• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FireFox 1.0 date set; Micosoft prepares to withdrawl IE development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mozilla Firefox Browser Set for September Debut
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
July 12, 2004

The final version of Mozilla's Firefox will arrive September 14, according to lead engineer Ben Goodger.

Open-source browser fans, and those who have grown distrustful enough of Internet Explorer's security flaws to consider alternative browsers, will be looking forward to the first nonbeta release of the Mozilla Foundation's Firefox. The standalone browser has been in development since 2002.

The Mozilla Foundation renamed its standalone browser, formerly Mozilla Firebird, to Firefox with its 0.8 release earlier this year.

"Our target for our 1.0 release is a 'best of breed' browser product on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, and before we can make that claim, a number of things need to be done," Goodger said. These include squashing "high complexity/risk and localization impact" bugs.

To make the ambitious release date, some features, such as the Font Options UI (user interface) and the Bookmarks Manager UI have been frozen.

Still, as a quick look at the Firefox 1.0 Release Forum will show, users are concerned that the developers are pushing too hard to release the program on time without fixing minor bugs, such as memory leaks, which others regard as "showstoppers."

Goodger addressed the concerns in the forum, writing, "Again, no software release is ever flawless. We need to draw a line in the sand, otherwise we'll never ship, which means we'll never be able to begin the more aggressive feature goals we have for the post-1.0 period."
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622731,00.asp

SFA_AOK

I just hope it's not a bitch to upgrade to it. And that Java works correctly (why doesn't it work correctly btw - is it to do with Firefox or Java? I would've thought the Java VM used is the same in FF and IE so it's FF's handling of it that causes problems...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Two questions:

1) Will the Save to Disk feature work again?
2) Will flash overlay on adblocker work again?

PLZHLPKTHX

Deg

Banned
Firefox will only go from strength to strength. The 1.0 release is big news in that its not beta anymore. ITs more stable than IE in beta anyway.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Been using Firefox for months now after getting converted by the GA masses, can't look back now. Firefox is even more of a god send when using it on a laptop, constantly changing windows and shit was a pain.

One minor niggle, anyone know how to get Firefox to work with the pseudo-mouse wheel on laptops? Won't work on mine. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
Firefox will only go from strength to strength. The 1.0 release is big news in that its not beta anymore. ITs more stable than IE in beta anyway.

I use Firefox as my main browser, but IE actually is more stable...

I love FF, but it has issues from time to time. It's almost there, though...

yeah. i 've tried firefox a couple beta's ago (i gotta laptop) and my touchpad wouldnt work correctly. i couldnt scroll down the page by just dragging my finger. is that fixed? or is there a way to make that work? or is it all drivers?

SFA_AOK said:
I just hope it's not a bitch to upgrade to it. And that Java works correctly (why doesn't it work correctly btw - is it to do with Firefox or Java? I would've thought the Java VM used is the same in FF and IE so it's FF's handling of it that causes problems...

Java works fine for me. Did you install the Java stuff so it will run under Firefox? It's not just out of the box like IE.

SFA_AOK

StrikerObi said:
Java works fine for me. Did you install the Java stuff so it will run under Firefox? It's not just out of the box like IE.

It works for me for some pages - if I visit java.com, it says I have java and am ready to go. But if I go to http://games.yahoo.com and click on Holdem Poker, my browser will crash or hang. Most annoying :/

Is there something else I need to install?

calder

It might help to reinstall the full standalone Java runtime thingie (technical term) again. That worked for me a while back when I switched from Mozilla to Firefox.

Tenguman

Firefox > *

The only reason why I keep an IE link around is for those fools who code their websites using some weird ass frontage crap that only works in IE.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Awesome, just installed the latest version of Firefox, 0.9.2, and they've implemented, or should I say; taken out, the one thing that would make it perfect in my eyes.

It no longer keeps a history in the google bar.

Not that I have anything to hide, honest guv'nor.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Great King Bowser said:
Awesome, just installed the latest version of Firefox, 0.9.2, and they've implemented, or should I say; taken out, the one thing that would make it perfect in my eyes.

It no longer keeps a history in the google bar.

Not that I have anything to hide, honest guv'nor.

All you had to do was uncheck the "Saved Form Information" box under Privacy in Options....

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Killthee said:
All you had to do was uncheck the "Saved Form Information" box under Privacy in Options....

Well they took care of the hassle of me doing that. And I assumed that was just for actual forms, rather than the google bar. I don't really mind it recording forms, that's handy. But that which is entered into Google shall stay in the Google.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
SFA_AOK said:
It works for me for some pages - if I visit java.com, it says I have java and am ready to go. But if I go to http://games.yahoo.com and click on Holdem Poker, my browser will crash or hang. Most annoying :/

Is there something else I need to install?

The problem is you're playing Holdem Poker on yahoo. So slow and boring... Pokerstars all the way.

BTMash

I've been using Firefox (alongside IE) for a very long time as well, and though I have not yet completely migrated over to FF (due to issues on some pages), I can definetly say it is the superior browser. Only wish its javascript support was a little bit better as a few sites that use menus (such as ATI.com) will look messed up as the menus come in different spots on non-ie browsers (hence their removal of that feature from anything non-ie). But from what little I have seen, Firefox definetly looks to be much much better than Safari. I can definetly say that for any debugging I do on my web pages, I use Firefox (become a much better programmer thanks to it :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom