• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Mario Tennis Review

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
4/5

Quick Review:
http://www.gamedaily.com/general/holiday/article.asp?section=review&article_id=519

Extended Review:
http://www.gamedaily.com/general/holiday/article.asp?section=review&article_id=519&page=2

+ Great game of tennis, with very smooth controls
+ New additions like power shots and character moves spruce things up
+ Colorful, vibrant graphics and animation
+ One of the best multiplayer games out there
+/- Lots of modes, but the game can be easy for those of us familiar with the series
+/- Mini-games are sweet, but some aren't too fun or long lasting
+/- Mario's crew makes it, but this isn't as broad a character list as Super Smash Brothers Melee
- Why is Luigi always getting hated on?

Just like Nintendo's earlier release of Mario Golf, Mario Power Tennis does justice to fans of the sport with smooth control and a real understanding of what makes tennis an exciting, fast-paced game. Meanwhile, those of us looking for some of the more fantastic elements of a Nintendo game won't be disappointed, as character-specific shots and tricky courts keep things fresh and vibrant. It also features fun mini-games, though some of them can just be frustrating, and the game's tournaments are fairly easy. Still, Mario Power Tennis brings the fun in a big way. Game, set, and match, Mario Power Tennis scores an ace.

snapty00

Banned
I might get it...I dunno. I did like Mario Tennis 64, after all. I just don't like that Mario and gang are in the game, really.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The review can be summed up to say "This game is the game that pretty much everyone expects it to be." It's (unfortunately) not an "omg 5 star!!!" experience, but it's (fortunately) still a really fun experience.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This game is a curious one.

The gameplay itself is awesome (i mean, the straight forward tennis).
Graphically and presentation wise , things are very nice indeed (especially the evening games)
The challenges are so so
and i HATE the pointless power shots (which at least can be turned off)

But what i cannot understand for the life of me is that lack of catering to multiplayer tournies...

People always moan about the PS2 only having 2 ports in comparison to the GCs four, but the game is missing simple things like :

Multiplayer players (e.g. 4) competiting in the same tournament with CPU players
Being able to play doubles in a tournament (i can play doubles with a CPU player, but not with a human!)
not having to quit to the menu screen to rechoose a mini game

Basic stuff, yet not present.

But hey, we've got tons of novelty games to keep you side tracked! Nintendo knows you didn't want to play real tennis anyways.

Equally pleasing and frustrating at the same time.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
luigi looked way cooler in the original game. who wants to stare at red and brown the whole time? All the backgrounds were already almost all red and brown! Luigi was a nice change of pace. Luigi dares to be different.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Edit: Oh just read DCharile's impressions. No Doubles? :("

you can play exhibition doubles, but not tournament doubles
or a tournament with multiple people...

i mean... is it too much to ask for that you can set up a randomly drawn touney when your friends around without having to figure it out yourself?!

Deg

Banned
After MKDD and MP5 i wonder who even gives a shit about Nintendo multiplayer game reviews. Good or bad.

Kon Tiki

Banned
DCharlie said:
"Edit: Oh just read DCharile's impressions. No Doubles? :("

you can play exhibition doubles, but not tournament doubles
or a tournament with multiple people.

Just the same. :(

Top Bottom