• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Governor signs bill banning local govs making paid sick leave mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Then the price of goods and services goes up all over. For all the honest people you have that need this policy there are twice as many taking advantage and fucking it up for people.

Then explain to me why studies involving mandatory sick leave have zero impact or a positive impact on businesses?

You're argument is the same as the argument for drug testing for welfare. Thats not a good camp to be in

CrankyJay

Banned
I've only taken 3 sick days in the last year but it's crazy how Americans barely get any holidays or sick leave. What if you break a bone? Or fall seriously ill? Tough shit? That's sure as hell not going to heal in 5 days.

Nope, there is stuff such as short term disability etc.

Zoe

Exactly this sort of shit is insane.

Cut your hours from 40-28 so no healthcare.

Go spend 3 hours waiting at a free clinic (next to other sick people)

or

Pay out of pocket to have a dr spend 30 sec on you and say go home you're sick but not dying.

I feel so lucky that I don't work with a scumbag boss/management.

To be fair, I have never worked anywhere that required a note after a single day. Usually it's when it's more than 2 days.

LuchaShaq

Banned
To be fair, I have never worked anywhere that required a note after a single day. Usually it's when it's more than 2 days.

At one of my current jobs, didn't call out for like 2 years, got horribly sick and had to basically call out for two weeks with a fever that eventually sent me to the emergency room with a 104 temp.

No note asked for.

Sent over delivery food twice to make sure I was eating.

Asked if I needed help with any medical bill from my time out (didn't have any bills outside of copay, I have insurance through family).

Small company (less than 10 people) gave me paid time off anyways even though not legally mandated and I didn't expect it at all.

This is a big reason why I'd have to get paid basically double/triple to leave this job.

Zoe

At one of my current jobs, didn't call out for like 2 years, got horribly sick and had to basically call out for two weeks with a fever that eventually sent me to the emergency room with a 104 temp.

No note asked for.

Sent over delivery food twice to make sure I was eating.

Asked if I needed help with any medical bill from my time out (didn't have any bills outside of copay, I have insurance through family).

Small company (less than 10 people) gave me paid time off anyways even though not legally mandated and I didn't expect it at all.

This is a big reason why I'd have to get paid basically double/triple to leave this job.

I think a small company is a bit different. What reason would they have to think you're lying about that?

At a big company with hundreds of employees, they need those things for their records because they can't keep track of everybody. At my job (a government job) you don't necessarily have to hand over a note, but come audit time if they ask you to justify your leave, you need to be able to prove it.

Aesius

If you need more than 5 sick days a year, might I suggest a change in lifestyle? Unless you have kids, thats a different story.

The fuck are you on about? Yes, because coming down with a flu or severe stomach virus is a lifestyle choice that can be avoided.

Aesius

Also, catch all PTO is the fucking worst thing ever. I get 15 days per year. That includes vacation, sick time, personal days, etc. I was sick a couple weeks ago and missed 2.5 days. Because we accumulate time each pay period, I'm now nearly in the hole for time off, despite only taking 1 day off between January and June.

I have a trip lined up in August, and if I miss another day between now and then, they will probably make me cancel it.

Also, catch all PTO is the fucking worst thing ever. I get 15 days per year. That includes vacation, sick time, personal days, etc. I was sick a couple weeks ago and missed 2.5 days. Because we accumulate time each pay period, I'm now nearly in the hole for time off, despite only taking 1 day off between January and June.

I have a trip lined up in August, and if I miss another day between now and then, they will probably make me cancel it.

I don't understand. If you have 15 days off, how could you be in the hole? Do you mean you can get up to 15 days off that must be earned throughout the year?

The last place I worked at (pizza delivery) actually had a policy where anyone that called in was written up unless a doctor's note was supplied. I think at the most you were allowed two unpaid sick days a year.

Naturally, when I told my boss I wouldn't be able to make it to work because I was in the ER, he basically implied that he was going to fire me.

How do a lot of you guys handle family emergencies or doctor's appointments? Those come out of my sick days as well. Five would not be enough. I get ten a year and just recently got upgraded to 15 days of vacation after five years. I have absolutely no problems using them all.

Also, if people are calling in sick all the time at a place of employment, that's a pretty good indicator of bad morale. People don't want to be somewhere were they feel like shit.

Jesus christ, I get 9.5 hours of sick leave a month and it accrues if I don't use it. And we have people talking about all you need is 5hrs per year?!

America is the most ass backwards country ever.

NekoFever

How do a lot of you guys handle family emergencies or doctor's appointments? Those come out of my sick days as well. Five would not be enough. I get ten a year and just recently got upgraded to 15 days of vacation after five years. I have absolutely no problems using them all.

Also, if people are calling in sick all the time at a place of employment, that's a pretty good indicator of bad morale. People don't want to be somewhere were they feel like shit.
In this country the legal minimum for full-time staff is 28 days. And there's no limit on sick days. Just saying.

Aesius

I don't understand. If you have 15 days off, how could you be in the hole? Do you mean you can get up to 15 days off that must be earned throughout the year?

I went in the hole by about 15 hours last year because of terrible morale. Things improved, so I didn't take any days off for months to pull myself out of it. I had about 28 hours built up before I got sick. Now I'm back down to about 8 hours, but I have 24 hours scheduled in August. I won't earn enough hours by then, so that trip will put me back in the hole again. It's a vicious cycle that can only be stopped by not getting sick and not taking a single say off for 6+ months.

It fucking sucks, and it really makes me want to quit.

In this country the legal minimum for full-time staff is 28 days. And there's no limit on sick days. Just saying.

Just for clarity, that link says an employer can include holidays as part of this minimum. Am I understanding this correctly? And if so, how common is that?

Usually when yanks say they get "15 days" or something, they're not including holdiays.

Just for clarity, that link says an employer can include holidays as part of this minimum. Am I understanding this correctly? And if so, how common is that?

Usually when yanks say they get "15 days" or something, they're not including holdiays.

Yeah, in North America it's usually separate. You have holiday days and sick days.

Still, in Canada I got 10 sick days and 10 holiday day when I started with my current employer. Those 10 sick days can't be used as holiday days if I want to take some time off. That still comes under the 28 days you start with in the UK and those days can be used for whatever as long as you give appropriate notice.

I'm now at 10 sick days and 15 holiday days after 5 years and I'm still under the number that you start with in the UK.

Pretty much any time the term "job creation" is used, you know you're probably getting screwed.

To follow, "job creation" and "fair wage and working conditions" are not the same thing. I really think we'd be better off if folks wrapped their heads around that.

Vyroxis

Banned

Some of us just flat out don't get sick. I can build up 200 hours of PTO a year, I use maybe 2-3 days of it and cash the rest in.

NekoFever

Usually your employment contract will specify your discretionary allowance, i.e. how many you have to take whenever you like, not including the public holidays. I have 22 days discretionary, plus the eight (sometimes nine) public holidays, for a total of 30.

RDreamer

The last place I worked at (pizza delivery) actually had a policy where anyone that called in was written up unless a doctor's note was supplied. I think at the most you were allowed two unpaid sick days a year.

Naturally, when I told my boss I wouldn't be able to make it to work because I was in the ER, he basically implied that he was going to fire me.

Requiring a doctor's note is fucking dumb. Who goes to the doctor every time they're sick and can't get to work? That's expensive as shit.

I know, and I have the background to apply for citizenship too. I've come close many times to packing up my things and moving to the UK.

Do it, with UK citizenship you can work in the entire EU. No reason to let yourself be used as a slave by Republicans and corporations.

Fantasmo

If you need more than 5 sick days a year, might I suggest a change in lifestyle? Unless you have kids, thats a different story.

There's something clearly wrong with your brain and the way it functions, and its the exact thing that affects managers at all levels. You clearly don't value workers as people.

According to my Sports Authority handbook, here in Florida, starting January full time will be considered 30 hours.

I'm not sure if it's for all of Florida, or just SA.

EDIT-I'll have to double-check my numbers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thats cool, I'll just come into work while sick. I mean I'm already sick, what do I care

I hope everyone brought their hand sanitizer

And doesn't expect me to do work because I'm going to sleep and snot all over my keyboard.

Or some of us are public workers/nurses where we have to deal with the sick during certain "seasons" and may have a higher risk of catching sick than you?

Requiring a doctor's note is fucking dumb. Who goes to the doctor every time they're sick and can't get to work? That's expensive as shit.
I lost a job because of this. I got sick and couldn't get out of bed for 3 days. I made sure to call in each day to let them know I was really ill. Job still required a doctor's note if you were out 3 or more days. Problem was that I had no insurance and going to the doctor was out of the question since I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I tried to explain, but to no avail.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm betting that it comes from the same mentality that thinks that its "easy and affordable" to go to college debt-free.

Fantasmo

I lost a job because of this. I got sick and couldn't get out of bed for 3 days. I made sure to call in each day to let them know I was really ill. Job still required a doctor's note if you were out 3 or more days. Problem was that I had no insurance and going to the doctor was out of the question since I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I tried to explain, but to no avail.
America. Where its fully within a company's rights to fire a worker who is sick and can't afford treatment. And one FOR WHICH THERE IS NO TREATMENT ASIDE FROM REST.

Every time I read something like this I shake my head in shame. Thankfully, not all of the US has fucktards for state/local leaders or works for evil employers whose only concern is the bottom line. No one should have to go into work sick, but it's the status quo for so many. Hopefully one day soon unions will make a major comeback in the US because we desperately need them.

Both full- and part-time employees would earn one hour of sick time for every 37 hours they work, to a maximum of 56 hours annually. Employers with fewer than 15 workers would not have to provide sick pay but could not penalize workers who took unpaid time off for being sick.
Is this just the minimum companies have to offer but can have their own numbers that are better if they want?

For comparison I work near Seattle and I get a little under 7 hours of PTO every 2 weeks up to a max of 200 (25 days) but there is no annual maximum. As long as I'm not at the limit I will keep accruing the hours. I'm currently at the limit so I need to take at least 2 days off every month or else I will lose potential PTO. Once I hit 10 years with this company my max will go up to 240 hours (30 days) with an accrual rate of almost 8 hours every 2 weeks. I also have a "floating holiday" that I can use whenever but I only get one per year and it's use it or lose it.

This PTO setup is pretty badass and I like that there is no separation between vacation and sick days. If you want a day off you take a day off and the reason doesn't matter. Seems like this law is good in that it allows part-timers to get days off but 56 hours annually seems low.

Is this just the minimum companies have to offer but can have their own numbers that are better if they want?

For comparison I work near Seattle and I get a little under 7 hours of PTO every 2 weeks up to a max of 200 (25 days) but there is no annual maximum. As long as I'm not at the limit I will keep accruing the hours. I'm currently at the limit so I need to take at least 2 days off every month or else I will lose potential PTO. Once I hit 10 years with this company my max will go up to 240 hours (30 days) with an accrual rate of almost 8 hours every 2 weeks. I also have a "floating holiday" that I can use whenever but I only get one per year and it's use it or lose it.

This PTO setup is pretty badass and I like that there is no separation between vacation and sick days. If you want a day off you take a day off and the reason doesn't matter. Seems like this law is good in that it allows part-timers to get days off but 56 hours annually seems low.

My company is similar, we get 9.5 every two weeks (I previously said monthly, but I was wrong) maximum is 20 days. I can use it on myself or family members, and we get 9.5hrs of annual every 2 weeks as well.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have something similar and they get hit with something major. 5 days a year is the dumbest thing I've ever heard suggested.

Kusagari

Voldemort was actually trying to appeal moderate for a bit earlier this year. I guess he gave up when he realized his approval ratings were still in the shitter and has decided to go back to crazy town in the lead up to 2014.

What reality do you live in where you think it is right that people should be penalized for needing to take more than five days off due to illness each year? What do you personally have to gain from this?

Amory

Hell my job has amazing benefits and I only get 3 sick days a year lol

I never get sick though, so whatever. I just use them as extra vacation days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom