• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Images for Hellboy: The Crooked Man

Draugoth

Gold Member
first-images-of-jack-kesy-as-hellboy-in-hellboy-the-crooked-v0-2t6whv8tew9d1.jpeg

The trailer opens with scenic shots of the trees, rocks, and hills of Appalachia. But it quickly becomes clear that something is deeply wrong here. “Smells like death,” Kesy’s Hellboy proclaims. As the trailer proceeds, we see a levitating woman bitten by a snake, plagues of bugs, and other horrific sights.

Based on the comic-book miniseries of the same name by Mignola and artist Richard Corben, Hellboy: The Crooked Man is set in the 1950s and costars Adeline Rudolph (Resident Evil) as a rookie agent of the BPRD (the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense) who teams up with Hellboy to protect the residents of Appalachia from the creepy Crooked Man, who is collecting souls for the devil.

Last edited:
I like it. Its great when super hero movies take on a storyline that doesnt involve saving the world or universe, or even a city. Side quests are fine.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I liked the trailer.
The visuals (more muted palette), local (horror in the woods). Music and general vibe.
The skinnier Hellboy thumbnail threw me before I watched the trailer. I think it could be a good horror-action.
As always with HB films, I'm looking forward to seeing the monster designs. I hope its good.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
First and second Hellboy movies were fantastic. Second movie had the best elves ever depicted on screen. Yes, even better than Lord of the Rings.

Doom85

Crooked Man, huh? That new actor has big shoes to fill as Conjuring 2’s version was awesome.

y8KHhaI.gif

It’s funny how many people wrote the character off as CG, but nope, Javier Botet is actually built like that (he also played Slender Man in the 2018 film Slender, shame that movie sucked as he was perfect for that role).

bitbydeath

Crooked Man, huh? That new actor has big shoes to fill as Conjuring 2’s version was awesome.

y8KHhaI.gif

It’s funny how many people wrote the character off as CG, but nope, Javier Botet is actually built like that (he also played Slender Man in the 2018 film Slender, shame that movie sucked as he was perfect for that role).

And Hill House.
images

y8KHhaI.gif

I love The Conjuringverse

The Crooked Man is still my favorite antagonist from those movies

All of the antagonist designs are fantastic

I hope this new Hellboy movie is good since the subject matter itself is interesting

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I love The Conjuringverse

The Crooked Man is still my favorite antagonist from those movies

All of the antagonist designs are fantastic

I hope this new Hellboy movie is good since the subject matter itself is interesting
I've only ever seen the first Conjuring movie but I was pleasantly surprised. Very good atmosphere.

The male and female paranormal investigators / demonologists were based off of real people. They both passed away a while back but they used to go on Coast to Coast AM.

I thought I heard the rest of The Conjuring movies were kind of cheap though?

Last edited:

Doom85

I've only ever seen the first Conjuring movie but I was pleasantly surprised. Very good atmosphere.

The male and female paranormal investigators / demonologists were based off of real people. They both passed away a while back but they used to go on Coast to Coast AM.

Conjuring 2 is just as solid as 1, helps its the same director as 1 (James Wan).

Conjuring 3 is like a meh episode of X-Files. It’s not great, but I like the leads (Ed and Lorraine) so the movie is somewhat enjoyable just as I can still enjoy a weaker episode of X-Files because I like Mulder and Scully.

Annabelle 1 is a snooze fest. Annabelle 2 is actually really good. I’ve not seen Annabelle 3 but heard most say it’s between 1 and 2 in quality.

Nun 1 was forgettable, I haven’t bothered with Nun 2 yet.

The Curse of La Llorona might as well not be in the verse it’s so flimsily connected. It’s okay, starts off decent but the final act is weak, but given how terrifying the legend is in Hispanic culture from what I’m told it’s a shame the movie isn’t scarier (honestly the scariest part is the flashback with her as a normal woman, she’s drowning her first child in the water and then the second child walks up and freezes, and then the woman stops and just looks up with this terrifying stare at the second child. Pretty unsettling).

The best thing about The Conjuringverse is that all the Demons/Spirits/Monsters all have memorable designs

I didn't notice how cheap they are

Wish there was more of these movies

Still salty that Crooked Man movie got cancelled

BTW I subscribe to Coast To Coast AM

I listen to it everyday

Conjuring 2 is just as solid as 1, helps its the same director as 1 (James Wan).

Conjuring 3 is like a meh episode of X-Files. It’s not great, but I like the leads (Ed and Lorraine) so the movie is somewhat enjoyable just as I can still enjoy a weaker episode of X-Files because I like Mulder and Scully.

Annabelle 1 is a snooze fest. Annabelle 2 is actually really good. I’ve not seen Annabelle 3 but heard most say it’s between 1 and 2 in quality.

Nun 1 was forgettable, I haven’t bothered with Nun 2 yet.

The Curse of La Llorona might as well not be in the verse it’s so flimsily connected. It’s okay, starts off decent but the final act is weak, but given how terrifying the legend is in Hispanic culture from what I’m told it’s a shame the movie isn’t scarier (honestly the scariest part is the flashback with her as a normal woman, she’s drowning her first child in the water and then the second child walks up and freezes, and then the woman stops and just looks up with this terrifying stare at the second child. Pretty unsettling).

I love all of them 👀

anderson cooper dreamy sigh GIF

Top Bottom