• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi has said he’s not interested in working at Square Enix

Draugoth

Gold Member
blue-dragon-1440x810.jpg

The Square Enix veteran, who left the company over 20 years ago after working there for two decades, recently teamed up with the Japanese publisher again to bring mobile RPG Fantasian to consoles this year.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Sakaguchi said he’s not interested in working on Final Fantasy again, partly because he’s “switched to a consumer rather than a creator”.

“Now I almost live in Final Fantasy XIV,”

he said, later adding:

“If I take on the Final Fantasy brand again, I don’t know if I’ll be able to genuinely enjoy Final Fantasy XIV as much.”

Source

"Now that Final Fantasy has made me rich, and time has made me old, I have decided it would be best not to work for Square Enix. I have decided to fuck off to retirement and be consumed by the series I once created, my life's savings redeemed for FFXIV coins. Also, I shit on Blue Dragon fans."
- Hironobu Sakaguchi

Raven117

Ffxiv is in fact pretty great and feels more like “final fantasy” than… hell.. definitely anything in the last decade or two.

The beginning of Ffxvi was on to something cool and awesome, but the devices back into uninspired tropes.

I’d be down for a Clive(itcher) though.

Raven117

"Now that Final Fantasy has made me rich, and time has made me old, I have decided it would be best not to work for Square Enix. I have decided to fuck off to retirement and be consumed by the series I once created, my life's savings redeemed for FFXIV coins. Also, I shit on Blue Dragon fans."
- Hironobu Sakaguchi
Lol. This caught me off guard.

Kumomeme

“If I take on the Final Fantasy brand again, I don’t know if I’ll be able to genuinely enjoy Final Fantasy XIV as much.”

he just want to play FFXIV lmao :messenger_tears_of_joy:

17b2986fe388b6182e26360bb24af4aa815afe83.gifv

3d55a532a9d6526ad3524dd75fd627e7fd197956.gifv

d4b517baaeda559a9c531eeb4d04805b703565a4.gifv

"I believe every day I was in there for 12 hours,"
"Final Fantasy 14 has become part of my life."
"Once I'm in a raid I can't attend a meeting,"
“On a rare occasion — I want to stress ‘rare occasion’ — sometimes one of the Mistwalker team members will hop on Final Fantasy XIV, and I’ll see a message saying, ‘Hey, the meeting’s started,.”
- Hironobu Sakaguchi

Last edited:
Sakaguchi is responsible for my favorite game of all time (FFIX) but his PR has always been off putting.

Both he and S-E suffered from failing to stay together, which I constantly lament.

Matsuchezz

Didn’t Sakaguchi get the boot after the failure of spirit within. Not after the merger of square soft and enix. Im speculating idk the facts.

Kumomeme

Such a shame. I really wanted to see what a Dragon’s Dogma-style take on Final Fantasy would look like.
this is what i atleast half expected when know Ryota Suzuki, the lead game designer behind first Dragons Dogma game gonna handle combat with FFXVI. turn out we got something else different from DD. dont get me wrong, the combat is great it just DD is entire different things as comparison.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking about corporate environments, they are a death knell to imaginative creators. People like Sakaguchi can't thrive under such conditions. From that perspective, can't blame him. SE also has nothing in common with the good ol' Squaresoft, aside from IP ownership, anyway.

He was a one in a million producer, the amount of legendary games he oversaw in such small timespan is absolutely insane.

And as soon as he got kicked out after the merger, his absence was immediately and profoundly felt.
100% agreed. He had a good eye for ideas and visions with potential. SE hasn't been the same since he exited.

Last edited:

Barakov

Can't blame him. Seems like he's in a better place right now and it works for him. Seems like it's better to play games than make them.

Top Bottom