fight your glaucoma symptoms? Covered by most major insurances.

As a not-so-coincidental crossroad of your article and mine, plant-derived THC works better than artificially produced THC. Meaning you'll have to take it at higher dosages with more side effects to get therapeutic benefit.

Angry Fork

threenote said:
Obama is a goddam liar. He never keeps his word. I wish I never voted for him.
This, although I don't vote because I don't believe president's are the one's making decisions (Obama's presidency makes this painfully obvious, more so than any other in history.) He is one hell of a speaker though and I definitely got teary eyed during his 2008 speeches which i'm sure is one of the main reasons he was elected (as well as everyone just not wanting anything remotely republican).

Boonoo said:
The Obameter Scorecard

Promise Kept 134
Compromise 41
Promise Broken 39
Stalled 70
In the Works 220
Not yet rated 2

That's not too terrible. And really, no matter how poorly he's kept up with his promises I'd still rather have him than McCain.
Except that the compromises/promises broken are likely worth more and are far more important than the promises kept. Obama will keep a promise on some stupid shit nobody cares about like giving federal funds to agricultural research or some bs nobody has ever heard of, but when it comes to Guantanamo, health care, marijuana, etc. all of the topics that matter he's the biggest pussy in the world.

Dude has no balls what so ever (assuming he's the one making decisions, which I don't believe anymore, but i'm just saying for arguments sake). Republicans are running this shit whether they're in or out of office because democrat politicians are idiots and pussies. Go on television and say you endorse legalizing marijuana because the benefits far outweigh any possible downsides, that would help this country so much (i've never smoked marijuana before btw, so i'm no stoner hippie), but naaaah it's all politics though, forget about actually helping the country, fuck that noise, everyone in the government except low-level people are all crooks and anybody who believes otherwise is seriously naive after what we've seen over the last few years.

Chichikov

I still don't get why we even have the DEA.
This shit need to be handled by "normal" law enforcement, local, state or federal, as appropriate.

fucking obama. what hasn't he backslid on yet? I realize he wasn't there busting the people himself, but he said this wasn't going to happen.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Hasn't Obama made it clear that he will aggressively enforce federal laws regarding marijuana? Is this surprising?

No, it's the opposite. He said the Feds weren't going to bust medical marijuana places like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom