• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First PC emulator approved for Apple AppStore

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It’s amazing that Apple are finally allowing stuff like this in. Its progress.

I wonder what games it can play?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know what I’m doing today!

FYagzcS.jpeg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
No JIT definitely sucks. I wish Apple weren’t such wieners about that.

coffinbirth

Sure, you can get some newer-ish games running on Winlator. Pretty cool.
It's much bigger than that, and growing every day. The community is going ham on this. If you, or anyone else here is genuinely interested in this, give this a watch. It's pretty informative and eye opening to the possibilities.

With some tinkering (a given here) you can get tons of modern, albeit less demanding, games running. Indies and such, mostly. I have been in on this since early on and have been amazed how quickly this is all going down. We went from Half-Life 2 to GTA V in a matter of months. I just got RPCS3 running yesterday. Still pretty rough, and more or less just as a proof of concept, but it's pretty wild nonetheless.

If you take a look at what Microsoft is doing with Windows running on ARM, we are right around the corner from a pretty wide gamut of options for doing PC stuff on Android.

iOS is legitimately crippled in this entire conversation due to their entitlement restrictions. Without jits or other similar methods, it's DOA for modern software.

reinking

Gold Member
It's much bigger than that, and growing every day. The community is going ham on this. If you, or anyone else here is genuinely interested in this, give this a watch. It's pretty informative and eye opening to the possibilities.

With some tinkering (a given here) you can get tons of modern, albeit less demanding, games running. Indies and such, mostly. I have been in on this since early on and have been amazed how quickly this is all going down. We went from Half-Life 2 to GTA V in a matter of months. I just got RPCS3 running yesterday. Still pretty rough, and more or less just as a proof of concept, but it's pretty wild nonetheless.

If you take a look at what Microsoft is doing with Windows running on ARM, we are right around the corner from a pretty wide gamut of options for doing PC stuff on Android.

iOS is legitimately crippled in this entire conversation due to their entitlement restrictions. Without jits or other similar methods, it's DOA for modern software.

Jensen Ackles Thumbs Up GIF

StereoVsn

It would be good to have JIT available. Apple could even allow it through unlocking dev mode Android style. But it’s not going to happen unless EU forces them or something similar.

Trilobit

It’s amazing that Apple are finally allowing stuff like this in. Its progress.

I wonder what games it can play?

It's EU going nuclear on them. I'm really happy that they were forced to put USB-C on their iPads. Simplifies my life somewhat.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've used UTM on Mac since Apple silicon released. It's a pretty solid virtualization app based on QEMU. It's pretty cool that it can run on iOS now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's EU going nuclear on them. I'm really happy that they were forced to put USB-C on their iPads. Simplifies my life somewhat.
They started transitioning iPads to USB-C starting with the 2018 iPad Pro, well before the EU implemented their rule to standardize on USB-C. By the time the rule went into effect there was only one iPad model still using lightning, the 2021 9th-gen iPad, and that was discontinued earlier this year.

Trilobit

They started transitioning iPads to USB-C starting with the 2018 iPad Pro, well before the EU implemented their rule to standardize on USB-C. By the time the rule went into effect there was only one iPad model still using lightning, the 2021 9th-gen iPad, and that was discontinued earlier this year.

Oh, okay, you're right. It was the iPhones that were affected by the EU legislation.

At its iPhone 15 event, the company announced all of its next-generation smartphones will launch with USB-C charging, and so will the latest iteration of its AirPods Pro. Although Apple has previously switched its iPads and MacBooks to USB-C charging, it has been resistant to making the change on the iPhone until now.

The switch would come less than a year after the European Union voted to approve legislation to require smartphones, tablets, digital cameras, portable speakers and other small devices to support USB-C charging by 2024. The first-of-its-kind law aims to pare down the number of chargers and cables consumers must contend with when they purchase a new device, and to allow users to mix and match devices and chargers even if they were produced by different manufacturers.

Top Bottom