• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

i think sfv's position is justified. personal fgc streams aren't popular at all with the twitch crowd unless you're max so viewership numbers for sfv only become significant when there's a big tournament going on and unfortunately, that's few and far between.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but The Culling is sitting at #289 right now and somehow made #7 on that list. Nah, receipts.gif.

shaowebb

List seems about right to me honestly. I'm surrounded by casuals in Northern WV and folks dont really give a shit about fighting games in casual circles. They dont get whats goin on and they dont feel like waiting for an announcer to explain to them why they should be getting excited to care.

The titles listed in that twitch top 10 are pretty much all the things I hear folks saying they play and enjoy. Honestly surprised stardew wasnt even higher from some of the crowds out here.

shaowebb

Ya know what surprised me this week in WV? There was an anime convention with a game room there. Strange thing was though that even though there are 3 fighting games with a LOT of anime characters in them I never once saw Dengeki Bunko, Nitroplus, or Aquapazza showed...and we had a LOT of SAO cosplayers and several from the other titles as well.

They had J-stars victory versus and nothing else anime in the room. Just a lot of pachinko and some smash. Couple of other things but not even any Guilty Gear.

Oh well at least I got this shirt and found a lot of nice limited edition import bullethells in the vendor room.

FZaFuUl.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
No Man's Sky at 8? This shit is rigged.
Clash Royale? Stardew? lol
Stardew is a gift from the heavens I'll fight anyone who doesn't think it's goty 2016

Ya know what surprised me this week in WV? There was an anime convention with a game room there. Strange thing was though that even though there are 3 fighting games with a LOT of anime characters in them I never once saw Dengeki Bunko, Nitroplus, or Aquapazza showed...and we had a LOT of SAO cosplayers and several from the other titles as well.

They had J-stars victory versus and nothing else anime in the room. Just a lot of pachinko and some smash. Couple of other things but not even any Guilty Gear.

Oh well at least I got this shirt and found a lot of nice limited edition import bullethells in the vendor room.
Lol even anime nerds ignore that shit

shaowebb

Stardew is a gift from the heavens I'll fight anyone who doesn't think it's goty 2016

Lol even anime nerds ignore that shit

Considering the guy had SFIV but it didn't even have anyone unlocked and yes it was vanilla SFIV...I think maybe there were more problems than that. Missed opportunity to draw crowds in an audience built for it IMO.

EDIT: To be fair though the arcade group that came in and setup a second venue for casual gaming was way better. They had two side by side Viewlix cabinets outfitted with SFV and it was even current. Mainly though they had stuff like Taiko drum master, table flip arcade stuff, pop n music, rhythm coaster, that kinect arcade thingy and other big fancy stuff, but hey at least ONE of the two arcade setups had good gear. Too bad it wasn't the one for any of the fighting game tournies.

mbpm1

Apparently someone fucked with the Treta Grand FInals by remotely turning off the ps4 and pausing? Weird

Did anyone see this?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yeah, this annoyed me back in May at my local anime con, too. Only in the final hour or so of the game room did I see someone pull out UNIEL. By that time I'd had fun on SVC Chaos, Darkstalkers 3, Panic Bomber, Hokuto no Ken, and Waku Waku 7. And the requisite Windjammers. But I really wanted some of the more modern, niche fighters. And no KoF XIII the entire weekend when I was there.. :(

They had a lot of Skullgirls set-ups, and a few GG XRD and BrayBrue, which I really didn't care about at the time.

The group that puts up the room has been the same all the years I went I believe, and it's so odd what they have year-over-year. KoF XI Arcade one year, Real Bout 2 another, the Akatsuki Blitzkampf sequel on another, A wild Samurai Shodown Sen, and DaemonBride and Project Justice Arcade 2 or so years ago. I can never go back and say "I'm gonna play that all night!"

No SFV in the top 10 most watched new games on Twitch
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1288220&page=100000#footer

I think some of you guys expected way too much from a fighting game. Even MKX, a game which sold way more than SF5 doesn't get that much day to day viewership.

Capcom themselves have stated that they're pleased with the increased viewership and tourney participation this year over SF4 last year. So, if you're expecting more than Capcom themselves was expecting, then something is wrong...

shaowebb

Yeah, this annoyed me back in May at my local anime con, too. Only in the final hour or so of the game room did I see someone pull out UNIEL. By that time I'd had fun on SVC Chaos, Darkstalkers 3, Panic Bomber, Hokuto no Ken, and Waku Waku 7. And the requisite Windjammers. But I really wanted some of the more modern, niche fighters. And no KoF XIII the entire weekend when I was there.. :(

They had a lot of Skullgirls set-ups, and a few GG XRD and BrayBrue, which I really didn't care about at the time.

The group that puts up the room has been the same all the years I went I believe, and it's so odd what they have year-over-year. KoF XI Arcade one year, Real Bout 2 another, the Akatsuki Blitzkampf sequel on another, A wild Samurai Shodown Sen, and DaemonBride and Project Justice Arcade 2 or so years ago. I can never go back and say "I'm gonna play that all night!"
We had CVS2, Injustice 1 (unpatched *cringe*, smash 64, smash melee, smash brawl, Smash 4, Steel Battalion, J Stars victory Vs, Naruto, SFIV (vanilla unpatched no one unlocked), MK vs DC, MKXL, some FPS bullshit.

You sir have nothing to complain about in comparison lol.

I would've LOVED for Skullgirls or Vampire Savior to be there. Lucky if they even had anything I guess. They get robbed alot at these cons. Maybe they just got ripped off again and didn't have much left.

EDIT: Yo guys 10 minute warning for the MKXL patch stream happening at 4pm EST

https://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm

Get in here. I wonder if Kombat Pack 3 or Injustice 2 will get mentioned :p

CO_Andy

Fighting games are dead, or really fighting have become too technical to the point where joe gamer doesn't want to put the time and effort to learn.

Party multi, control simplicity, and loads of single-player content makes me think that Smash is probably the natural evolution of the genre. However i'm no fan of the community that surrounds those games :p

We honestly shouldn't expect fighters to ever again reach SF4's highs ever again; lightning-in-a-bottle blah blah blah. Of course i'll be proven entirely wrong once that LoL fighter drops.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
But they haven't really gotten more complicated, especially these new iterations that came out this year.

shaowebb

Fighting games are dead, or really fighting have become too technical to the point where joe gamer doesn't want to put the time and effort to learn.

Party multi, control simplicity, and loads of single-player content makes me think that Smash is probably the natural evolution of the genre. However i'm no fan of the community that surrounds those games :p

We honestly shouldn't expect fighters to ever again reach SF4's highs ever again; lightning-in-a-bottle blah blah blah. Of course i'll be proven entirely wrong once that LoL fighter drops.

Real talk. If the Rising Thunder folks really are putting out a LOL fighter then I will fully expect waves to be made. A roster of over 100 to pull from, a team with good ideas, and a control scheme and continuing content scheme that seems built to draw in new players.

CO_Andy

But they haven't really gotten more complicated, especially these new iterations that came out this year.
True, but they still remain too technical for the joe CoD player. Who wants to put hours into the training room and getting wasted in online matches when the everyday shooter offers a more pick-up and play experience where you can still suck and win?

shaowebb

Wow...Kenshi got mad buffs and Kitana got some sick EX tools too. Those two are gonna be popular after this patch.

EDIT: LOL! Mileena roll now costs 2 bars if you wanna combo it.
DOUBLE EDIT: By far the biggest change is the stamina cost change on run startup and the stamina penalty if you are hit during run taking you to near 10% stamina. Run cancel folks and pressure are reeaaaaaaally taking a hit.

Dahbomb

Viewership at tournaments is solid.

Viewership on a daily basis is bad.

That tells us three things:

1) Watching other players play fighting games online is not that entertaining especially without a personality.

2) Not enough top players streaming themselves online.

3) Single player/offline play is boring to watch in a fighting game. No one wants to watch Justin practice a single combo for an hour, that's an excellent way to put the stream to sleep. Survival mode is probably even worse but you may have the occasional salty moment over it.

These are tough issues to fix.

*Capcom* games haven't gotten more complicated. Try explaining all the fucking mechanics in an ASW game to your average gamer and you'll be sure to see their eyes roll into the back of their head.

Viewership at tournaments is solid.

Viewership on a daily basis is bad.

That tells us three things:

1) Watching other players play fighting games online is not that entertaining especially without a personality.

2) Not enough top players streaming themselves online.

3) Single player/offline play is boring to watch in a fighting game. No one wants to watch Justin practice a single combo for an hour, that's an excellent way to put the stream to sleep. Survival mode is probably even worse but you may have the occasional salty moment over it.

These are tough issues to fix.

The problem with SFV and fighting games in general is that they are too heavily tilted to the hardcore experience to be able to get any fun or reward from them, but are also too poverty to support individuals wanting to dedicate themselves to them full time.

Leaders in the community have been saying for years that the FGC needs more players streaming regularly and more people generating content for Youtube. But the level of commitment required is too great for the returns. It takes years of consistency to develop an audience, essentially a full-time job. Players who already have the name are unfortunately too busy trying to make a real living to consistently entertain people on Twitch for the sake of growing the game.

The community could use a few more Maximillians. Guys who aren't aiming to be top level players but care about the genre and are dedicated to content-making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom