• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First review of Clinton book in NYT: "painfully candid" and "gleefully vindictive"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

Former President Bill Clinton, in a 957-page autobiography that is by turns painfully candid about his personal flaws and gleefully vindictive about what he calls the hypocrisy of his enemies, blamed his affair with Monica Lewinsky on the "old demons" that have haunted him all his life.

link to NYT (registration required)

The review has some spoilers (if you consider nonfiction to be something that can be spoiled). There's also a second article about the publishers trying to shut down leaks:

Lawyers for Bill Clinton's publisher scrambled yesterday to block leaks from his memoirs before its official release next week. But legal experts said a publisher had scant hope of keeping the contents under wraps after a copy fell into a reporter's hands.

The Associated Press reported yesterday that it had obtained a copy, disclosing several details about Mr. Clinton's account of his affair with Monica Lewinsky and its consequences. The New York Times independently obtained another copy.

NYT link

I was afraid that the book would just be a gentle whitewashed trip down memory lane, but it looks like Clinton is taking the gloves off and settling scores. Excellent.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that guy was awesome.

George bush, stop wrecking the world.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I've always liked Bill Clinton as a person. How good a president he was is very debatable, but I always liked the guy. Seemed like someone you could hang out with and talk to about sports or something, know what I mean?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I've never had any interest in picking up a book of this type(presidential autobiography) before, but this book may just break that streak.

Prospero

I usually wouldn't pick up a political autobiography either--usually they're ghostwritten and self-serving (like Hillary Clinton's book). But this time Clinton wrote the entire book himself (in longhand--the book's over six months late because of it), and from what NYT and other reviews are saying, it looks like he just doesn't give a damn whether you like him or not.

7849886.jpg

Check out the facial expression: it's like he's thinking, "Being Bill Clinton rocks! Now it's time to set things straight! Ha ha!"

Matt

Clinton lives very close by me, and I have managed to see him around quite a bit and even talk to him a few times. Very nice guy, always hospitable and ready to sign autographs or so forth. Hilary and Chelsea too. In fact, the first time my little sister meet the Clintons, she got scared and started crying, and both Hilary and Chelsea (especially Chelsea ) spent a lot of time trying to comfort her (it worked too.)

Meier

I truly am shocked a liberal-minded newspaper reviewed this well. I can't wait to see their most certainly 'fair and balanced' review for Faherenheit 9/11 as well.

Mumbles

Meier said:
I truly am shocked a liberal-minded newspaper reviewed this well. I can't wait to see their most certainly 'fair and balanced' review for Faherenheit 9/11 as well.

Of course, if the reaction to Hillary's book is anything to go by, Fox News and the like will repeatedly slam it, while admitting that they've never read so much as the first page.

Meier said:

As compared to Faux News labeling of Faherenheit 9/11 as a supposed movie blockbuster when it only opens in some 600 odd theaters. Why are they doing that? Gee, when the movie only opens with 15-20 million, Faux News will begin to slam the movie for failing to meet their expectations.

I loved Clinton and then somewhere I switched over and hated him... it was weird, i was literally defending him from my republican dad in arguments, and then all of a sudden, i hated him more than my dad.. dont know what made me switch..

these days, now that i see the emotional hatred against bush, and realize i was part of that problem against clinton... that sickness... i like clinton more..

i appreciate what the presidents of this country have to go through, its not an easy job or life, and i think they all have wanted to help this country and leave a mark on history in a good way... so i will probably get this at some point... i really think clinton and bush, being at the time we are in, of such instant access to news, and so many 24 hours news stations and the internet, will have had two of the hardest and most demanding presidencies ever.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Meier said:
Aw, the kid still believes in the liberal New York Times... ;)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hitokage said:
Aw, the kid still believes in the liberal New York Times... ;)
everyone who works there is a bleeding heart librul, even the delivery truck drivers and janitors.

Ripclawe

Banned
Meier said:

NYtimes is moore's publicity machine, they are backing the movie as much as they tried to rip down passion of the christ with frank rich leading the way. This time Rich is leading the charge for moore. no surprise.

still waiting for the Walter Duranty apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom