• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First fighting game character you learned how to use?

raYne

Ferrio said:
Again, read the first post cause Tekken 3 was by far not my first fighting game.

I'm thinking you thought I was referring to you then. In which case you thought wrong. :p

Year: 1991
Game: Street Fighter II
Character:
Guile.jpg

I tried Ryu in SF I and I was too stupid to master the concept of circular joystick movement plus button press to execute move so I gave up. I tried Ryu in SF II again and still no luck, then I tried Guile. Backward charge and then forward was so much easier to pull off, then I stick with Guile and mastered him. After I mastered Guile, the rest of characters in SF II seem to be easier all of sudden and I learnt to play decently with Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and many other characters in very short time.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'd never gotten into competitive fighting games (my friends didn't, and still don't like many fighting games, save SoulCalibur & Guilty Gear) until I got everyone I knew hooked on SoulCalibur. And we started pushing each other to get better a lot. And I was getting tired of just randomly selecting characters and learning a few moves. So I decided one cool afternoon that I would learn a character that they wouldn't expect. Astaroth. After about a week, it was just a massacre. I won 65 matches in a row one night. I'm super rusty, now, though. :( No one plays anymore. And the new moves they added for him in SC2 were pretty nice. Ah well.

I'm alright with Milia Rage in GGXX. I need to learn her a bit better, though. And probably will when #RELOAD or whatever comes out.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Me, like four others in this thread - Chun Li.

She was so easy for beginners to learn and get up to speed.

It was great playing the game for a few days and already being able to hold your own against veterans.

Pachinko

to actually fit ferrios description the only character I've used in any fighting game ever that comes close to fitting the bill is Lei Fei in Virtua fighter 4. Even then I don't know everything but I'd say I figured out his perks moreso then any other character before him.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
kung_fu_chaos_kchamp.jpg

Red Gi, cause I was owning suckers on the Right side.

After that I would have to say Ryu on SF1 then 'Gief on SF2

I want to learn how to properly play Gen (SFA2/3) though...

My first would have to be also ryu and ken in sf1 and also in sf2.Then started learning everyone's moves in sf2...Loved to use Zanghief first when there is competition at the arcade to figure out the opponent strategy or patterns...Loved using kitana in MK2 because of her 5 hit juggle combo.. Right now im trying to figure out the technique in derby owners club because my Mar vs Com skillz are wack and the Sf3rd strike players at my old junior college are way to good for me to challenge....

Senretsu

2D Fighter:

Ryu on the SNES version of Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

It was all about the Hadouken and hurricane kick. First time I was able to do the dragon punch after hours of trying, the padding of my thumb was all red from soreness, but it was all worth it. Now I can pull them off in my sleep, I laugh at my friends who try and fail to do it.

First 3D fighter:

Xiaoyu on Tekken 3 (Playstation version). was tempted to go for that kicking guy but her moves were so flashy, I had to learn how to do them.

White Man

Going by Ferrio's rules, Jin from Tekken 3.

Going by the rules of just about everyone else in this thread, Chun-Li, SF2.

Ferrio

Banned
Datawhore said:
Me, like four others in this thread - Chun Li.

She was so easy for beginners to learn and get up to speed.

It was great playing the game for a few days and already being able to hold your own against veterans.

^hahahaha

WARCOCK

Banned
For what its worth it would have to be A-ism akuma. As stupid as it may sound i think id be able to hold my own against SFA3 pros if they did not resort to custom combos(with a dual shock controller that is :p). Ken in super street fighter 2. Cant say im good with anybody at third strike yet, still playing the game with ssf2 indoctrination(aka not using the high jumps or dashes or parries).

Takuan

I'm a TOTAL Shotoscrub. I started with Ryu/Ken (they were both the same to me, though I liked Ken better because of his farther-reaching shoryuken), then worked on Guile. In SF3, I'm most competent with Ryu. In the SFA series I'm best with Nash and Ryu.

In Tekken 2, I stuck with Paul. I did the same with 3. In 4, the only character I really played with was Jin. I liked Steve Fox but wasn't very good with him.

I haven't mastered anyone in VF4, and don't think I ever will. My fingers just aren't nimble enough for true mastery, and without people to play against there isn't any drive for me to stick with it. My best characters were Lion and Goh.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Chun-Li in SF2 was the first to me. I started out using Blanka though.

User 406

Banned
Hmmm, the first fighting game I seriously got into was Street Fighter 2, and my first character was Blanka, but I can't pin down the first character I really mastered. Back then, nobody knew all the special moves and the people in rec.games.video on usenet were working together to find them all out. I maintained one of the early special move faqs, and so I ended up playing all the characters anyway. When I reached a strong level of proficiency, it was with every character. I knew them all. I guess I'd just say that SF2:WW/CE/HF was the first fighting game I learned inside and out.

LakeEarth

First Fighting Game - Yie Ri Kung-Fu

Fight SFII character - Dhalsim (BAD choice, I couldn't play as him, lost in the first round, I never played the arcade game again until like 3 months later, and I picked...)

SFII character - Guile! Now I've learned how to be an awsome Ryu player, but back in the day Guile was my main man.

Character I rock at - Scorpion

TigerKnee

Blanka. Just learned to play SF2 and had no idea how to charge and do quarter circle motions. Pressing punch repeatedly to shock people was pretty satisfying.

Vitten

ki2_jagb.jpg

Haven't played KI2 in years but I would still know how to finish someone off with his 78-hit ultra combo or a 70% damage combo.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
MK1 - Sub Zero
SF2 - Ken
Smash Bros - Captain Falcon
Super Smash Bros Melee (the only game I currently play competitively) - Roy

Top Bottom