• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Pompadour

Part-latino here too, and I thought he was hilarious. Now fighting him, on the other hand...

I think a lot of Fuerte's hate as a design is subconsciously influenced by people's frustration that dumb character. The design itself is about as generic as Abel and fits right at home in Street Fighter.

I do like to think that Capcom came up with the idea of a luchador that flips around screaming the names of Mexican dishes and only later decided to make him a chef in order to make it a little less racist.

Kumubou

How do you y'all feel about them testing out some junk flopping physics?

We need to exploit the Kadey demographic moving forwards.
I don't have any problems with this -- women (and gay men) want fanservice and husbandos too. Frankly, I think it's a market that's under-serviced.

TGM2015 also had loketests at R1, somebody's definitely doing something funny
I think that's just one of the more bizarre releases in recent history regardless. It went from 0 to reality real quick; I'm wondering if the performances at AGDQ this year fractured reality in some bizarre way.

Karsticles: You should talk to Valle to get your vision in to the hands of thousands. Maybe he'll even guest on some of the videos after he learns a thing or two from you https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/613095801959493632
I'm surprised the complaint is the quantity of content, rather than the number of eyeballs on said content. I think if there were a lot of truly interested viewers, the space would naturally fill itself up. Or maybe that's a kinder way of saying that the market just isn't there at this moment in time.

Of course I say this with a number of half-hearted video attempts on my hard drive somewhere.

Shouta

Fuerte is bad even by SF standards. Luchador with an obnoxious play style that shouts his moves out, all of which have names based on Latin American/Mexican foods? Even T.Hawk and Deejay aren't that bad.

Fuerte is bad even by SF standards. Luchador with an obnoxious play style that shouts his moves out, all of which have names based on Latin American/Mexican foods? Even T.Hawk and Deejay aren't that bad.

T.Hawk is the best Native-American represented in a video game in the last decade. That fuckboy in AssCreed3 was terrible.

joe2187

Banned
I think a lot of Fuerte's hate as a design is subconsciously influenced by people's frustration that dumb character. The design itself is about as generic as Abel and fits right at home in Street Fighter.

I do like to think that Capcom came up with the idea of a luchador that flips around screaming the names of Mexican dishes and only later decided to make him a chef in order to make it a little less racist.

Its like if cartman from south park designed a fighting game character.

El Fuerte has the stereotypes down to a pat, he even has the yellow fever. He is willing to do some Mexican on Mexican crime because T Hawk dissed his waifu.

fuertemika.png

Perro

Is El Fuerte really offensive? It's very stereotypical, but I don't think is a negative one. I wonder how mexicans feels about all the luchador characters in fighting games, i'd be bored. Capcom should make a mexican telenovela-ranchera character :p

I like Fuerte.... I wish I knew how to use him. He lives a his own world of spacing and setups like Viper.
Luchador moves look so cool. He was nice character wise vs the standard angry Juri or Adon.

joe2187

Banned
Is El Fuerte really offensive? It's very stereotypical, but I don't think is a negative one. I wonder how mexicans feels about all the luchador characters in fighting games, i'd be bored. Capcom should make a mexican telenovela-ranchera character :p

It doesnt really have to have negative aspects to be offensive. But going for the stereotype and in fuerte's case just making him one giant screaming one is extremely lazy.

Very little thought went into his design besides

Mexican + Wrestling = Luchador who screams about tacos.

fader

T Hawk defies stereotypes, gj capcom points to you

Im just saying if they're gonna do it, at least do it right!

the offensive part comes from a lack of knowledge on a culture that they have to stoop to lowest common denominators of that culture. like a luchador chef that scream hispanic cuisines.

I thought Dudley was pakistani? I don't know where the source of that even is.

Kind of relevant to the discussion at hand: I think many people missed a lot of the SFV interviews over the past week, which had some stuff of note (and perhaps not useful when put together):

This one with Matt Dahlgren has him saying:
"I think Birdie really sets the tone for the direction that we're headed with the roster. I don't think anyone really saw that character coming, he wasn't necessarily highly requested by the fans, but we still want to surprise people."

This one with Capcom Europe's Community Manager says they've paid a lot of attention to fan feedback when it comes to who makes it in, and they'll have whole roster out by Spring 2016.

There's another I'm looking for now where Matt Dahlgren talked about the research the devs did for the stages to ensure the authenticity of global representations (lol) but I can't find it ATM.
I just want the stage locations to look epic. I am tired of these boatways, temples, and street sides. I want more rooftops with rain and lightning.

I want a bloodsport arena.

How do you y'all feel about them testing out some junk flopping physics?

We need to exploit the Kadey demographic moving forwards.
You think Kadey wants to see that floppin' around? :p

Of course, that's why Honoka and Lady Kstoute are the best. :E
Never heard "Lady Kstoute" - is that her Japanese title? I almost bought DoA:LR for Nyotengu, though. I would like regular Tengu even more, though.

Capcom cares
BET, where everyone gets to see Birdie as the only black representation in the game right now. So smart.

Karsticles: You should talk to Valle to get your vision in to the hands of thousands. Maybe he'll even guest on some of the videos after he learns a thing or two from you https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/613095801959493632
I'm sure I have nothing to teach Valle, but thanks for the heads-up. I'm still learning all kinds of stuff as I play fighting games, but I don't think that you have to know everything to teach others what you do know...y'know?

I don't agree that there is a lack of viewers, though. ZeRo (top Smash player) got 70,000 views on his "day one" play analysis of Ryu that was posted 3 days ago.

Mew2King vs. ZeRo at Smash4 Grand Finals for Apex 2015 is sitting at 170,000 views.

Zero's opinion on the current Smash 4 tier list, spread across 3 videos, has 320,000 views.

Of course, a 36 minute play session of Ogawa destroying people with Zato from 8 months ago has 40,000 views. That's still a lot, but it shows the disparity of the fan base size (or something?).

notworksafe

Basically I want Ran Hibiki from Project Justice except the character throws checks instead of photos. Truly the best way to honor my people. Would pay up to $7.50 for DLC.

Or just Hideo from PJ with a yarmulke on. I'd accept that as well.

RM8

FWIW, I'm Mexican and El Fuerte was one of my favorite newcomers. And it sucks that I suck badly as him :[ He's stereotypical, absolutely, but he's funny and charismatic, and overall he felt refreshing as a Street Fighter character at the time. I would like to see more Mexican characters that aren't luchadores - but I don't have a problem with luchadores by themselves. Pepe from ROTG remains the best Mexican character in fighting games, though :p

Answers without a proper explanation or hint of sarcasm often get you banned. Good thing WesternHeretic is a good sport but watch your posting habits, man.
If Shouta bans someone for harassing WesternHeretic, does their entire family tree get banned?

/Philosoraptor

I actually can't think of a SF character that's that offensive, even though almost all of them rely on extreme racial stereotypes. If there was some sort of Dan character whose design was based around them being awful it'd probably be offensive, but all the characters are generally portrayed as competent and unique which is more than you can ask for in videogame character design, really.

Tell us how you really feel

I'll let you know my true vision when my kickstarter reaches 10 million

ShinMaruku

Karsticles;169436921 Never heard "Lady Kstoute" - is that her Japanese title? I almost bought DoA:LR for Nyotengu said:
Oh that's my nickname for her. Because I have a friend who looks like Tengu Irl so I said she's his wife. His tag is Kstoute. XD

Top Bottom