• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on new Halo 2 trailer......

GhaleonEB

Take these for what you will, but is sounds great:

I just got off the phone with my good friend down at the EB Games Managers meeting in Florida! He was treated to an EXCLUSIVE viewing of the new cinema trailer due out Octber 30th! Heres some info on it. WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS! Stop reading now if you don't wanna know and don't b!tch at me if you do people!!!

1. The graphics have recieved a major overhaul since the old 8 minute demo back at 2003 E3. The city is completely different with massively detailed burnt down buildings. He stressed a tremendous improvement.

2. Theres a walking transport that he compaired to a giant Star Wars AT-AT with a huge gaping mouth with massive ships coming out. He claims it was at least 3 or 4 times larger than an AT-AT.

3. The Prophets were shown in cut scenes speaking ENGLISH! Yes people, english. No Covenant mumbo jumbo.

He said hes got more info but he want to wait till he gets home to fill me in.
Enjoy these tidbits for now!

Update 1: He threw me a quick return call but it was short.
New Vehicles!!!!!!!! But alas he played tease and bailed before I got details. Nothing other than to say it was "Different" and "Boxy"

Update 2: Spoke again (I'm driving him crazy now). In response to Megalith: and I quote, "X02 trailer? Are you kidding? It kicks it in the BALLS! The amount of pure mayhem getting thrown around in this game makes the X02 trailer look like a PS2 game." Happy?

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=298061&page=1&pp=15

If the bit about the new vehicle is true....holy damn!

olimario

Banned
I care more about the Prophets speaking english.
Direct communication with the Covenant is VERY intriguing.

Sai

Sounds great.

There's also this scan of a screenshot from XBN floating around. It's a Single Player Campaign shot that shows the Master Chief, 2 ODSTs, 3 Marines in a 'hog, and 2 Pelicans in the sky. It's too good. One of those single screenshots that you'll always think about when HALO 2 comes to mind.

The difference between what we saw of New Mombasa in 2k3 and what we see now is just incredible, totally surpassed my expectations. I thought Frankie was overexaggerrating.

Just a lil' over a month away...

GhaleonEB

And holy shit I just saw a new shot - scanned from XBN - and holy goddamnit has the detail gone up.....wow!

No, I'm not saying where....that would be bad. :)

Edit - yup, that's the one I saw too, Sai. Just blew me away. The ODST models look nothing like the renders Bungie put out. Wow.

olimario

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
And holy shit I just saw a new shot - scanned from EGM - and holy goddamnit has the detail gone up.....wow!

That would be fine. Speak!

Sai

We talkin' about the same shot, GhaleonEB? It was from EGM? Thought it was a XBN shot, but coo'...

I thought it was going to take a bit longer for the new EGM, but I anxiously await impressions. Any floating around?

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
We talkin' about the same shot, GhaleonEB? It was from EGM? Thought it was a XBN shot, but coo'...

I thought it was going to take a bit longer for the new EGM, but I anxiously await impressions. Any floating around?

Hmmmm....you know, the site I got if from thought it was from EGM, but it would make more sense that it's from XBN since no other impressions of the EGM are out. I'll edit my post. Thanks.

And Olimario, check you PM.

GhaleonEB said:
And holy shit I just saw a new shot - scanned from XBN - and holy goddamnit has the detail gone up.....wow!

Edit - yup, that's the one I saw too, Sai. Just blew me away. The ODST models look nothing like the renders Bungie put out. Wow.

hint or PM please!

GhaleonEB

One more note about that shot - that is clearly a space elvevator over the MC's shoulder. Between the one on the back of the Limited Edition box and the several mentionings of them in the ilovebees story line, I'm convinced they are in the game. And that we get to ride one.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
olimario said:
That would be fine. Speak!
There are still some admins awake, you know. :p

Let's not turn this into a PM spam fest. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST, go PM him yourself. Don't put in requests here. Or else.

Go Go Ackman! said:
This game is the defining event of my life!

bishoptl said:
There are still some admins awake, you know. :p

Let's not turn this into a PM spam fest. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST, go PM him yourself. Don't put in requests here. Or else.

We all know you only have eyes for GTA:SA. Begone heathen! :p

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Actually, I'll take advantage of the 3 used games for Halo 2 offer if it's available in Canada. I liked the first one - well, three-quarters of it, anyways - it's just that I don't have much use for FPS games with console controls. Doesn't look like there's going to be a PC conversion of this in the near future, so I'm willing to plunk down some dosh for Bungie's game.

Besides, when I declare San Andreas the 2004 GOTY, none of you can claim bias on my part. :)

bishoptl said:
Actually, I'll take advantage of the 3 used games for Halo 2 offer if it's available in Canada. I liked the first one - well, three-quarters of it, anyways - it's just that I don't have much use for FPS games with console controls. Doesn't look like there's going to be a PC conversion of this in the near future, so I'm willing to plunk down some dosh for Bungie's game.

Besides, when I declare San Andreas the 2004 GOTY, none of you can claim bias on my part. :)

Well there is a KB&M adapter now, no excuses!

DSN2K said:
good god the game looks even better then before. :D

I always thought the E3-2K3 trailer was a little bland looking in the details (wonderful lighting and effects though). THis new screenshot shows off some AWESOME detail in the textures that they've added since then. Quite happy with the graphics progression since we last saw the SP mode.

GhaleonEB

Pedigree Chum said:
I always thought the E3-2K3 trailer was a little bland looking in the details (wonderful lighting and effects though). THis new screenshot shows off some AWESOME detail in the textures that they've added since then. Quite happy with the graphics progression since we last saw the SP mode.

Agreed - the E3 demo is great for what it was showing, but the texture and environment work always had me a little worried. No more. The detail really is stunning; I keep noticing little details on the ODST's and Pellicans. The leap from Halo to this is simply huge.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Downloaded and watched the demo video, nice. That's the way FPS games are meant to be played! My only concern is the number of presets, I hope the Halo preset will work with Halo 2, or I can program my own...never mind, I just saw that they're fully programmable. I'll put in an order next week. Thanks!

GhaleonEB said:
Agreed - the E3 demo is great for what it was showing, but the texture and environment work always had me a little worried. No more. The detail really is stunning; I keep noticing little details on the ODST's and Pellicans. The leap from Halo to this is simply huge.

Yup, it's crazy how some texture detail can add so much to graphics quality. The old SP vid looks so bland by comparison. I'm happy that Bungie saw fit to do something about it :)

GOTY people it's all over, sell your systems that, uh, don't run Halo 2! :D

GhaleonEB

So, when does the new EGM come out?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134390&did=1

Xbox Nation's story in turn ties in with the November issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, which will have even more Halo 2 single-player action, so pick up both for the full story (or as much of the full story as Bungie is going to let anyone see).

Also, that article says that the XBN story was to be 14 pages long - I've read reports that it's only five. Anyone...?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
So, when does the new EGM come out?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134390&did=1

Also, that article says that the XBN story was to be 14 pages long - I've read reports that it's only five. Anyone...?

theres also a 7 page "making of halo 1" story.

and wow, that new pic is absolutely hot! love the detail to the pelicans. its now equipped with guns i see :)

and is that a knife the ODSTs have?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
That new screen does not look improved at all (no self-shadowing, shaders look downgraded). Unless there's a better scan available than the one Olimario posted on another board.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This is just silly. They're warning us about spoilers in a fucking trailer!?!?! And why in the hell am I even reading this thread? A thread about details for a new trailer?

For the sake of the world and the insanity that resides within it, I pray to god Halo 2 will be released as soon as possible.

And now I'll leave this thread and never come back.

op_ivy

cybamerc said:
That new screen does not look improved at all (no self-shadowing, shaders look downgraded). Unless there's a better scan available than the one Olimario posted on another board.

yeah, it seems pretty obvious at this point that the game has 2 seperate lighting systems... one for large outdoor areas where everything is pre-rendered with light maps and basic shadows, and another for smaller or indoor areas with self shadowing and better lighting/shadowing overall. you can easily see instances of both in the screenshot archieve at bungie.net

even still, that screen is looks terrific. its impossible to think otherwise ;)

OH MY FUCKING GOD@%(#*(

The textures... the soft mist of the clouds slowly obscuring the rising pelican.. the texture master chief and the ODST's visors (what does ODST stand for?)... the weapons, the poses, the environments... jesus!!

I remember in a bungie update that they had a room full of pentiums doing the light-sourcing or light-mapping or whatever it is. Looking at the buildings and the courtyard, the shaded textures look way beyond anyting in Halo. I wonder if depth of field will be present in the single player game? Also, are you guys seeing any self-shadowing?

Thanks to GhaleonB, I'll be looking at this image for the next 10 minutes or so.

op_ivy

Pedigree Chum said:
Well there is a KB&M adapter now, no excuses!

wow, that really sucks...

i think halo played just fine with a pad, but i'll be the first to admit that those playing with the KB&M are at a severe advantage. hopefully not many people play on live with that :(

GhaleonEB

gofreak said:
Can anyone post (legal) pre-makeover shots for comparison?

ODST.jpg

The reaction when this render came out was pretty blah. Not so the new shot. :D

Top Bottom