• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to make record $41,500,000 USD for Canelo fight this Saturday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

8dRo8vT.jpg

espn said:
LAS VEGAS -- Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. will indeed receive a record purse of $41.5 million for his junior middleweight unification showdown with fellow titleholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

The contract was filed Wednesday with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, executive director Keith Kizer told ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9662239/floyd-mayweather-record-415m-purse-finalized
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...vs-canelo-discuss-boxings-biggest-fight-ever/

This comes in addition to the $32 million he made earlier this year for beating Robert Guerrero.

Mayweather was the highest paid athlete in 2012 and it looks like he will again be head and shoulders above every other athlete in the world this year.

Main hype thread for Mayweather vs. Alvarez:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673377

Edit:
He will make much more than that after the PPV numbers are tallied up.
That's true. The $41.5M is a record guarantee. He has actually made more than that in the past. He made something like $43M for the Cotto fight.

dorkimoe

so...win or lose he gets that? I would step in the ring for that much..(soon as the bell rang i would just jump to the floor and speed count to 10 myself)

I really didnt know that many people paid for these PPV's still...?

FreeMufasa

Boss man tings.

50 said he's stupid as hell tho. Will blow all his money and then have to fight again to make more. No investment.

so...win or lose he gets that? I would step in the ring for that much..(soon as the bell rang i would just jump to the floor and speed count to 10 myself)

Floyd fights are HUGE. Watched by ppl all over the world.

bjork

I'd get in there for that much too, but I'd at least try instead of laying down immediately. People might go "you're that guy that go KOed in one hit" but I'd be like "I'm also the guy who never has to work again, please finish washing my cars."

And he probably has his entourage betting millions on his fights too so he probably pockets even more cash for this one.

Damn, that's more than LeBron has made over the course of his career in Miami.

liger05

50 said he's stupid as hell tho. Will blow all his money and then have to fight again to make more. No investment.

50's hating.

Mayweather is one of the smartest dudes in the business.

I think the buyrate for this fight will be about 1.7 - 1.9 mil. Would be amazing if it hit the 2 mil buy rate.

Last week on twitter I saw Dan Rafael asked Dana White if there will be a day when a UFC fighter earns a $41 mil guarantee for 1 fight. Dana White said yes. That is never going to happen!!!

Into

It seems like a ton, but one has to remember that if you remove Mayweather from this event and put almost anyone else in and it will make far far far less money. He is basically making himself and everyone here tons of money.

He is one of the best heel athletes ive seen in a long time, and he looks like he enjoys it. So many people want to see him get beaten.

sikma42

Banned
That is just the purse. He gets more for promotion I believe. He coulf walk out with 60 million for this fight.

gatti-man

It seems like a ton, but one has to remember that if you remove Mayweather from this event and put almost anyone else in and it will make far far far less money. He is basically making himself and everyone here tons of money.

He is one of the best heel athletes ive seen in a long time, and he looks like he enjoys it. So many people want to see him get beaten.

That's why I refuse to watch. The guy is an asshole I'm not giving him 1 penny.

Derrick01

Banned
Boss man tings.

He is. I've heard stories where he goes to strip clubs and just wastes up to $100,000. He's well known for giving tons of money to pretty much anyone around him too. That espn documentary about broke athletes is going to need a sequel just for him in 10 years.

Bububu mma is taking over.

It is. No one outside of boxing knows any recent boxers except Floyd and probably Pacquiao.

mnannola

Are that many more people buying a Floyd PPV than an MMA PPV? How is there so much more money here than in a big MMA fight?

Petrie

Banned
Are that many more people buying a Floyd PPV than an MMA PPV? How is there so much more money here than in a big MMA fight?

Mayweather is the only reason this can happen. MMA will get a decent buyrate without most of the guys on the card. It's about volume.

Dysun

Greasy St Pierre is the only real draw left in MMA anyway. And his buyrates are half of Floyds (at best)

Into

The distribution is a little different, top guys in MMA and boxing make the most money (obviously) but the distribution in boxing a lot more loopsided for the top talent like Mayweather

A mid card UFC fighter makes a hell of a lot more money than a midcard boxer, but the top boxer makes more money than 2-3 UFC top guys combined

liger05

It is. No one outside of boxing knows any recent boxers except Floyd and probably Pacquiao.

MMA/UFC will stay a niche sport just as much as boxing is. UFC’s demographic is 18 –35 year old white males and that isn’t going to change. The Hispanic and Black communities aint ditching boxing for UFC. That is still seen as ‘Gay’.

While Dana White likes to say stupid things like ‘MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world’ and ‘we will be bigger than soccer’ the reality is the UFC has already peaked.

Mayweather is hitting over 1 mil buys everytime. If a mayweather fight got 850k buys people would see it as a disappointment even though that is not a bad number.

Not to mention the business model he uses is what allows him to earn so much more than other fighters. Mayweather doesnt have to give 30% of his purse to a promoter for starters.

Good to see the semi main event fighters getting a good pay day Danny Garcia is making $1.5 mil and Lucas Matthyse $800k

Takuan

They don't call him "Money" for nothin'. Gonna be the first boxing match I watch in a long time. Canelo is exciting but I don't think he's got anything for dat Mayweather D.

Azih

Not to mention the business model he uses is what allows him to earn so much more than other fighters. Mayweather doesnt have to give 30% of his purse to a promoter for starters.
Seems from the article that basically Mayweather produces every aspect of a Mayweather fight (usually the promoter does, but for his fights Mayweather pays the promoter to just promote and hell pays the opposing fighter's guaranteed money as well.. everything) and since Mayweather pays... Mayweather gets the revenue. And all the net profit.

It's a 'Floyd Mayweather presents' essentially.

There are contingencies for someone doing this. If promotors and boxing officials thought that someone took a dive, they'd probably make the fight a no contest and hold the purse. That has been done before. Fighters are expected to put in some effort.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I didn't know that many people still carrier about boxing to get great PPV #s. I thought it was all MMA now.

BigDug13

Hurricane McNealy did a lot more than that for a way smaller payday. Come on man, at least put the body at risk a little bit for that payday!

oneHeero

Doesnt Mayweather have to pay for promotions and everything associated? I thought he funds everything.

How much is profits and how much is covering the expenses? I mean the fight costs millions to promote and set up, so is the 40+ million after all expenses? Even if it isnt, that's a gang of money. And he dont use any banks!

liger05

Is that Forbes article right saying he gets $0 from endorsements?

Yes and I have always wondered why that is. Wouldnt the likes of Nike, Reebok, etc etc be ready to pay millions to get an athlete like Mayweather to endorse their products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom