• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews in for The Terminal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

Any Speilberg movie with Tom Hanks deserves to be spotlighted. You may not like either of them but they are talented in what they do...Besides, movies really seem to suck this summer..unless you count spiderman and harry potter (go dodgeball!)

"This movie is intended to make an audience feel good and - in spite of its convoluted plot devices, clichéd characters and old fashioned hoekum - it succeeds."
-- Patrick Nash, THREE MOVIE BUFFS

"The key to this is not bigger, faster or more intense. It is the simple clarity that is at the core of all great storytelling."
-- David Poland, HOT BUTTON

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheTerminal-10003093/preview.php

Ripclawe

Banned
ps04.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I saw a preview for this recently... looked interesting but right now I've got it classified as "view when comes out on DVD".

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
human5892 said:
I like Tom Hanks, I don't like Steven Speilburg. I will probably not see this movie.

That's about it.

Why don't you like Spielberg? While A.I. and Minority Report weren't all that great, there's still Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Always, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, etc... Spielberg's one of the great directors of all time. So what is it that make you not like him? Just curious, not an attack!

COCKLES

being watched
Spielberg's like Ridley Scott - he needs to get back to the genre that made him great. The big adventure / sci-fi flick.

If Ridley Scott is gonna make that big Alienworld movie, then I wish he'd fucking hurry up and make it already - not piss around with lightweight fluff like Matchstick Men.

Give Paul Anderson his dues - whatever AVP turns out like, at least he busted down the doors, wrote the script and got it directed in double quick time rather then years of endless talk talk.

And add Cameron to that list as well. Although he looks like his reedeeming himself for the wilderness years of IMAX and Titanic obsession with Battle Angel Alita.

DarienA

COCKLES said:
Give Paul Anderson his dues - whatever AVP turns out like, at least he busted down the doors, wrote the script and got it directed in double quick time rather then years of endless talk talk.

I've never really understood the Paul Anderson hate... I guess part of that has to do with the fact that I was never a big RE fan so his changes to the story didn't bother me in the least.

I've like all of the movies he's directed... yes that includes Soldier and Event Horizon which... actually I think I own all of his on DVD.

COCKLES

being watched
DarienA said:
I've never really understood the Paul Anderson hate... I guess part of that has to do with the fact that I was never a big RE fan so his changes to the story didn't bother me in the least.

I've like all of the movies he's directed... yes that includes Soldier and Event Horizon which... actually I think I own all of his on DVD.

I don't think there is much hate. It's all really comes from Harry Knowles and AICN. Even if AVP is good, Fat Knowles won't admit it. He was deadly silent about RE - don't think they even reviewed it.

RE2 looks to be a good translation of the RE2 game with new bits thrown in, although Anderson only wrote it, new guy directing (rraahhh Jill!).

Never seen Soldier, but Event Horizon was probably one of the few 90's movies that had some genuine scares in rather then the rest of the dirge that hollywood tried to pass off in the genre.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
COCKLES said:
Spielberg's like Ridley Scott - he needs to get back to the genre that made him great. The big adventure / sci-fi flick.

Stephen Spielberg since 2000:

2001: Artificial Intelligence: A.I. (big adventure/sci fi flick)
2002: Minority Report (big adventure/sci fi flick)
2002: Catch Me If You Can (crime/thriller/drama)
2004: The Terminal (romantic comedy)

And coming up:

2006: Movie about the 1972 Olympics (thriller--terrorists captured Israeli athletes & killed 11 of them)
2006: War of the Worlds (w00t! now THAT'S what I'm talking about! big adventure/sci-fi)
2006: Indiana Jones 4 (big adventure)

COCKLES

being watched
Minority Report - good movie, but it still felt 'small'. I'm talking about a big summer flick - War of the Worlds definately meets that standard. Tom Cruise isn't it? Supposed to be faithful to the book, set in Victorian London with giant Tripods oblitering London. That's more like it.

AI - I really enjoyed it, but again, didn't have the usual Speilberg feel (not surprising as it's really a Kubrick movie).

DarienA

COCKLES said:
I don't think there is much hate. It's all really comes from Harry Knowles and AICN. Even if AVP is good, Fat Knowles won't admit it. He was deadly silent about RE - don't think they even reviewed it.

RE2 looks to be a good translation of the RE2 game with new bits thrown in, although Anderson only wrote it, new guy directing (rraahhh Jill!).

Never seen Soldier, but Event Horizon was probably one of the few 90's movies that had some genuine scares in rather then the rest of the dirge that hollywood tried to pass off in the genre.

I'm not talking specifically about AICN... even around here there was Paul Anderson hate for RE... and I remember when he called in to Howard Stern a bit back to talk about AvP... wow some of the phone calls he took were pretty nasty.

And yeah I think Event Horizon did have some good "jump" and "holy shit!" moments to it..... to this day I'm not exactly sure I understood what happened to the ship... it went to "hell"... and came back pissed off?

The original War of the Worlds is a classic... I love it.... the remake better not suck. I'm hoping one day they'll release the cheesy TV series on DVD.

COCKLES

being watched
DarienA said:
I'm not talking specifically about AICN... even around here there was Paul Anderson hate for RE... and I remember when he called in to Howard Stern a bit back to talk about AvP... wow some of the phone calls he took were pretty nasty.

And yeah I think Event Horizon did have some good "jump" and "holy shit!" moments to it..... to this day I'm not exactly sure I understood what happened to the ship... it went to "hell"... and came back pissed off?

The original War of the Worlds is a classic... I love it.... the remake better not suck.

RE was a good popcorn flick based on a game. Certainly the best game adaption so far. Smart move making it set BEFORE the game - although I'm sure there were people who wanted a direct translation of the game with Barry, Jill & co.

Who Anderson hate thing was bankrolled by ACIN. I don't remember anyone hating on the guy until AICN publiclly started slating him, quite vitrolicly at times. There are plenty of directors who have produced more dirge then Anderson over the last few years such as John Woo whose been wholly awful since he came to the US.

In terms of games to movies, where the fuck is the Halo / HL movie?

War of the Worlds would be a timely release - given as HG Wells wrote it as an allgory to British Colonialism. ID4 pretty much assures that it will be a period piece. PAL's version was a fantastic slice of 50's action - gotta love those oblitering death rays and one of my favourite scenes in a movie, where the nukes are dropped on the aliens, only for them to emerge unscathed (ripped off for wholesale by ID4).

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SteveMeister said:
Why don't you like Spielberg? While A.I. and Minority Report weren't all that great, there's still Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Always, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, etc... Spielberg's one of the great directors of all time. So what is it that make you not like him? Just curious, not an attack!
I'll give you Jaws, E.T, and Jurassic Park, and maybe Schindler's List -- I do like those movies, and if Speilburg's entire catalogue was like that, I'd be inclined to give him a little more slack.

My big beef with him, though, is that he almost always backs down from anything resembling realistic film-making in order to achieve the "feel-good" effect. For example, even though I enjoyed Jurassic Park, the shot towards the end with the T-rex saving the day as the stupid banner fell down in slow motion around him...awful. Just terrible. Those kinds of moments ruined the Indiana Jones series for me, as much as I liked it when I was a kid.

Where Speilburg excels, IMO, is his visual prowess and smart usage of special effects. One of the main reasons why I like Jurassic Park is because its CGI and puppetry was integrated and blended so well that even today, it looks better special-effects-wise than many other modern films that try to create unreal or non-existant creatures. He has a very good eye for scene composition, as well, and overall his films just have a very pleasing visual flavor. When you combine this with his mainstream-friendly plot-lines and cutesy moments, it's not hard to see why he is so popular. For me, though, it is precisely those moments that ruin most of his films for me. Spielburg is all about giving you an entertaining ride, but almost always wrapping things up in the end. For most of his films, I could not take away much when I left the theater. In this respect, he is almost the polar opposite of my favorite director, Stanley Kubrick.

Ryu

I liked The Terminal a lot. I posted a thread with my umm, I guess you can say impressions of it since I saw it this past Friday. I think Spielberg is an excellent director -- he just kind of lost his mind with AI. :)

Matt

COCKLES said:
If Ridley Scott is gonna make that big Alienworld movie, then I wish he'd fucking hurry up and make it already - not piss around with lightweight fluff like Matchstick Men.
A.) Matchstick Men is a pretty dam good movie.

B.) Its took about 3 months of work to make while Scott was waiting for the filming of Tripoli (I think) to start.

=W=

Ok, sorry to revive a somewhat oldish (eh, 3 days?) topic, but I saw this on Rotten Tomatoes and thought it deserved a post

"...so visually sophisticated you could enjoy it just as much with the sound turned off. Heck, I'll admit it: a couple of these crane shots actually gave me an erection."
-- Sean Burns, PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY

Dead

well not really...yet
Minority Report and AI were brilliant easily in Spielbergs top 5 (AI at least), Catch me if you can was okay...but really The Terminal looks so cookie cutter I have no envy to see it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For example, even though I enjoyed Jurassic Park, the shot towards the end with the T-rex saving the day as the stupid banner fell down in slow motion around him...awful. Just terrible.

Don't agree. That's not a typical cloying 'feel good' Spielberg moment. Thats a grandstanding monster movie moment. Works a treat.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
DeadStar said:
Minority Report and AI were brilliant easily in Spielbergs top 5 (AI at least), Catch me if you can was okay...but really The Terminal looks so cookie cutter I have no envy to see it

Minority Report would've been great if it had ended about 30 minutes earlier.

AI is just garbage. Seriously. Spielberg should've saved the time and money it cost to make it and instead just exhumed Kubrick's corpse so he could rape it outright.

Dead

well not really...yet
Minotauro said:
Minority Report would've been great if it had ended about 30 minutes earlier.

AI is just garbage. Seriously. Spielberg should've saved the time and money it cost to make it and instead just exhumed Kubrick's corpse so he could rape it outright.
Theres more to minority reports ending then meets the eye if you want, you can choose to see it as it is, or choose to think of it in another way....either way it doesnt really matter since youve already proclaimed the ending "shit."

ill refrain from commenting on that second comment, as the stupidity of the statement speaks for itself, its not a movie thats for everyone but that was uncalled for.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just saw The Terminal and I thought it was really good. Easily Spielberg's best in a long, long time as it does exactly what he wanted it to do. It's a very simple story and it's extremely entertaining without getting heavy handed. I'd put it in the best Spielberg movies along with Raiders, Schindler's List, Private Ryan, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, E.T., Jaws, and Empire of the Sun.

I liked The Terminal a lot. I posted a thread with my umm, I guess you can say impressions of it since I saw it this past Friday. I think Spielberg is an excellent director -- he just kind of lost his mind with AI.

In all of Spielberg's movies, including the box office flops 1941 and Always, AI is very interesting.

Basically the movie up until David and Joe go to the city is Kubrick's. That is the movie you would've seen had Kubrick made it. It's tone was very Kubrick. But then, it spirals into Sappy Spielberg land. I LOVE the first half of AI. Yet, apparently the movie's script really didn't change much at all from when Kubrick had it. He apparently gave it to Speilberg as that last half of it was better tuned to Spielberg's mindset than Kubrick's.

Theres more to minority reports ending then meets the eye if you want, you can choose to see it as it is, or choose to think of it in another way....either way it doesnt really matter since youve already proclaimed the ending "shit."

Exactly. I read Dick's short story of Minority Report and really like how the movie was handled. It basically follows the core storyline of the book right up to the end, then throws a curve and added some depth to the story that the short story lacked, and it actually helped it.

The biggest problem with Minority report is that the big action sequnece isn't the climax of the film. The climax is very quiet and personal relative to everything else in the movie.

I still think Minority is a great film as I appreciate it for what it is.

Rlan

I saw A.I last night, it was on here in Australia.

Very depressing film :( Poor Bugger. But I'll agree with a friend of mine - The movie should have stopped when he was wishing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Archaix said:
Am I the only person on the planet who finds the AI ending horribly depressing?

Nope. The movie's brilliance comes in how the Kubrick and Spielberg cold and warm styles, respectively, clash and mix to create something incredibly new and interesting. Sure, the ending appears to be happy, but anyone with a brain that thinks about it will realize that it's all a hollow illusion covering a depressing end. Speilberg lures the audience into losing sight of what's authentic and real just as the AI lures David. The film asks the question whether such undying hope is the greatest strength or weakness of humanity, or more likely, both, and in the process puts the audience through much of what David experiences himself. The very fact that many people thought the ending was cheery and happy shows just how much that hope prevails over self-evident truth. Personally, I think AI is an utterly brilliant film with a couple minor issues (like some of the voice work, Robin Williams and Chris Rock's voices are too distinct and jarring). I think the biggest problem people have with it is that they insist on classifying it as either a Spielberg or a Kubrickian film, and the truth is that it's both at once. The best part is that Kubrick knew that Spielberg's warm touches would enhance the coldness of the story, and that's why he originally wanted to pass the project to him.

Anywho...

As for The Terminal, I enjoyed it a lot, but when you get down to it critically it's a mixed bag. Too many things are unexplained for the film to maintain any internal consistency in the world. Sure, it might not be realistic, but it too often crosses the line of mild whimsy to ask the audience to take giant leaps of faith. How was Viktor an extremely talented carpenter? Why was he interested in Amelia? He didn't appear to show any interest at all in staying in America. For that matter, why did he want to go back home? There was no evidence of him having a career or family there, so why return, outside of legal mumbo jumbo which the film wasn't too concerned with anyhow? How did Viktor and Amelia get so close considering they only met 3 or 4 times?

However, I must say that the first 30 minutes or so were stellar. The way Spielberg painted Viktor's feelings of alienation and anguish upon finding himself lost in a sea of foreign, uncaring and faceless travelers in JFK while watching footage of his country's civil war... well that was beautifully done, with huge credit to Spielberg's ability to summon, or assign himself, a large budget to actually build a massive chunk of an airport. Very nicely done, and visual expressions of emotion are definitely strengths Spielberg can put to great use when he chooses.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dan said:
Nope. The movie's brilliance comes in how the Kubrick and Spielberg cold and warm styles, respectively, clash and mix to create something incredibly new and interesting. Sure, the ending appears to be happy, but anyone with a brain that thinks about it will realize that it's all a hollow illusion covering a depressing end. Speilberg lures the audience into losing sight of what's authentic and real just as the AI lures David. The film asks the question whether such undying hope is the greatest strength or weakness of humanity, or more likely, both, and in the process puts the audience through much of what David experiences himself. The very fact that many people thought the ending was cheery and happy shows just how much that hope prevails over self-evident truth. Personally, I think AI is an utterly brilliant film with a couple minor issues (like some of the voice work, Robin Williams and Chris Rock's voices are too distinct and jarring). I think the biggest problem people have with it is that they insist on classifying it as either a Spielberg or a Kubrickian film, and the truth is that it's both at once. The best part is that Kubrick knew that Spielberg's warm touches would enhance the coldness of the story, and that's why he originally wanted to pass the project to him.
agree 100% Couldnt have said it better myself. I love this film, most likely my second favorite Spielberg film.

Manders

Banned
I just saw The Terminal the other night. Might as well contribute my opinion. I thought it was decent, but I had some complaints.

It took a while for the film to pick up. I was literally falling asleep waiting for something, anything to happen.

I didn't really know what the hell Stanley Tucci's character's problem was. Why was he such an ass? He was trying to fool this poor innocent foreigner into committing some crime by leaving the airport. It felt contrived.

And finally, why didn't the black guy lose his job when he let Hanks leave the airport? Tucci was like c'mon buddy. Lets get back to work. And then Tucci didn't even care that Hanks got out of the airport, after he used so much energy to keep him there throughout the first 110 minutes of the film, just to let him leave in the last 10 minutes and not even care.

effzee

spielberg is one of my fav directors. he is great track record and 99% of the time i can go see a movie with his name attached to it without even doubting the quality. i mean minority report and catch me if u can are two of my fav movies!! i really think catch me if u can is underrated...its a comedy but there are some great characters and emotion in it.

spielberg needs to finsih the jurassic park series off with a bang by directing one final movie all by himself.

btw speaking of jurassic park...it was on earlier on USA i think. till this day the visuals amaze me in how seemless they are and how reall they look. movies that come out now dont look as good as that. anyway i saw the movie when it first came out (93 i think) and was 10 so at that moment i enjoyed it on a diff level. i mean i was amazed and my jaw was on the floor. it was truly an amazing moment when i first saw the dinos. but now watching it..the movie is so much more...so clever, thrilling, and well crafted. i know crichton deserves much credit also for the source material but i dont think anyone else could have handled the movie then spielberg.

edit: war of the worlds...whos in in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom