• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Tim Burton's "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

Looks like they changed some stuff significantly from the books. (The books are great, btw). Main girl in the books has control over fire and doesn't have anything to do with being weightless. That was another character altogether.

Visually it (unsurprisingly) looks great.
Even at his worst(Dark Shadows) Burton makes it good/great to look at.
b24c7b2e207b32468f5b3af727cd43a8.jpg

tumblr_mm8q9qBoZn1s7tapeo1_r4_250.gif

And he brings Danny Elfman on music.

Wanderer5

Did they repeat a scene in the trailer lmao?

I guessing you mean the very beginning? I noticed this with the latest trailer of Kubo and the Two Strings, where they show bits of the trailer and title before the actual trailer itself lol. How weird.

Did they digitally enlarge Eva Green's eyes? There's something weird about them in a few shots.

I'd see it. Digging the weirdo monster at the end, too.

Also, did you hear? There's a new world coming. There's a new world coming. THERE'S A NEW WORLD COMING

kunonabi

Dark Shadows was underrated

No it wasn't. The early bit after the flashback and before Barnabas' return was great when it was focusing on the governess but as soon she gets shoved off to the side the whole thing crashes and burns. Eva Green was excellent and the Lolita tension with Chloe actually worked but the rest of it was embarrassing. The film should have really focused on Barnabas trying to navigate the various women of the house and been darker and more sexually charged. Carter's character should have been excised completely.

There was a great movie in there dying to get out but the final product deserves all the criticism it gets.

Always excited for Burton's stuff. Through the good and the bad I've always appreciated his unique vision on things. This actually look quite good.

That was great! I don't know anything about novel, but this trailer looks like X-Men by Tim Burton as other friends said.
And Samuel L. Jackson was a surprise for me!

3OIn2H.jpg

It's nice to see a Burton movie that's more restrained the usual Disney stuff. you sometimes forget this was the guy who made Ed Wood.

Man though, that main boy says like three lines in the trailer, and I cringed through two of them.

Hm, alright. I'll check this out.

Was a little annoyed that the cast is all (or at least mostly) white and SLJ playing the villain though. Come on, mix it up Burton.

Tansut

This looks like a BBC adaptation of the X-Men.

I can't muster any feelings for it, but hopefully Burton still has it in him to make something good.

No over the top cartoony CG visuals? No johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter?

I know nothing about the book, but I'm in just to support a modern Burton movie that doesn't look like the others.

jett

D-Member
That sure looks like stuff.

His previous movie was incredibly bland. At least this weirdness is more up his alley.

so practical effects are pretty much dead in most films at least, oh well. makes the movies worse as they are right now with making most everything cg

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ugh, terrible, reminds me of Alice, and Burton's comatose camera skills already make me think of another soporific cheesefest

He probably works with the script writers closely. Aren't a lot of his films at least based on his ideas?
Yeah, looking at his filmography he's at least credited with writing the story for the basis of the script sometimes but even then that's rare.

I'm not seeing much of a pattern in the screen writers yet so many of his films have problems with unnecessary back stories and exposition, it's hard to believe that he's not heavily influencing the scenarios even if he's not the primary writer.

Do all the "finally no Helena, no Depp, no CGI-fest" people in here realize his most recent movie was 'Big Eyes' with Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams?

Protome

Do all the "finally no Helena, no Depp, no CGI-fest" people in here realize his most recent movie was 'Big Eyes' with Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams?
Don't be silly. Big Eyes was good and remembering it exists ruins the "Burton made a couple of mediocre movies recently so he sucks" narrative.

Salsa

man burton went bland as fuck

visuals look barely like him

CG really fucked him up

was hoping for a return to form after Big Eyes, which I still enjoyed but didnt even feel like a film by him

Why does CGI in Burton's movies always looks so fake?

Also it seems the man has lost ambition... to be fair he accomplished so much, but his movies are not exciting anymore. Big Fish was his last great one.

justjohn

Did he fall out with Johnny depp?

Also, someone needs to tell Hollywood there are more black actors than Samuel L Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom