• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flipping the bird

WarPig

I was playing the new Def Jam last night, and there's this scene in the story mode where you give Busta Rhymes the finger while you're driving away from a fight. So I got to wondering.

What's the first game to ever have someone flipping the bird in it? The earliest I can recall would be whatever WWF game had Steve Austin using it as a taunt, but it seems to me there ought to have been some random occurrence further back. Any guesses?

DFS.

epmode

first time i remember it is from grand theft auto 3. yknow, whenever you walk in front of a moving car.

vireland

In the close but no cigar department, would be Cosmic Fantasy II way back in 1992. The Japanese release had the bird, and NEC required it to be removed from the US version. Became a shaking fist.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
A magical angel of love....what? Somebody's got you confused with Betty Crocker.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the Austin taunt is the first instance.

WarPig

bishoptl said:
A magical angel of love....what? Somebody's got you confused with Betty Crocker.

I think that one's Drinky's fault -- I don't get the joke either.

Were there never any pixelly little 16-bit middle fingers?

Edit: Another think Def Jam made me curious about, now that I think about it. The first game to use the word "motherfucker." All I can think of is The Suffering, because GTA was always a little reticent with the F-word and I don't think they had it in The Getaway.

DFS.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
WarPig said:
I think that one's Drinky's fault -- I don't get the joke either.

Were there never any pixelly little 16-bit middle fingers?

Edit: Another think Def Jam made me curious about, now that I think about it. The first game to use the word "motherfucker." All I can think of is The Suffering, because GTA was always a little reticent with the F-word and I don't think they had it in The Getaway.

DFS.

Well deathrow had probably every swear word you can think of in it. It was listed as a feature on the back of the box.

WarPig

Ghost said:
Well deathrow had probably every swear word you can think of in it. It was listed as a feature on the back of the box.
Ah, right. I missed that whole period of the Xbox. Occurs to me that Conker might have had it, too, albeit with a bleep in the middle.

DFS.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wasn't there a Final Fight clone on the SNES that featured a boss who flipped you the bird? Damn, I can't remember the name right now...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
First time I recall hearing "Fuck" in a video game was Bloodrayne. While it's probably not the first, it sure did feel forced an not necessary.

Top Bottom