• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

My local Kinokuniya had the Fire Emblem issue of Nintendo Dream with the deck storage box, guess i lucked out there.

luckyyyyyyy

my kino doesn't seem to stock nintendo dream

ended up with an issue of dengeki nintendo instead that had all about the kids of if

Draxal

luckyyyyyyy

my kino doesn't seem to stock nintendo dream

ended up with an issue of dengeki nintendo instead that had all about the kids of if

There was like 28 dedicated pages about Cipher and If, it was like Nintendo Power back in the day.

edit. From the Nendo thread.

CKzXhpoWcAEXBGF.jpg

CKzWtdrUMAAS72-.jpg

287727.jpg

Murray97

What game would you guys recommend to start on for playing the series? Is it possible to play 1-12 in English?

I've only ever played 13 so far and it was probably one of my favourite games ever, want to try more in the franchise.

Golnei

If you don't want to wait for Fates; FE7, otherwise known as "Fire Emblem" with no subtitle in English, would probably be the best place to continue, seeing as it's one of the more well-liked and beginner-friendly entries; with FE9 / Path of Radiance being similarly forgiving. Though the latter is out of print and not available on the Virtual Console or similar services, while FE7 should be out on the Wii U VC, as well as generally being easy to find used, if you wanted a physical copy.

In any case, depending on what you liked most from Awakening, it'd probably be a fairly bad idea to play the series through chronologically straight away; even if the first 6 games had official translations.

Murray97

Well I liked the combat & story a lot in FE:A. I do know that its apparently a lot easier than previous FE games though.

Why is it a bad idea to play them in chronologically order? Have the not aged well?

Golnei

If you're interested, you should eventually try one of the earlier games and/or their remakes, but it'd likely be inadvisable to play them as an introduction into the series, just because of the difference in presentation and accessibility - regardless of how well the first two have aged as games, they were still created under the limitations of the NES/Famicom.

Most of the games in the series can be compared favourably to Awakening in terms of plot and design, so you probably won't be too disappointed on that front. Depending on how you played Awakening, the difficulty of FE7-9's normal modes probably won't be that much of a step up (FE7's first ten chapters even consist of a mandatory, unskippable tutorial), even if their map designs generally require a slightly more involved approach, and the absence of a child system coupled with less readily available grinding allow fewer characters the ability to take on entire maps alone.

What game would you guys recommend to start on for playing the series? Is it possible to play 1-12 in English?

I've only ever played 13 so far and it was probably one of my favourite games ever, want to try more in the franchise.

9's all around very solid, if you can get a hold of a copy. Animations are sluggish though, just so you know. 8's difficulty is around Awakening's, IIRC, but the maps are more interesting. 7's slightly more challenging but has a thorough tutorial.

If you like Casual mode, 12 has it too, but you'll need to use the English fan patch. The game has good maps and fair difficulty, IMO. Since it's based on a really old game, its mechanics are simple (i.e. no skills), but you really sharpen your FE fundamentals with it. The portraits seem to turn off some people, but I think they're serviceable.

L95

1-6 and 12 never came out in the States/Europe but some have translation patches.

They all have translation patches.

FE1 (Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light)-Fully complete.
FE2 (Gaiden)-Fully complete.
FE3 (Mystery of the Emblem)-I haven't played this one, but to my knowledge is fully complete, though the translation is apparently stiff.
FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War)-Mostly complete, there are a handful of scenes (like two very short ones) that aren't complete. The epilogue crashes, however.
FE5 (Thracia 776)-The worst translation, the entire script is translated but it seems a lot of things were left out/mistranslated. Overall incomplete, there are a few bugs and a lot of menus are garbled completely. There's also quite a bit of garbled text in villages and some boss conversations.
FE6 (The Binding Blade)-Has two complete versions, the original translation and the rewrite translation which fixed the text and added graphical translations that were missing in the first patch.

FE12 (New Mystery of the Emblem)-Complete, and very good. This is a remake of FE3 book two, by the way.

c-murph

There was like 28 dedicated pages about Cipher and If, it was like Nintendo Power back in the day.

edit. From the Nendo thread.

CKzXhpoWcAEXBGF.jpg

CKzWtdrUMAAS72-.jpg

287727.jpg

Any idea when these will go up for preorder. Want that Marth, Link and Mega Man. May get Kirby too... I already have N on preorder at amazon.jp.

Draxal

If I were to change it, I'd wait for a direct link of the image. The way it is now there's a bit of a glare since it's a photo.

Plus, I like Senri Kita's art.

Yup yup, I really can't wait to see the Ike/Black Knight painted as it looks better than the IF brother/sister pair arts so far in the sketches.

Lunar15

I think it would be likely.

I'm gonna have to import this set, dammit. I wish it was all PoR/RD instead of split with Fates, given I know nothing about the Fates characters. I guess beggars can't be choosers. If it's a popular set, maybe they'll do more.

Also, while we're riding this Ike train, can we get a decent Ike figurine since he's apparently somewhat popular with fans?

Draxal

Reading Serenes... The booster box comes with limited edition sleeves, huh. Wonder what they are.

I think they're going to be a preview of the next round of sleeves. (not the Lucina round, but the one after).

I'm gonna have to import this set, dammit. I wish it was all PoR/RD instead of split with Fates, given I know nothing about the Fates characters. I guess beggars can't be choosers. If it's a popular set, maybe they'll do more.

Also, while we're riding this Ike train, can we get a decent Ike figurine since he's apparently somewhat popular with fans?

You probably can just buy the Tellius starter, it also wouldn't surprise me if they changed the release around, as for figures. It's pretty much just Archanea and Awakening atm.

Just a minor correction to the article, since my eyes were kind of hazy.

There are two sleeve designs and you get five of them. Not sure if you get a random assortment (like 2 of the first type and 3 of the second type) or just 5 of one type.

Since there's two types, I'm assuming it's Nohr and Hoshido themed. Maybe male and female Kamui?

Wouldn't be surprised if some sites had pics of the sleeves (I'm busy to search atm).

Just a minor correction to the article, since my eyes were kind of hazy.

There are two sleeve designs and you get five of them. Not sure if you get a random assortment (like 2 of the first type and 3 of the second type) or just 5 of one type.

Since there's two types, I'm assuming it's Nohr and Hoshido themed. Maybe male and female Kamui?

Wouldn't be surprised if some sites had pics of the sleeves (I'm busy to search atm).

don't think they've shown the sleeves design yet

Lunar15

Oh hey, a Black Knight costume for Mii Swordfighter in smash. That's pretty neat, actually.

8d4b496111.jpg

Looks silly, but hey, I'll take it!

King Fost

Neo Member
I wish the Black Knight was a playable character in Brawl instead of Robin or Lucina or Roy. He would've been more unique than the latter two mechanically as well.

That or Volug. His abs could solo the entire cast.

Golnei

Oh hey, a Black Knight costume for Mii Swordfighter in smash. That's pretty neat, actually.

8d4b496111.jpg

Looks silly, but hey, I'll take it!

It's kind of cute. I can't wait to do this in reverse.

tumblr_nf5bvuybIP1qihbjro1_1280.png

Though I'm still irrationally annoyed by how both of Ike's Zelgius palettes don't change Ragnell into Alondite. It wouldn't call for anything more than a colour swap...

Top Bottom